Author Topic: Negotiating with NPRs  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Edsel (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
Negotiating with NPRs
« on: July 16, 2007, 01:02:31 PM »
Numerous NPRs will ingnore initial political offers, "but may reconsider and accept next turn." Many of these NPRs also have TAF of -5 or more. If a player race makes an offer to such a race, who then reconsiders and accepts on the next turn, what happens if a subsequent offer is made on that turn?

Does the new offer get made before the initial offer is accepted?
Is the initial offer accepted before the subsequent offer is received?
If the NPR decides to accept the initial offer but then the subsequent offer with the TAF causes a negative result will they scrap the initial acceptance?
What I really need to know is the timing of these things.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Edsel »

Offline Edsel (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 09:26:59 PM »
After reading the relevant rules closely I think I have figured out how it will work:

On turn 1 the Alphans makes an offer, the Deltans say no but in reality they are actually still contemplating the offer.

On turn 2 the Alphans makes another offer. The Deltans roll for acceptance of the offer made to them on turn 1 using normal modifiers but the TAF is also applied. If they accept the offer from turn 1 then the turn 2 offer is ignored since it would violate the 6 months interval between offers.
If the Deltans accept the offer the Alphans will not know if this is an acceptance of their turn 1 offer or this turn's offer (unless the offers were for different conditions).

If the Deltans turned down the turn 1 offer the Alphans would believe that they must be turning down their turn two offer since they don't know about the idiosyncrasies of the Deltan government.

If the Alphans made yet a third offer on turn 3 then the Deltans would roll for the the turn two offer on turn 3 but with double the TAF penalty.

Does this sound about right?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Edsel »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 05:07:38 AM »
I'm not sure of the exact rule to which you are referring, but I know some NPRs say "no" when they mean "We have not yet received a reply from our homeworld."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Father Tim »