Author Topic: Tech Epochs  (Read 3070 times)

Offline Graymane (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
Tech Epochs
« on: May 29, 2020, 12:48:25 PM »
Being fairly new to the game, I struggle with really building much in the way of ships as I am always waiting for just one more tech.  I think I should just SM what I want and go from there ;).  I generally start conventional and research and build from scratch.  For the more experienced, are there general tech epochs or "levels" you aim for for different things (armor, engines, weapons, etc) being that there is so much to research?  Or do you just wait and see what you encounter first?  Since I start without TN tech, I set non-player races to 0.  I'm assuming that when I explore, they will spawn at my tech level?

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
Re: Tech Epochs
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 04:45:56 PM »
If I'm understanding this bit correctly, setting the NPRs to start from 0 probably doesn't work:
"Starting Tech Points for NPRs cannot be reduced below 100k" (From the known issues post, under working as intended.)

I think newly generated NPRs may also get bonus tech for the years since game start, but I'm not sure about that.

My experience has usually been similar to yours in that ship construction tends to be pushed back indefinitely unless there's an urgent need for them - especially since for a significant chunk of time there are no enemies around so any warships built will molder into obsolescence without ever serving any real purpose. Of course, that can be a problem if the first threat you run into is an aggressive one, and the ships you will need to fight them won't be available for several years...

The following users thanked this post: Graymane

Offline Thrake

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 05:14:11 PM »
Build with wathever techs you have and call it a day. It doesn't matter that your ships will be obsolated later on, just refit them.

In an ideal world you would only build perfect ships with perfect technology, but this ideal has no place in a strategy game where you have to deal with wathever cards you have in your hand, and so will your opponents.

My understanding is that the AI will in part look at your visible fleet strenght to consider wether it wants to respect your claims, so sheer display of strenght can also be useful even if you don't plan to attack.

Offline Gabethebaldandbold

• last member of the noob swarm
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 05:53:41 PM »
If I'm understanding this bit correctly, setting the NPRs to start from 0 probably doesn't work:
"Starting Tech Points for NPRs cannot be reduced below 100k" (From the known issues post, under working as intended.)
I think he just didn't start with any NPRs
To beam, or not to beam.   That is the question
the answer is you beam. and you better beam hard.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 06:08:04 PM »
I tend to cut back on research rate quite a lot (and spread my labs between a lot of different projects) to extend the amount of time between techs so that its more worth building stuff.

Offline Ri0Rdian

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Discord Username: Ri0Rdian#3639
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 06:43:06 PM »
I have the same problem, even after years of playing Aurora (generally in many other games too, but here it is much more extreme). Since I am not playing any standard games most of the time (population, research speed and similar), I usually do not start with NPR too. And there is always the new better tech, so why should I build a ship now, right?

I somehow solved it (more like a band-aid waiting to burst one day due to bad luck) by at least building Jump Point Defence platforms. I use pairs and each single one can engage 3 targets at once (or focus one REALLY unlucky fellow). This way even if I stumble upon enemy, he is aggressive and I have no fleet I am in quite good position, nothing ever came through to slap me for being too naive without a fleet. Getting through a JP is generally hard if it is properly defended so that is the best force multiplier you can have.

I usually HAVE some military design ready to produce, buys me at least half a year or so. Usually shares lots of stuff with my JP bases though, so not really a great ship in general, more like mobile version of it.

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 07:54:08 PM »
I find that engine tech jumps are a good benchmark , since they impact so many things: Ship speed/mission fraction, missiles, beam weapon capability indirectly through speed, power plants, and civilian designs. Engines are also often large enough components that it's impossible or expensive to simply refit existing designs.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 07:56:57 PM »
Being fairly new to the game, I struggle with really building much in the way of ships as I am always waiting for just one more tech.  I think I should just SM what I want and go from there ;).  I generally start conventional and research and build from scratch.  For the more experienced, are there general tech epochs or "levels" you aim for for different things (armor, engines, weapons, etc) being that there is so much to research?  Or do you just wait and see what you encounter first?  Since I start without TN tech, I set non-player races to 0.  I'm assuming that when I explore, they will spawn at my tech level?

