Author Topic: After the Fall - Background (1)  (Read 8056 times)

Offline Bartimeus

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • B
Re: After the Fall - Background
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 03:22:00 AM »

Let's see....
The British are going to be missile based (I mean, when haven't they been missile based!).
That means that we have FAC's, railguns and Lasers left for the Germans and French. IMHO, I think that the French are going to be railguns+FAC's, and the Germans are going to be lasers.

Comments?

In fact, we can replace British by French in your sentence. I don´t see why the British must be missile based.
For me Germans will be armed with beam/short range weapon and British and French will be missile based(with some difference, of courses)   

Offline Aldaris

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 04:38:29 PM »
What happened to the smaller European countries like Switzerland, the Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, etc?

Awesome setting, didn't expect the spanish inquisition.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 06:02:34 PM »
What happened to the smaller European countries like Switzerland, the Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, etc?

I have glossed over that a little :) They could be independent but not space-faring, or more likely under the influence of one of the smaller powers. I might address that in the course of the AAR.

Awesome setting, didn't expect the spanish inquisition.

Well that's not surprising. No one expects the Spanish Inquisition :)

Steve

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2013, 05:30:42 PM »

Well that's not surprising. No one expects the Spanish Inquisition :)

Steve

But they only have two weapons, no wait three weapons, no, four weapons!

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2013, 05:35:37 PM »
So all factions have more or less the same start, modified by population?
Given that you put that much effort into the background and start (I almost worry it won't last long due to how much continued effort that might be), wouldn't it be interesting to have different industries, wealth, tech, etc, based on the starting nations and their territory?
I mean, aren't the spanish otherwise going to have ammo production lying around?  ;)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 12:42:26 PM »
So all factions have more or less the same start, modified by population?
Given that you put that much effort into the background and start (I almost worry it won't last long due to how much continued effort that might be), wouldn't it be interesting to have different industries, wealth, tech, etc, based on the starting nations and their territory?
I mean, aren't the spanish otherwise going to have ammo production lying around?  ;)

They have the same research labs and starting tech points. Other than that, everything is based on starting population, so the French and Japanese generally have 1.5x the industry and shipyards of the Germans and Commonwealth and 2x that of the Spanish. Starting BPs were also in favour of the larger powers.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 12:45:36 PM »
But they only have two weapons, no wait three weapons, no, four weapons!

Matt

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and meson cannon...meson cannon and surprise.... Our two weapons are meson cannon and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are meson cannon, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as meson cannon, surprise.... I'll come in again.

Steve

Offline Icecoon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 01:50:01 PM »
Wow!  :o
Very interresting campaign. I will root for the 3rd French Reich.  :D
I guess they will use FACs armed with missiles and their ships will be specialized for different tasks an thus will be smaller unlike the commonwealth designs.

Good luck with the new campaign!  :)

Edit: So no FACs. :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 01:58:29 PM by Icecoon »
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

If fire fighters fight fire and crime fighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
Lichtenstein got FACs ;)

Hmm i could see spain considering facs if the buildcosts are low enough. I wonder if some power would install a missile PDC on the Moon. To get a MAD doctrine running. Japan with its fighterdoctrine could use one of those to train its sqadrons.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline Rolepgeek

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • R
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 07:47:14 PM »
I have a question, Steve.  How do you run these? Do you just put in orders then switch empires? I'm also a bit confused on how empires with colonies on the same planet would work.  But that's just me.

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 02:52:02 PM »
Well this is definitely a change from the "cold war 2, someone gets upper hand and everyone gets annexed" that seems to be so popular

prety gud :DDDDDDDD

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 11:06:30 AM »
"I have a question, Steve.  How do you run these? Do you just put in orders then switch empires? I'm also a bit confused on how empires with colonies on the same planet would work.  But that's just me. " - Thats how it works, you just have to switch empires in the drop down tab. of course setting them up is a little more involving. And whenever I've tried to do this I always end up subconciously favoring 1 empire with focus time over the others, so that is another thing to watch out for.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2013, 08:36:16 PM »
Despite being American, I'm rooting for Germany, with the Commonwealth and Japan in a tie for second.  Excellent and original backstory, and it looks like it will be very fun to read.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2013, 05:05:15 AM »
They have the same research labs and starting tech points. Other than that, everything is based on starting population, so the French and Japanese generally have 1.5x the industry and shipyards of the Germans and Commonwealth and 2x that of the Spanish. Starting BPs were also in favour of the larger powers.

Steve
Sure enough.
I just meant, if, say, the spanish, have the same pop based start as the other factions, just maybe a bit less, that means they'll start with ammo factories that they really would have never built in the quantity, with absolutely no missile launchers to go around.

Offline deoved

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
Re: After the Fall - Background (1)
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 07:32:15 PM »
Obvious, anglo-saxon is so obvious..