Author Topic: Some of steve's oldest fiction posts are cut off.  (Read 2631 times)

Offline MarcAFK (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Some of steve's oldest fiction posts are cut off.
« on: June 20, 2015, 01:50:16 AM »
The current lapse in new fiction has led me to trawl through the earliest posts in the forum, Sadly most of Steves posts from the Nemesis and Cataclysm Campaigns are incomplete, sometimes consisting of a single line of text which cuts out, Is there any remote chance that there might be backups from 2006 buried somewhere?
Perhaps there's a chance Seve might have notes of those games somewhere but I'm sure it's a longshot.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds the earliest posts in the forum intriguing, seeing how the game has developed and how new features have been dealt with in fiction, for instance I was surprised to see how changes from the expected Newtonian aurora ended up in versions 5 or 6, particularly engine and fuel changes, I read through those posts years before registering to the forum but had forgotten all about it.
I've also noticed a few of the earliest posts show the subforum name but not the actual thread's name, when you go through Steve's post history, but the quote button still displays the actual location of the thread. Not an issue really.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Some of steve's oldest fiction posts are cut off.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 02:41:58 AM »
The forum was originally using phpBB. There was some issue with that (I don't recall what) which caused me to move to SMF 1.x. The phpBB truncated posts using the apostrophe. During backup/restores.

Offline MarcAFK (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Some of steve's oldest fiction posts are cut off.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 07:36:27 AM »
Damn those apostrophes!
Well, I'm glad the Rigellian campaign at least is available as a complete document, I'll enjoy reading that when I'm through the Trans-Newtonian one..
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "