Author Topic: Tips for new players  (Read 58852 times)

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Tips for new players
« on: February 01, 2010, 09:11:39 PM »
And old ones.

One thing I like to do with the new construction scheme is dedicate 10% to replication. This gives me a continuously growing manufacturing rate, with occasional jumps from tech. I usually set it up to build 1000 CF at 10% capacity. This usually starts off with a completion date 2 centuries in advance.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Tips for new players
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 09:48:38 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
And old ones.

One thing I like to do with the new construction scheme is dedicate 10% to replication. This gives me a continuously growing manufacturing rate, with occasional jumps from tech. I usually set it up to build 1000 CF at 10% capacity. This usually starts off with a completion date 2 centuries in advance.

I do the same thing (although at a higher rate), plus adding mines so that about 0.7-0.8 mines are being built for every CF.  The reason for the mines is that one unit of production costs the work of one factory and the minerals of one mine (hmmmm guess I should up my ratio to 1.0 or higher, once shipyards and fuel refineries are taken into account).  I tend to build automated mines in the early game in anticipation of the mineral crash that will force me to move my manned mines off Earth.

John
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 10:26:20 PM by sloanjh »

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 10:14:35 PM »
Stickied.

And anyone should feel free to post things that they feel are good tips.

Offline Jetman123

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 08:51:23 PM »
What do you mean by "replication"?

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 08:55:26 PM »
Quote from: "Jetman123"
What do you mean by "replication"?

Having the construction facilities build more construction facilities.

Offline VariousArtist

• Chief Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 11:49:19 AM »
Expansion: When Ive started playing Aurora I found it much easier to start with scout/survey ships that have jumpdrives to expand the known galaxy. Its less hassle to move them around and focus on more important stuff to learn.

Jump tender ship design: The mass of the jump tender may limit the mass of the ships that can jump with it. (e.g. jump drive with 6k tons but tender mass is only 5.5k tons then the max ship size that can jump with the tender is only 5.5k tons.) Also, ships with military engines cant jump with jumpships with commercial jump drives vice versa!

Anti-Missile Missiles: are a very common defense strategy. They should be only size1, have 1 damage, be fast and agile and a range of approx 2-3m km. Floating point numbers can be used in missile design. They are supported by resolution 1 (aka "zero") scanners (to spot incomming missiles) and missile controls of the same range. Common strategy is to set them to point defense with 3-5 missiles per incomming missile.

Combat: Only active sensors give a target to lock on! ;)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 08:12:53 AM by VariousArtist »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 11:51:30 AM »
Large military jump drives are very expensive in terms of Research Points - so much so that it's generally cheaper to research Jump Drive Efficiency up to 6 and design a jump engine half the size.

Offline Balibar

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 06:52:07 AM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
Large military jump drives are very expensive in terms of Research Points - so much so that it's generally cheaper to research Jump Drive Efficiency up to 6 and design a jump engine half the size.
Good point!  The research cost for a jump drive of given efficiency goes up much faster (square?) than the size of the engine.  For example, with basic jump efficiency of 3 a 3000 jump engine costs 1000 RP and a 6000 jump engine costs 4000 RP.

Offline Tnx

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 11:44:24 AM »
Hi all, I'm pretty new to this game, I like to do conventional starts and so far I've found out that you can make Diplomatic teams and they gain skill from practicing with themselves on Earth... This probably isn't a big tip but I overlooked it for awhile, does anyone know any other things to do at the beginning of a game to help yourself out later?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 03:16:26 PM »
Quote from: "Tnx"
Hi all, I'm pretty new to this game, I like to do conventional starts and so far I've found out that you can make Diplomatic teams and they gain skill from practicing with themselves on Earth... This probably isn't a big tip but I overlooked it for awhile, does anyone know any other things to do at the beginning of a game to help yourself out later?

I know it is tempting to put all of your science labs under just a couple of leaders to get the fastest reasearch rate, but it actually will help you a lot to save 5-10 labs for developing leaders.  Pick leaders that you want to get better, assign them a task that won't be finished soon and give them one lab.  The code only checks scientists that are actively being used for advancement.  This way over the next ten years or so you will probably see those leaders get a promotion or two in their reasearch rating or administrative rating.  I tend to pick good admin ratings over reasearch ratings as in the end how many labs you can use will make more of a difference.  I have gotten one scientist up to a reasearch bonus of 55% and a admin rating of 8.  I have heard of someone getting a reasearch bonus over 100%.  That would equate to x5 of your basic reasearch rate in thier field.

Brian

Offline Tnx

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 04:50:48 PM »
Oh, in my conventional starts I start myself out with 10 research labs, and then I just research one technology at a time with my best guy for that tech..  Does the game check for scientists aging? Or just accidents/health?  So say I have 4 scientists, can I give one guy 7 labs, while allocating 1 each to the other 3 guys? That would give them all experience right? Or does number of labs factor into this experience equation?

Gah so many questions.. sorry.  Oh and, how do I increase my chances of getting more civilian administrators?  Am I right in assuming that the military academy gives me more guys for ground forces/naval commanders right?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 06:29:51 PM »
Oh, in my conventional starts I start myself out with 10 research labs, and then I just research one technology at a time with my best guy for that tech..  Does the game check for scientists aging? Or just accidents/health?  So say I have 4 scientists, can I give one guy 7 labs, while allocating 1 each to the other 3 guys? That would give them all experience right? Or does number of labs factor into this experience equation?

Gah so many questions.. sorry.  Oh and, how do I increase my chances of getting more civilian administrators?  Am I right in assuming that the military academy gives me more guys for ground forces/naval commanders right?

Scientists do age, but they have a much reduced chance of death vs the military officers.  The number of labs makes no difference with the chance of advancing them which is why 1 lab each works fine.  The academy produces all of your leaders, including the admin and scientists.

Brian

Offline Tnx

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 06:57:45 PM »
Alright here are some more nooby questions...
1. What types of ships should I be looking to build in the beginning?  So far I've got geosurvey ships and gravsurvey ships working..  I should be looking at military and commercial frigates to transport population and mining modules/colony stuff right?

2. I seem to have a huge surplus of wealth in my empire's coffers.. Am I doing something wrong? I tried to put civilian contracts for researching but no takers :\

3. Should I only be colonizing worlds with minerals? What about barren worlds that have no minerals? (I was thinking that maybe added population from the extra colonies would be worth the tax money)

Offline Tnx

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 07:06:54 PM »
Oh and another..  I have a geosurvey ship with the first geosurvey sensor (the one that costs 5000 to research), now say I survey a moon and find X and Y...  Are there minerals to be found later with better sensors and a more skilled geosurvey team?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 10:05:58 AM »
Oh and another..  I have a geosurvey ship with the first geosurvey sensor (the one that costs 5000 to research), now say I survey a moon and find X and Y...  Are there minerals to be found later with better sensors and a more skilled geosurvey team?
Once you have a done a geosurvey with a ship, you won't find any more minerals with another ship. You can then use a team until that team reports that no more minerals can be found. After that further teams would not find anything new.

So to summarise, you get one ship survey and one team survey per planet.

Steve

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha, Tuck Davis, Gerbil