Author Topic: Quick Questions Thread  (Read 38216 times)

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
Re: Quick Questions Thread
« Reply #435 on: June 02, 2020, 04:24:01 PM »
I'm unsure if STO weapons need accompanying active sensors to fire? Because if they do, that would be their Achilles' heel.
I think they have an active sensor included automatically, similarly to CIWS, but I haven't tested that.

I know there is a button to turn on and off active sensors for them. In my tests I didn't really get to check out if they worked or not cause I always had out actives on when my STO's were shooting I think but they don't seem to appear on the tactical map overlay, I do believe the active is there tho.

Much like CIWS the internal Actives of the STOs are abstracted away. Every STO weapon has its own active that is strong enough to support the weapons range. Turning off their actives is paramount to telling your STOs to hold fire. Otherwise I assume they remain on.
Wiki claims STO sensors are supposed to actually work for detection. I can't confirm that in-game, but that is what it says.

Turning off their actives really shouldn't turn off their fire controls, in the same way that ships can shoot with actives off (or absent) just fine.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
Re: Quick Questions Thread
« Reply #436 on: June 03, 2020, 05:20:23 PM »
1) Has anyone found a viable usecase for retrofitting? Changing/upgrading weapons fails because cost/size, Engine because Size+cost ... same for changing colo modul vs terraforming/terraforming if the rest of the ship is the same. I litterally dont find any use cases? does anyone has some?
(Let's exclude sensors and fuel bays :P )

Armor upgrades for commercial ship designs are usually pretty cheap, and you get a faster ship. This is especially true with the first 2-3 armor techs.

I have quite a few commercial designs with engine cost <10% of total. Engine upgrades for these designs are almost always worth the refit cost.

I do plenty of other one-off upgrades.
For example, sometimes I build my first-gen survey ships before I have researched Science Department.
After I do research it, I refit all the surveyors the next time they come in for overhaul.