Author Topic: Release 0.3  (Read 5476 times)

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Release 0.3
« on: November 05, 2012, 10:29:18 PM »
No programmatic changes other than it work when installed outside the Aurora game directory.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 01:18:35 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline vonduus

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is your captain speaking
Re: Release 0.3
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 04:31:37 AM »
Is it expected to be open in the background?

For your information, if the launcher is already running and I accidentally try to start it again, I get a new config window. Clicking ok gets me an error message and a choice: Carry on with two programs, or quit both. In effect, if you choose to run both, they quit with another error message.

Perhaps you could intercept the first error message and instead print something like "There is already one instance of the application running on your computer"?

edit: And when I try to run a game from the launcher, the title bar includes "THIS IS A COPY" and I cannot open my system view from the Empires drop-down on the main menu bar, as the "system maps" option is greyed out. Also greyed out is the Battle Control window, the Galactic Map, the Task Force window and "update sys control" along with several commands in the "SM" and the "Game" dropdowns.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 04:46:01 AM by vonduus »

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 04:57:49 AM »
Is it expected to be open in the background?

For your information, if the launcher is already running and I accidentally try to start it again, I get a new config window. Clicking ok gets me an error message and a choice: Carry on with two programs, or quit both. In effect, if you choose to run both, they quit with another error message.

Perhaps you could intercept the first error message and instead print something like "There is already one instance of the application running on your computer"?

edit: And when I try to run a game from the launcher, the title bar includes "THIS IS A COPY" and I cannot open my system view from the Empires drop-down on the main menu bar, as the "system maps" option is greyed out. Also greyed out is the Battle Control window, the Galactic Map, the Task Force window and "update sys control" along with several commands in the "SM" and the "Game" dropdowns.

It is supposed to be run in the background, yes. As for multiple copies running at once, I'll check it out. I thought I'd stopped that.

The "THIS IS A COPY" is an Aurora thing. I believe if you install into the Aurora game directory, it shouldn't do that. I'll need to hash out why it makes Aurora do that and then see if I can fix it.

Offline vonduus

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 05:13:35 AM »
I actually installed your app directly into my aurora directory, which is placed on my desktop (to avoid win7 restrictions).

And I also created the backup folder by hand, before directing the launcher towards it (there seems to be no way to create a backup folder on the fly during config).

The whole "THIS IS A COPY" thing seems to be running in RAM, as I have no new files in the directory, not even temporary ones (except of course the launcher and the newly created backup folder). This fact (no new files) may of course be caused by the fact that I haven't been able to run a game for the required 360 seconds, due to the greyed-out menu items.

Btw, those 360 seconds, I get it we are talking real time, not game time? Or?

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 05:36:40 AM »
I actually installed your app directly into my aurora directory, which is placed on my desktop (to avoid win7 restrictions).

And I also created the backup folder by hand, before directing the launcher towards it (there seems to be no way to create a backup folder on the fly during config).

The whole "THIS IS A COPY" thing seems to be running in RAM, as I have no new files in the directory, not even temporary ones (except of course the launcher and the newly created backup folder). This fact (no new files) may of course be caused by the fact that I haven't been able to run a game for the required 360 seconds, due to the greyed-out menu items.

Btw, those 360 seconds, I get it we are talking real time, not game time? Or?

The time set in the config is real time. So if you set it for 300 seconds, every five minutes it will make a backup. Also if you click the button to set the backup directory, it should have an option for New Folder at the bottom.

As an example, if you have the game called "Game 1" in the database and that is the game you select, you should have the following
<Aurora install directory>/<designated backup directory>/Game 1/Stevefire_0.mdb
<Aurora install directory>/<designated backup directory>/Game 1/Stevefire_1.mdb
<Aurora install directory>/<designated backup directory>/Game 1/Stevefire_2.mdb
<Aurora install directory>/<designated backup directory>/Game 1/Stevefire_3.mdb

This is assuming 4 backups and after 20 minutes.

Offline vonduus

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 05:58:54 AM »
Oh, I didn't see the "New Folder" button, my bad.

Too bad about the greyed-out stuff, I cannot really test your app when I can't get to my system view :P.

So I hope you will fix it. After you have written your novel, that is.

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 03:40:20 PM »
Oh, I didn't see the "New Folder" button, my bad.

Too bad about the greyed-out stuff, I cannot really test your app when I can't get to my system view :P.

So I hope you will fix it. After you have written your novel, that is.

Try loading it into the Aurora game folder, and see if that un-greys things.

Offline Traveler

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 11:43:54 AM »
I've loaded it into the Aurora folder and I also have multiple grayed out tabs under the Empire selection on the game tool bar.
Also I have a notification; "THIS IS A COPY!" appended to the name of the game at the top of the tool bar when I start the game with the launcher.   Perhaps this has something to do with the grayed out items?

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 12:09:35 PM »
I've loaded it into the Aurora folder and I also have multiple grayed out tabs under the Empire selection on the game tool bar.
Also I have a notification; "THIS IS A COPY!" appended to the name of the game at the top of the tool bar when I start the game with the launcher.   Perhaps this has something to do with the grayed out items?

When  "THIS IS A COPY!" appears, it means that Aurora thinks another copy of the program is already running. The copy version will have a lot of greyed out buttons to prevent two copies updating the DB at the same time.

Steve

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 12:23:09 PM »
When  "THIS IS A COPY!" appears, it means that Aurora thinks another copy of the program is already running. The copy version will have a lot of greyed out buttons to prevent two copies updating the DB at the same time.

Steve

That's what is confusing me.

I'm planning on updating the code to just backup the database and not launch Aurora. That should alleviate this issue.