Author Topic: Patch for v5.10  (Read 5400 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Patch for v5.10
« on: April 15, 2010, 08:17:29 PM »
Important! This is a database patch so if you upgrade you will lose your saved game. Don't upgrade if you want to keep playing the same campaign.

This patch can only be applied to version 4.2 or later. To apply the patch just unzip the Aurora510.zip.exe into the installation directory, overwriting two files. As usual, please treat this as a beta release for the moment and don't put a lot of work into new campaigns for the next few days until I get chance to see initial bug reports. I am playing a lot of live poker at the moment (and have been in recent weeks) so my free time is fairly limited. Therefore it may take a little more time than usual to respond to any problems with this release. Apologies in advance :)

There is something new in this release that I haven't mentioned in the forums. If you encounter it, please use spoiler tags if you talk about it in the forums so you don't spoil the surprise for other players.

http://www.pentarch.org/steve/Aurora510.zip

EDIT: The above file already includes the v5.13 patch but not the v5.14 patch, so you will need to upgrade using this file and then upgrade again to v5.14

Steve

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
Re: Patch for v5.10
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 12:41:58 AM »
:mrgreen: ty for 5.1
this evening am check ur work.
see ya mate

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 01:07:08 AM »
Nice! Thanks Steve, and I think I have spotted a couple of changes...

Look forward to seeing what else is under the hood!  :D

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 08:29:42 AM »
Quote from: "waresky"
:shock:  poker???
ehehhe be careful.Vegans r more vicious players.. :)

I am off to Vegas again next month for two weeks. I will have internet access but I won't be able to modify any code.

Steve

Offline Oscuro1987

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • O
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 10:47:55 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"

I am off to Vegas again next month for two weeks. I will have internet access but I won't be able to modify any code.

Steve

Omg i tried to play poker for a living but awesomely faceplanted lol.
Well i guess i have a REAL lower level than you xD

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 10:59:53 AM »
Quote from: "Oscuro1987"
I have been doing it for about five years. First couple of years entirely online but I have gradually shifted to 90% live. It has its ups and downs :). Turn and river are QQ, giving a final board of KQQQQ. A7 wins with four Queens and an A kicker!

Steve

Offline Oscuro1987

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • O
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 08:36:53 AM »
I have been doing it for about five years. First couple of years entirely online but I have gradually shifted to 90% live. It has its ups and downs :). Turn and river are QQ, giving a final board of KQQQQ. A7 wins with four Queens and an A kicker!

Steve

A friend of mine is doing exactly as you said.
Actually he's more 80% online and 20% live and he has around 8k$ bankroll. (he began with 50$ from a free offer rofl). It took approximately 2.5 years, maybe a bit less.

And, oh my god... THat's some kind of bad beat xD My friend would be angry if he was the losing guy xD. (yeah he's a bad loser but it seems his strategy pays).
At first i thought poker was about chance, but no... While playing and seeing my friend play there is a whole strategy, and even social engineering behind that game and i love it ^^.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 04:51:56 PM »
A friend of mine is doing exactly as you said.
Actually he's more 80% online and 20% live and he has around 8k$ bankroll. (he began with 50$ from a free offer rofl). It took approximately 2.5 years, maybe a bit less.

And, oh my god... THat's some kind of bad beat xD My friend would be angry if he was the losing guy xD. (yeah he's a bad loser but it seems his strategy pays).
At first i thought poker was about chance, but no... While playing and seeing my friend play there is a whole strategy, and even social engineering behind that game and i love it ^^.
There is a lot more skill to poker than most people appreciate, especially in terms of maths and psychology. You would be amazed both at the simple math errors that most people make and just how much they give away in terms of body language and betting patterns. One of the best things about the game though is that bad players get lucky sometimes. If you were a professional tennis player and I was an occasional player, you would beat me every time and it would be obvious that you were better and obvious why you were better. If you are a professional poker player and I am an occasional player, you will beat me most of the time and it won't be obvious why that is happening. It will seem like luck. Not only that, but I will win occasionally and that will keep me playing :)

Steve

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 04:52:14 AM »
Which is proven to help the pros earn more.  :D

New people tend to overestimate wins. Reason I'm not Playing X-D

Offline Oscuro1987

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • O
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 07:57:38 AM »
There is a lot more skill to poker than most people appreciate, especially in terms of maths and psychology. You would be amazed both at the simple math errors that most people make and just how much they give away in terms of body language and betting patterns. One of the best things about the game though is that bad players get lucky sometimes. If you were a professional tennis player and I was an occasional player, you would beat me every time and it would be obvious that you were better and obvious why you were better. If you are a professional poker player and I am an occasional player, you will beat me most of the time and it won't be obvious why that is happening. It will seem like luck. Not only that, but I will win occasionally and that will keep me playing :)

Steve

Yes so true, and i'm sure i'm one of those people that don't know how to do maths. I mean poker maths lol.
I didn't play enough live games to appreciate and make myself a strategy. But i'll give it another shot, cuz omg, i still like it lol.
When you speak about "maths" you mean odds ? or is it even more vast that i thought ? XD
And about body language, lmao, it's amazing indeed how much people give away on their situation lol !

