Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 266866 times)

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #735 on: October 25, 2014, 08:22:43 AM »
The concordant has retired, citing medical reasons, in the midst of a devastating ground/space war. The admiralty has 4 weeks to confirm his named successor.

Seriously unexpected development.
Or is it a ruse? Still pulling the strings behind closed doors?
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #736 on: October 25, 2014, 08:30:41 AM »
One of the reasons I LOOOOVE Aurora is that you can get knocked on your behind by things like this and it changes the perfectly formed storyline you had in your head. It's like playing with spaceship toys as a 5 year old...but they occasionally play back.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #737 on: November 06, 2014, 11:29:49 AM »
Got friendly enough with the only Empire I found so far to share techs. They gave me two background techs (ones I neglected to get) and I am wondering If I should share tech back. I am at Gas AM drives with a high tech in other places as well. Should I share?
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #738 on: November 07, 2014, 08:08:53 AM »
Sharing tech is a RP element and I believe has no bearing on the game otherwise (except the obvious that they will have that technology). Even if sharing tech boosted your relations I don't think your relations really need a boost if they are giving you tech.

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #739 on: November 09, 2014, 11:03:51 PM »

once again, a science vessel in the depths of a newly discovered system has picked up the radar signature of the semisentient robo-beings that haunt the edges of known space. ETA to getting my face blown off: 2 minutes

...you'd think I'd have learned my lesson now...but nooooooooo

My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #740 on: November 10, 2014, 07:14:03 AM »
I wish I could find something that will try and blow my face off. I've surveyed 40 systems so far and only found one empire who's home planet is two jumps away from mine.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #741 on: November 16, 2014, 10:38:52 PM »
Just found a massive system where the farthest planet orbits at 131t km (131 trillion km, ie 131,000,000,000,000,000 meters [13.85 light years]) totaling at a system diameter of 27.7 light years. Is this a bug?
Edit: I looked up the star type and it is a Yellow Supergiant (M1-Ia)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 07:17:38 AM by 83athom »

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #742 on: November 17, 2014, 09:25:53 AM »
I've had absurdly large systems before generated off of O class stars.  I do not recall the specifics but my survey craft traveled for years and ran out of fuel traveling from the JP to the closest survey point.

Offline Viridia

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #743 on: November 17, 2014, 09:32:25 AM »
Started a new game after not touching Aurora for a while. Set up my faction, set up another human faction for me to play as well, went forward by a five-second increment. Turns out the game spawned another alien race called 'The Halfway Star Empire' on Earth as well, complete with spaceships. Time to begin planetary evacuation methinks.

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #744 on: November 19, 2014, 02:18:18 PM »
When the Geosurvey vessel Hound, on a peaceful mission of first contact with the aliens now known as the Russets, was fired upon and mercilessly destroyed, human engineers quickly prototyped and tested the Blackbear class of destroyers.  With no time to design new engines or weapon systems, they re-used the gas guzzling engines from the Hawk, a fast patrol craft suitable only for home system defense, and they adapted the Arrow missile launchers and anti-missile meson turrets from Earth's two PDCs.  Although cobbled together in a hurry, the Blackbears proved to be very capable in the Ion era, with good speed, adequate range, and deep magazines:

Code: [Select]
Blackbear class Destroyer    8,000 tons     208 Crew     1134.4 BP      TCS 160  TH 432  EM 0
2700 km/s     Armour 4-35     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 2     PPV 36.33
Maint Life 1.85 Years     MSP 177    AFR 256%    IFR 3.6%    1YR 66    5YR 987    Max Repair 54 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 18 months    Spare Berths 1   
Magazine 672   

108 EP Ion Drive (4)    Power 108    Fuel Use 207.23%    Signature 108    Exp 15%
Fuel Capacity 1,000,000 Litres    Range 10.9 billion km   (46 days at full power)

Triple R1.5/C3 Meson Cannon Turret (1x3)    Range 15,000km     TS: 12000 km/s     Power 9-9     RM 1.5    ROF 5        1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Turret Fire Control S02 24-12000 (1)    Max Range: 48,000 km   TS: 12000 km/s     79 58 38 17 0 0 0 0 0 0
Gas-Cooled Fast Reactor 9P (1)     Total Power Output 9    Armour 0    Exp 5%

Size 4 Missile Launcher (75% Reduction) (8)    Missile Size 4    Rate of Fire 80
Missile Fire Control FC38-R160 (1)     Range 38.3m km    Resolution 160
Arrow-I (168)  Speed: 13,500 km/s   End: 121.9m    Range: 98.8m km   WH: 9    Size: 4    TH: 54/32/16

Civilian Sensor MR1-R1 (1)     GPS 21     Range 1.3m km    MCR 137k km    Resolution 1
Ship Sensor MR42-R160 (1)     GPS 6720     Range 42.5m km    Resolution 160

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

The relatively primitive Russets had nothing that could match it.  (Incidentally, they are so named because they were discovered in a star system named for the potato-growing region of Maine -- Aroostook.  All of their colonies are named for potato varieties.)  By the time a one-way jump gate was constructed, Earth had three shipyards (7 slipways total) producing Blackbears, and 11 were then in service.  They destroyed the entire Russet armada and took control of the planet's airspace with the loss of only one ship.  Each of the other ten took dozens of strikes from planetary defenses but somehow held together.

The last flight of the Blackbears occurred in April of 2012.  Humanity had made contact with a new alien race, apparently far advanced in technology, coming from the neighboring Oquossoc system.  Only their survey ships and one jumpgate construction ship had been encountered so far, but the aliens refused to communicate and gave only hostile signals, and we had nicknamed them the Intruders.  On April fool's day, three enormous (30,000 ton) Intruder warships transited into Sol from Oquossoc.  At that time, 19 Blackbears were in service:  5 were stationed at the Oquossoc jump point (just inside Uranian orbit), 8 at earth, and 6 were in the Aroostook system defending the conquered world.

The five destroyers at the JP (the 2nd battle group) began launching their missiles as soon as they detected the transit.  The alien ships moved incredibly fast and had powerful ECM, so they quickly outran the Blackbear group, but not before several volleys of missiles reached them.  The good news was, it was possible for Arrow missiles to hit the alien warships -- their point defenses weren't as superior as their engine and ECM tech.  The bad news was, they shrugged off several strength-9 hits without slowing down or altering course.

The 1st battle group, the eight Blackbears stationed at Earth, moved to intercept the aliens who were on a direct course for Earth at blinding speed.  The fleets met in the asteroid belt, and the Blackbears launched almost all of their combined 1344 missiles.  Several volleys struck the alien leader, and slowed it slightly, but not enough.  The intruders launched missiles at point-blank range which obliterated their targets in one strike.  One by one, all eight Blackbears were destroyed, their missiles in flight losing guidance before they might have destroyed the not-quite-invulnerable aliens.

While the 2nd battle group rushed back to Earth, the intruders began to ravage the inner solar system.  Nuclear strikes of unbelievable magnitude all but wiped out the major cities of Mars.  One intruder warship, apparently out of missiles, headed straight for Mercury and began ramming the fleet of four terraformers stationed there.  Unbelievably, it destroyed all four of them by ramming, as well as two civilian freighters, and continued toward Earth at blistering speed, seemingly indifferent to the ruptures in its own hull.  Finally it closed within 10 million kilometers of Earth, where the two PDCs' fire controls were able to gain a lock, and we managed to destroy it with a hail of Arrow missiles.

The other two alien warships stopped moving near the Martian orbit, and remained there for a few days until the 2nd Battle Group closed within missile range.  The aliens fired their final salvo and destroyed one of the human ships.  Out of ammo and out of fuel (we presume), they remained stationary and silent thereafter.  The brave pilots of the last four operational Blackbears had no alternatives but to close to point-blank range and commence firing with their anti-missile meson turrets.  Apparently helpless, the alien warships were destroyed.

The last four Blackbears rescued as many as they could from the lifepods, and are now in drydock on Earth.  This sturdy class served humanity well, but Blackbear 025, currently under construction, will be the last of the line.  Earth's engineers are now focused on developing ships with the speed to outrun the aliens -- using newly developed Magneto-Plasma engines -- and developing PDCs capable of defending the entire inner Solar system with multi-stage missiles and ultra-long-range fire controls.

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #745 on: November 21, 2014, 08:43:38 AM »
Quote from: Theodidactus
One of the reasons I LOOOOVE Aurora is that you can get knocked on your behind by things like this and it changes the perfectly formed storyline you had in your head. It's like playing with spaceship toys as a 5 year old...but they occasionally play back.

This is me as well.  In my game a scandal just broke, based on multiple things but primarily an expensive ship that doesn't work as designed.  It's thrown many things up in the air, and I'm loving it. 

Quote from: 83athom
Just found a massive system where the farthest planet orbits at 131t km (131 trillion km, ie 131,000,000,000,000,000 meters [13.85 light years]) totaling at a system diameter of 27.7 light years.

Speechless.  I don't even want to think about what kind of ship you'd need to even think about surveying that big a system. 

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #746 on: November 21, 2014, 06:07:58 PM »
Just found a massive system where the farthest planet orbits at 131t km (131 trillion km, ie 131,000,000,000,000,000 meters [13.85 light years]) totaling at a system diameter of 27.7 light years. Is this a bug?
Edit: I looked up the star type and it is a Yellow Supergiant (M1-Ia)
That system is impressive and the largest I have ever heard of, but the stellar class can't be right. M1 would be amongst the smallest type of stars, red dwarfs. Giant stars cannot be yellow, or better, anything other than blue, because bigger star also means higher burn temperature, without exception.

///Edit: Sorry, that was not really right. I thought this was about normal main sequence stars still, but had to learn that there are indeed helium fusing stars so big, that they become yellow giants at some stage. New knowledge, sorry sorry.

Amazing that Aurora is so accurate to include even chances to find such rarities. Still hoping to find an O someday, but was scared when I saw an A already being so big that it couldn't be effectively traveled at antimatter-age.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:38:03 PM by Vandermeer »
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #747 on: November 24, 2014, 06:09:08 PM »
I just jumped through a hostile jump point to confront my longtime rivals in their home system. I deliberately set it up to create a save point AFTER I'd gone through with the jump. No turning back now. Their mission is to neutralize all hostile fleets, move my long-ranged missile cruiser within 1 AU of their largest shipyard, obtain a firing solution, and await further orders.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #748 on: December 03, 2014, 11:47:02 AM »
Just finished designing the ultimate weapon of the galaxy (so far). The Size 100 AST "Eversong";
Code: [Select]
Missile Size: 100 MSP  (5 HS)     Warhead: 625    Armour: 3     Manoeuvre Rating: 12
Speed: 15000 km/s    Engine Endurance: 17 minutes   Range: 15.6m km
Active Sensor Strength: 15   Sensitivity Modifier: 110%
Resolution: 200    Maximum Range vs 10000 ton object (or larger): 23 330 000 km
ECM Level: 1
Cost Per Missile: 203.45
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 180%   3k km/s 60%   5k km/s 36%   10k km/s 18%
Materials Required:    157x Tritanium   9x Boronide   15.5x Uridium   21.95x Gallicite   Fuel x7187.5

Development Cost for Project: 20345RP
Yes you read right, a size 100 torpedo. Designed for both subjugating empires, melting shipyards/space stations, and super-capital destruction (melts through 25 layers of armor).

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #749 on: December 28, 2014, 09:38:56 PM »
After some playing around with the designer, I came up with a new doctrine I would like to try out. I would be really happy if I could get multi-nation NPR to work (I can't quite get it right), if anyone knows how to set it up properly please help.

Ship doctrine; Every ship is able to sustain itself to be able to patrol/scout/attack on its own if it has to. Ships will be very large compaired to normal (10x size) and each hull size will have a "armament". Every ship will have deckguns (dual, mid size gauss cannon, light-medium armor, turret), light or heavy gauss PD (or a mix of both) (light=dual smallest, no armor) (heavy=quad smallest or dual small), CIWS, railguns, spinal laser, size 3-5 missiles, and a main armament of either plasma, particle, or lasers. Ships will also have some marines. Ship ranges will be around 25b km standard with +/- 20%. Standard military ship armor level is between 5-8 (with exceptions) and commercial armor is 3 (no exceptions). Any ships that fall out of their class will have special names (listed below the classes). Stations will be custom made via modules to be special and modular with both civilian and military stations. Civilian stations will feature at least 1 weapons bay about the size of a destroyer (depending on importance). Each colony and military station will have OWPs the size of battlecruisers.

Frigate;
   Hull: 20k tons to 40k tons
   Armament: Deckguns 4-8, Light PD 8-16 or heavy 4-8 or mix, CIWS 1, Railguns 1-3, Spinal 1, Missiles 4-10, Main 1-3
   Troops: 0-1 company
Destroyer;
   Hull: 50k tons to 80k tons
   Armament: Deckguns 6-12, Light PD 12-20 or heavy 8-12 or mix, CIWS 2-3, Railguns 2-5, Spinal 1, Missiles 6-12, Main 2-5
   Troops: 1-2 companies
Cruiser;
   Hull: 100k tons to 250k tons
   Armament: Deckguns 14-22, Light PD 16-24 or heavy 10-16 or mix, CIWS 2-5, Railguns 4-7, Spinal 1, Missiles 10-20, Main 4-6, Hangar 4-8 Fighters 1 Gunship
   Troops: 2-6 companies
Battlecruiser;
   Hull: 300k tons to 500k tons
   Armament: Deckguns 20-30, Light PD 20-30 or heavy 15-20 or mix, CIWS 3-6, Railguns 8-10, Spinal 1, Missiles 15-30, Main 5-10
   Troops: 1-2 battalions
Capital;
   Hull: 500k tons to 1m tons
   Armament: Class specific
      Battleship: Deckguns 24-36, Light PD 24-36 or heavy 16-24 or mix, CIWS 3-8, Railguns 10-14, Spinal 1, Missiles 20-40, Main 10-20, Hangar 12 fighters 3 gunships or 1-2 frigates
      Carrier: Deckguns 5-1, Light PD 20-30 or heavy 10-16 or mix, CIWS 4-8, Railguns 0-4, Spinal 1, Missiles 10-20, Main 0-4, Hangar 16-28 Fighters 5-10 gunships and 1-3 frigates
   Troops: 1-3 battalions
Super-capital;
   Hull: 1.5m tons+
   Armament: *due to the sensitive nature of this data, it has been removed. (dependent on what I want to do)
   Troops: 5 battalions +

Special;
 Light: low end of weight class (armor 4-5)
 Heavy: high end of weight class (armor 8-10)
 Scout: A larger portion of the ship is devoted to sensors and stealth (larger sensors, more sensors, stealth , armament -50%)
 Stealth: The ship is streamlined to look smaller than it is while reducing its signature. (stealth, so shields, less EP)
 Assault: A larger portion of the ship is devoted to all the things that go boom while reducing the ships range and forgoing the troops. (armament +50%-100%, range is extremely short (1-7.5b km, no troops)
 Long Range: The ship is designed for long cruises (+50%-100% range, -20% armament)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 12:32:13 AM by 83athom »

The following users thanked this post: GodEmperor