I think Aurora is more grindy that you think. Especially now that you can easily deal with 50 to 70 systems in the first game hours building is the key.

As your production should always bu busy building at 5% all most important structures such as construction factories, automines, research labs etc with accasionally boost of single important projects so your shipyards should be always busy in expanding capacity, slots or building ships.

If you play without NPR at start (as I do) you actually need more ships as the NPR generated after will have strenght based on a formula that will consider not only your base tech and population but also the time passed since start.

You could soon find yourself in the unconfortable position of simply not being able to close the gap with your opponent assuming he is hostile.

Remember that NPR here play same rules as we do, when they discover you they have 0 intel and if they see 100 ships in the system they may back up even if they are technologically superior. This means also that speed is very important as the AI might decide to take its chances if it thinks he can outrun you if things go down the drain with a first strike.

Also release new classes after having been spotted as well it's a good idea to keep the AI on its toes with intelligence.

Offline kenlon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • k
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 08:21:48 PM »
Being fairly new to the game, I struggle with really building much in the way of ships as I am always waiting for just one more tech.

The fix for that is actually very simple: Slow down your research rate. I play on 15-25% research speed, and it means that you end up with eras of tech in a very natural way.

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 08:29:52 PM »
Build with wathever techs you have and call it a day. It doesn't matter that your ships will be obsolated later on, just refit them.

This. This concept is entirely plausible and somewhat realistic. It's depressing to think about too deeply however...
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 08:53:33 PM »

This. This concept is entirely plausible and somewhat realistic. It's depressing to think about too deeply however...
There's another game I've been playing that's helped accustom me to the idea, but Aurora doesn't have some of the aspects that help set the pace there. (Rule the Waves II. For most of the game you've got to always at least have the next generation of battleships under construction or you'll have a dire capability gap in about three years time.)

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 09:40:46 PM »
One thing I like about Aurora is that it punishes poor planning with regards to research and industrial development. You might be able field a ginormous navy from your 500k ton naval yard, but maintaining it is whole other strategic consideration. Research is a similar beast.

Offline Pedroig

• Lt. Commander
  • P
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 09:50:10 PM »
RTW I and II both helps with this.  Strangely, building capital ships with planned obsolescence in mind is not a bad idea, So your Nuclear Pulse engine ships/tech levels would be some early game "front line" ships, but by the time you are in Ion/M-P they would be back system defense/PPV only units, with "retirement" in a few years. 

Bottom line, is to get whatever you can support, until you run dry of supply minerals...
si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 09:51:36 PM »

There's another game I've been playing that's helped accustom me to the idea, but Aurora doesn't have some of the aspects that help set the pace there. (Rule the Waves II. For most of the game you've got to always at least have the next generation of battleships under construction or you'll have a dire capability gap in about three years time.)

You might find this article interesting: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Dakota-class_battleship_(1939)

It discussed some of the research and development limitations faced by one of the largest battleships ever produced. It took nearly 25 years to produce these ships from their initial inception and their designs were constrained by several global political factors, notably total tonnage, gun size, and gun number.

I find this design interesting because it was the best available 'off the shelf' design in the US arsenal at the outbreak of WWII. So from a practical standpoint it is a balance between best available technology and industrial capability. Combat testing revealed design deficiencies however these ships were expected to be highly capable when produced.

I should also perhaps note that in my youth I had the opportunity to tour USS Massachusetts.  Even today she remains an impressive artifact.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 10:17:45 PM by liveware »

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 10:49:27 PM »
I tend to call a tech epoch what costs the same. So once I have defined the design(s) philosophy of my fleet, I research say all the necessary techs that would cost 4000 RP for example. Once that's done, I design my ships, shift my labs to researches which are not ship components (so productivity techs, etc.) so that the time gap is further increased.

Once I feel I have paused enough ship techs, I browse the tech tree to see what will be my next stop, like 8000 RP or so, and start again.

The following users thanked this post: liveware, Graymane