Oscuro.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 04:35:01 AM »
When you speak about "maths" you mean odds ?

That's how British people spell "Mathematics" :-)

John

Offline Shinanygnz

• Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 11:28:53 AM »

Steve

Good luck.
Hope you don't get "volcano-ed" like I did coming back from holiday.  Two weeks in Borneo turned in to two weeks in Borneo plus one week in Kuala Lumpur staring at the TV, phoning the airline and generally being very glum, bored and frustrated.  Supposed to fly back on morning of 16th, eventually got a flight on 22nd to Frankfurt and paid for one on 23rd to London.  I think I had a fun holiday, but it seems like months ago and I need another one already to recover from the delay stress.
At least you'd be able to go win some money to cover it   :)
Stephen

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
Quote from: "Shinanygnz"
Good luck.
Hope you don't get "volcano-ed" like I did coming back from holiday.  Two weeks in Borneo turned in to two weeks in Borneo plus one week in Kuala Lumpur staring at the TV, phoning the airline and generally being very glum, bored and frustrated.  Supposed to fly back on morning of 16th, eventually got a flight on 22nd to Frankfurt and paid for one on 23rd to London.  I think I had a fun holiday, but it seems like months ago and I need another one already to recover from the delay stress.
At least you'd be able to go win some money to cover it   :)
Stephen

Yeah, it's no fun.

I think I've mentioned in the past that I had a flight scheduled for 10am September 11, 2001.  

My one week vacation turned out to be about a month long.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 02:31:03 AM »
When you speak about "maths" you mean odds ? or is it even more vast that i thought ? XD
Yes, odds. A simple example would be facing an all-in bet on the turn while holding a flush draw. Assume there was $100 in the pot after the flop and the bet you are facing is $50 and you were sure you would win if you hit your flush. You can see six cards, including the two in your hands and the four on the board, which means there are forty-six unseen cards. Nine of them will give you a flush as there are thirteen cards of the correct suit in the deck, of which two are on the board, two are in your hand and the other nine are somewhere else. So nine good cards and thirty-seven bad cards gives you odds of 37-9 or approximately 4-1 against hitting the flush. As the pot is laying you odds of only 3-1 ($50 to win $150), you can't call. To illustrate further, if you ran the hand 100 times, you would win $150 20 times (slightly less really because the odds are actually 37-9) and lose $50 80 times. $3000 (win) - $4000 (lose) is a net loss of $1000 over 100 hands or $10 per hand. In other words, in terms of expected value every time you call this bet you are losing $10, whatever actually happens. If the bet you were facing was $25 then your pot odds are 5-1 and you can call.

If there is still money behind then it is a little more complex. Assume you are still facing the bet of $50 but your opponent has $100 left. Now there is $150 in the pot and a potential $100 to be gained on the river if you hit. Against a decent player who will figure out you are chasing the flush, you can't include that money in the calculation because he won't pay you off. Against a weaker player that you put on a reasonable hand, you might decide he will pay you off that $100 if you hit. If you add that $100 to the $150 in the pot, then you stand to win $250 and it costs you $50 to call, so you are getting implied odds of 5-1. Of course, it's difficult to assume 100% he will pay you off so you might reduce those odds a little. If you thought there was a 75% chance of him paying you off, you could add $100 x 75% to the odds calculation, which means a potential win of $225 for your $50, which is 4.25-1 and worth a call. Another thing you might consider is the player's tendency to tilt. If you know he understands odds and you know he hates it when people make bad calls and win and you know he has more money in his pocket, you might make a slightly bad call because you know you might get some or all of the money in his pocket if you hit and he tilts. if you don't have the nut flush draw, you also have to consider that he may be betting a flush draw and hitting might be a really bad outcome so you need to build that into the calculation as well.

It obviously gets a lot more complex with deeper stacks and bets on the flop but in a deep stack game you can call with much worse odds on the flop because of the potential payoffs if you have an unexpected hand.

Steve

Offline Oscuro1987

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • O
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 09:07:30 AM »
God that's surely why i always earned a bit then just fell down a bit more xD
well i stopped before losing my initial bankroll i even won a bit more (from $50 as initial BR, i made up to $125, but at one moment i was at 500+, but i suddenly lost a lot down to 125 so i decided to quit before i lost everything >_> lol)

Not everyone is "poker-minded" xD eheehe