Author Topic: PC: Month 141  (Read 3794 times)

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: PC Month 141
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 06:16:37 PM »
Quote from: "MWadwell"

Sorry about that Kurt - I jumped to the message from the digest that is e-mail out, and I didn't notice that I wasn't logged in under a username.....

No problem, it's just a little disconcerting to be talking to "Guest".  :D

Quote from: "MWadwell"
Quote from: "Kurt"
You are correct, there are some advantages.  The Empire will gain defense in depth as well.  Typically, though, my preferred style of play involves minimal fixed defenses and a large fleet.  While fleet units are more expensive to maintain, they are mobile and can mount an attack, which defenses cannot.  All the defenses in the world aren't going to do anything for you if the enemy is rampaging through systems A to E, if the defenses are in system X.  

Having said that, defenses aren't a total waste.  What that will mean, though, is that the Empire's fleet size will be frozen at its current size for some time, which will tend to reduce its willingness to become involved in external ventures.  A smaller relative fleet may also be perceived as a weakness by others as well.  

Kurt

Agreed. But my point was that the defenses aren't a total waste, as they can be used to support the active fleet - even when the fleet is (quite) a few systems away.....

Oh, I agree, they aren't a "total" waste, but diverting so much of the Empire's productive capacity to defenses that might or might not be useful is going to be a problem.  

Hmmm...I've been pretty haphazard about how I allocate resources every turn, even for the "primary" races like the Empire and the ASR.  The default primary focus is on the fleet, and I tend only to invest in defenses if I happen to notice that they are weak someplace, or if they fit into an overall plan I've developed.  

I once played an ISF campaign, a long time ago, where I had fixed percentages for various resources allocations, based on the race's attitudes and goals.  For instance, the Empire might have the following spending spending percentages (for after-maintenance and research funds):

Fleet: 40%
Fortifications: 25%
Exploration: 10%
Colonization: 25%

Or whatever, with similar percentages imposed on shipyard usages.  Using a scheme like this might impose a little more consistency in spending priorities, and produce results a little more consistent with racial personalities.  

I'll have to think about this.

Kurt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Kurt »

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 06:19:39 PM »
Quote from: "Michael Sandy"
A higher proportion of fortresses means that there will be a greater willingness to use all or most of the mobile forces available.  A lot of stories  have comments about having to leave the home fleet behind.

I really enjoyed the tensions the Chosen had between Fortress Command, the home system fleet, and the three factions.  I imagine that the different services would develop very different attitude unless officers were somehow rotated between them.

Well, but the problem is that those fortresses are sprend out throughout the Empire, meaning they won't be heavy any place.  On the other hand, that is true, having the primary planets fortified might make the Empire more adventurous, at least once they are in place.  

The Chosen situation was kind of unique, with the entire race bottled up in one system, but with access to the resources of dozens of worlds.  AT the height of their power I don't think there was any race that could have successfully attacked them.  Perhaps the eaters, if they mustered their full might.  It would have been a good fight, though.  

Kurt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Kurt »

Offline kdstubbs

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • k
PC Month 141
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 08:51:22 PM »
Kurt,
      Looks like all of Turn 141 and 142 have been truncated.  Could you repost please

Thank you

Kevin
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by kdstubbs »
Kevin Stubbs