Author Topic: Thermal and EM Sensors  (Read 3791 times)

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
Thermal and EM Sensors
« on: December 17, 2008, 02:36:12 PM »
I've found a way to use Aurora on my Vista laptop and I'm in the progress of creating my first race for some time (last time I used Aurora was before V2.0 I think).  Could someone explain what EM sensors and Thermal sensors are useful for please?  I've read the topics on Search and FC sensors and I'm happy with them; I'm not sure I understand what EM and thermal sensors would be used for.

Welchbloke
Welchbloke

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Thermal and EM Sensors
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 03:06:11 PM »
Both are passive detection systems.  Thermal basicly detects active engines, while EM basicly detects active sensors and shields.  IIRC colonies also produce detectable thermal and em imissions.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 03:22:38 PM »
OK thanks very much,
Are either considerecd essential?  I can see some uility for the Thermal Sensors allowing ships a limited detection capability without going active.

Welchbloke
Welchbloke

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 03:51:33 PM »
If I recall, colonies generate a larger EM signature than thermal.

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 04:48:10 PM »
You are correct; I have checked my new race's capital and they are generating an EM signature more than 3 times greater than their thermal signature.  So I guess EM sensors might have some use in determining if a system is colonised.

Welchbloke
Welchbloke

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 05:23:56 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
You are correct; I have checked my new race's capital and they are generating an EM signature more than 3 times greater than their thermal signature.  So I guess EM sensors might have some use in determining if a system is colonised.

Welchbloke
Also em sensors can detect active grav sensors and shields.  If close enough they will tell you the shield strength of a ship.  I think they also can detect beam weapon fire control, but I am not sure of that.

Brian

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 11:17:05 PM »
OK thanks very much,
Are either considerecd essential?  I can see some uility for the Thermal Sensors allowing ships a limited detection capability without going active.

Welchbloke

Are they essential? Of course they are!
The situation in Aurora (as I see it as a newby) is very likely to todays submarines. Yes, you can go active and see the enemy, if he is in range, but any enemy with passives within 10x that range will see *you* once you do this
You can also build missiles with thermal or EM seeking warheads, so you could be blown away without ever knowing you´re under attack.

Flying around with active sensors all the time is not something I would recomend!
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 07:39:06 AM »
OK thanks very much,

Welchbloke

Depends on how you define 'essential'.  Too the overall game I do consider them essential.  

Does every ship need a set?  That depends on how you want your fleet(s) to operate.  I've had races that absolutely require them, at some size, on every ship.  While others have them resetricted to fleet scouts, explorers, and large combat platforms.  And a few mixes in between as well.  Usually I make sure that ships intended for idependent operations have them.  

Best advise is to play around with different ideas until you find a setup you like.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 10:18:39 AM »
Thanks for all the replies; as Charlie suggests I'll play around with them until I get a combination and setup I like.

Welchbloke
Welchbloke

Offline dammrebel

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 10:56:50 AM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"
OK thanks very much,

Welchbloke

Are they essential? Of course they are!
The situation in Aurora (as I see it as a newby) is very likely to todays submarines. Yes, you can go active and see the enemy, if he is in range, but any enemy with passives within 10x that range will see *you* once you do this
You can also build missiles with thermal or EM seeking warheads, so you could be blown away without ever knowing you´re under attack.

Flying around with active sensors all the time is not something I would recomend!

Yeah that was the way I saw it, but I've read a lot of David Weber's books and maybe my ideal of space combat has been colored by it.