Author Topic: Well hello there! Now for some questions...  (Read 2056 times)

Offline dammrebel (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
Well hello there! Now for some questions...
« on: December 12, 2008, 10:36:28 AM »
Installed the game just last night (or rather got it working last night after Steve mercifully gave me some tips in a e-mail).

I went through the tutorials just fine. I was able to create a human empire, do my tech and start up stuff like the tutorials show. I built some survey ships and was able to figure out how to assign them to TF's and assign leaders. I was then even able to figure out how to survey Washington star system (one of the 3 connected to sol) just fine and even do the resource surveys to find if the planets in that system had minerals (very few what a crappy system! heh).

But then I turned to military examples. I was reading Kurt's six powers campaign till the wee hours (kudos sir on a well written and thought out campaign) and I wanted to test ICBM fire to see how devestating nuclear attacks would be in this game. The six powers game seems to came close to the brink several times and it got me thinking. But even though I could design ICBM PDC and ICBM ship bases (after realizing whoops I suppose I need magazines for my missile heh) I was able to load ammo etc, but I can't seem to figure out how to target the second human earth nation I created to be my targetting dummy. I've been reading the mechanics and academy sections but cant seem to find a post about how to initiate this type (or combat in general) combat.

Any help in pointing me to the correct posts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Well hello there! Now for some questions...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 02:42:40 PM »
If you hit F8, that will bring up the combat screen. From there, you can select forces and targets and allow them to obliterate each other.

I recommend incrementing time in 5 sec intervals during combat.

Offline dammrebel (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 05:47:35 PM »
Well that was interesting, and fun in a Docctor Strangelove slim pickens sort of way. Anyone every play Yaquinto games Ultimatum? heh

The "USA" dropped 108 or so conventional ICBM on "China" and only killed 64.8m folks which seems low, but did blot out most of their factories and left them with just 1 lab, but the big issue seems to be the fallout (dust). Which effects everyone, -6.48% industry and -1.62% growth.

At what rate does radioactive dust disapate?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 08:42:18 AM »
Quote from: "dammrebel"
Well that was interesting, and fun in a Docctor Strangelove slim pickens sort of way. Anyone every play Yaquinto games Ultimatum? heh

The "USA" dropped 108 or so conventional ICBM on "China" and only killed 64.8m folks which seems low, but did blot out most of their factories and left them with just 1 lab, but the big issue seems to be the fallout (dust). Which effects everyone, -6.48% industry and -1.62% growth.

At what rate does radioactive dust disapate?
Those were only conventional ICBMs. Wait till you have some TN ICBMs with fifty point warheads :)

Background radiation is reduced by 100 per year. Dust is reduced by 250 per year. The dust in this sense is the atmospheric dust that blots out the sun and reduces temperature. I suppose I could have done it by half life but I wanted to emphasise the penalties for nuking a planet till it glows.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 08:43:20 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
If you hit F8, that will bring up the combat screen. From there, you can select forces and targets and allow them to obliterate each other.

I recommend incrementing time in 5 sec intervals during combat.
You can also access the combat setup for individual units by using one of the tabs on the ship window (F6) but the F8 window is usually easier.

Steve