Author Topic: Official Suggestion Thread for 5.20 or later  (Read 143958 times)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: Official Suggestion Thread for 5.20 or later
« Reply #510 on: July 12, 2011, 02:14:10 AM »
Cancel the orders (including default & conditional orders) for your out-of-fuel ships and it stops being an interrupt.

Offline forgottenlord

• Petty Officer
  • f
« Reply #511 on: July 12, 2011, 11:48:41 AM »
Quote from: Father Tim link=topic=2828. msg36903#msg36903 date=1310454850
Cancel the orders (including default & conditional orders) for your out-of-fuel ships and it stops being an interrupt.

Yeah, but then I have to reset up all of the conditional orders

Offline Jacob/Lee

• Lt. Commander
  • (Where I got this .gif beats me!)
« Reply #512 on: July 12, 2011, 07:14:39 PM »
Unseen NPR combat not stopping time advancement would be nice if it is possible.

So... Many... Time stops... *shudder*

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #513 on: July 13, 2011, 07:53:22 AM »
Guaranteed to be not possible Calculation-time wise;
Though it would be nice if it just continued if no player race was affected.
So seconded.

Offline Dutchling

• Lt. Commander
  • Baby Snatcher!
« Reply #514 on: July 13, 2011, 08:21:59 AM »
Wholeheartedly thirded  ;)

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #515 on: July 13, 2011, 09:15:17 AM »
Unseen NPR combat not stopping time advancement would be nice if it is possible.

So... Many... Time stops... *shudder*

If it was possible for Steve to abstract the combat then I am sure he would have done so already.

While I too would love less interrupts, the reason the game is so great is because it does not abstract these kind of things like 99% of all other games do.

What Steve could maybe do is take the PPV of all ships involved in the conflict and use that as a weight on a combat roll. Although PPV probably isn't enough, would also need to take into account the shields, armor and speed of the ships and then the detection range of sensors and the fire range of the weapons.

If I get to a point were the NPCs are obviously doing something then I just switch auto-increments on and go read a book whilst making a cup of tea.

Personal preference of course!

Offline forgottenlord

• Petty Officer
  • f
« Reply #516 on: July 13, 2011, 11:29:27 AM »
So this is almost certainly partly because of my bad design for my geology vessels, but having gotten one stuck some 26Gm out or 231 days out (when it finally ran out of fuel) on a 416 day tank, having a detection for fuel required to get to next destination + fuel required to get from destination to nearest tanker/colony and generating a (non-interrupt) warning based on that would probably help prevent such frustrating incidents.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #517 on: July 13, 2011, 12:35:01 PM »
So this is almost certainly partly because of my bad design for my geology vessels, but having gotten one stuck some 26Gm out or 231 days out (when it finally ran out of fuel) on a 416 day tank, having a detection for fuel required to get to next destination + fuel required to get from destination to nearest tanker/colony and generating a (non-interrupt) warning based on that would probably help prevent such frustrating incidents.

Conditional orders for refueling from tankers should be used with strategicly placed tankers solve this issue nicely.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #518 on: July 13, 2011, 01:00:45 PM »
Conditional orders for refueling from tankers should be used with strategicly placed tankers solve this issue nicely.

Experience will teach you to build FARPs. I usually build them in systems 3 jumps from home along the chains. Further FARPs are built 3 jumps from the previous ring, etc.

And a FARP can be anything that supplies. A couple of fuel harvesters marked as tankers make a good fuel resupply point.

Offline forgottenlord

• Petty Officer
  • f
« Reply #519 on: July 13, 2011, 02:33:29 PM »
Quote from: Charlie Beeler link=topic=2828. msg36959#msg36959 date=1310578501

Conditional Order of 30% fuel and head back to refuel set.   I've now had 5 different geology vessels - all with that condition set - run out of fuel way out of range - and as I indicated, this particular ship decided to get caught outside it's actual effective range.   I actually suspect there's a bug as the number of ships that were throwing off warning of low fuel (<10%) while seeming far too close to the object they just scanned for them to have been able to have that problem is driving me nuts (I think it may have something to do with a set refuel order somewhere further along killing the condition since there's already a refuel order set.   Why is a refuel order set, you might ask?  Because the geology vessels are telling me they can only find 3 objects instead of 5).   And so we come back to my point of a warning being very useful.

As I was writing this, a different approach came to me: next to each of the listed orders, show, in brackets, how much fuel would remain after the order was completed.   I had a group of cargo ships running infrastructure between Earth and Mars and forgot completely to set a refuel order in the middle.   I don't want to put a conditional order in because then it'll clear the remaining orders and make it so I have to clear it so having a refueling order is beneficial.   Ignoring the fact that an Earth-Mars route is relatively trivial to stick a refueling order in, if I have a longer journey, having something to indicate "hey, don't forget about fuel" would help in the planning of your overall route.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 02:52:31 PM by forgottenlord »

Offline Dutchling

• Lt. Commander
  • Baby Snatcher!
« Reply #520 on: July 15, 2011, 10:03:17 AM »
The remaiming (estimated?) fuel shown in bracket would be a useful thing imo.
Also, what might have been the problem for your ships: I think conditional orders are only checked when a ship is done with an order (in your case: surveying) so if he gets to 30% fuel after 1km since the last survey, it still has to fly all the way to the next body and survey it for the conditional order to kick in. Which might be too late. I have this a lot lately. A lot of my survey ships give me those interrupt warning for low fuel while they should have refueled a long time ago. The current order of all these ships was just surveying the next point/body.

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #521 on: July 15, 2011, 11:08:16 AM »
I've had numerous fuel issues with my survey vessels, usually because I use FAC-sized ships.

I think what happens is that the movement happens, then the conditional orders are evaluated.  What invariably happens is that a ship is at 31%, it goes through a day's maneuvering or 5 days maneuvering, and now it's down to 20%, time to go back for refueling but now we're too far away to make it.

A conditional order of 50% fuel would be very handy for FACs and fighters - because if you get to the halfway point, it's time to go back!

Offline forgottenlord

• Petty Officer
  • f
« Reply #522 on: July 15, 2011, 11:54:27 AM »
I've had numerous fuel issues with my survey vessels, usually because I use FAC-sized ships.

I think what happens is that the movement happens, then the conditional orders are evaluated.  What invariably happens is that a ship is at 31%, it goes through a day's maneuvering or 5 days maneuvering, and now it's down to 20%, time to go back for refueling but now we're too far away to make it.

A conditional order of 50% fuel would be very handy for FACs and fighters - because if you get to the halfway point, it's time to go back!

Doubt it.  My geology ships use about 7% per 30 days and as I said, there seems to be an issue where they're throwing warnings below 10% where they haven't really begun their trip home.

Good to know I'm not alone in having an issue.

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #523 on: July 16, 2011, 01:03:29 PM »

What version are you on?  I'm on 5.4.2 and it DOES have a  "Fuel less than 50%" condition (its the first one after "No Condition" in the drop down)
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #524 on: July 16, 2011, 06:48:08 PM »
I'm two versions back, so I think I'm on 5.2x.  I didn't advance to 5.4 because I wanted to play a long game.  Seems like whenever I get into a game Steve get's busy on new versions.

Perhaps I should switch to 5.4 and try to play a long game so that we can new versions out of Steve?  ;D