Author Topic: Mines that go boom and missile buoys  (Read 6969 times)

Offline plasticpanzers (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • p
Mines that go boom and missile buoys
« on: December 30, 2015, 07:47:01 PM »
Has anyone modded the abilty to make mines for mining jump points and can you construct working missile buoys
that can be set on jump points to fire automatically on hostile ships coming thru?
whoops, sorry in wrong place...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 07:50:45 PM by plasticpanzers »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Mines that go boom and missile buoys
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 09:15:33 AM »
Yes, yes you can.

You will need to layer the defenses because the first ship through will trigger the entire minefield.

Offline plasticpanzers (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • p
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 05:57:30 PM »
great! can anybody point me in the direction of how to do so for either?  thanks!

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 07:01:46 PM »
Mines are designed like missiles. You'll want sensors so they can actually see what they are attempting to blow up. Add missiles or beam weapons. Add a reactor for a beam setup. Build a mine layer. Deploy. Then move out 5-10m km and deploy another shell. Repeat as needed.

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 09:59:27 PM »
Once oyu have a ship it can be a little annoying deploying a field (due to the the way it works)
My advice, if you are doing a mine launcher. Use a reduced size launcher, and trawl your ship in a direction (perhaps towards another jump point, or in an orbit around the current jump point). If done right and the reload rate is slow enough, you'll end up spreading out the field well enough that you don't have to worry so much about the whole thing going at once.

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 01:47:38 PM »
A mine is just a multi-stage missile with on-board guidance that is launched without a target. The mine will then quietly wait while for a target to enter sensor range at which point the 2nd stage missiles activate and home in on the Mine target's location.

Basic design:
1) Design your 2nd stage. (Short range, high-accuracy, small sensor for terminal guidance and re-targeting)
2) Design an engine-less multi-stage missile as your mine. (Large target acquisition sensor, multiple 2nd stage payload missiles, proper separation range)

Your mine doesn't have to be engine-less, but the mine will immediately burn all available on-board fuel so unless you plan on dual-use with self-guided offensive launches you might as well skip the engine and fuel to save space.

Technically you don't have to use a layered defense. If the mines were laid as multiple salvos then the 2nd stage missiles can re-target with onboard sensors. The problem with not using a layered defense is that a lost NPR gravsurvey craft wandering through first will triggers everything without any supplemental targets in sight. That might not be a problem if your mines are only an early-warning/survey-extermination system, could be a big problem if are trying to stop an anticipated invasion fleet.

As an example here is the last mine I designed (Magneto-Plasma drive era)
Code: [Select]
S2 Door Prize
Missile Size: 2 MSP  (0.1 HS)     Warhead: 4    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 12
Speed: 26600 km/s    Engine Endurance: 2 minutes   Range: 2.8m km
Active Sensor Strength: 0.0768   Sensitivity Modifier: 110%
Resolution: 55    Maximum Range vs 2750 ton object (or larger): 60 000 km
Cost Per Missile: 1.8479
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 319.2%   3k km/s 96%   5k km/s 63.8%   10k km/s 31.9%
Materials Required:    1x Tritanium   0.0459x Boronide   0.0768x Uridium   0.6713x Gallicite   Fuel x22.5

Development Cost for Project: 185RP

S7 Static Mine
Missile Size: 7 MSP  (0.35 HS)     Warhead: 0    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 0 km/s    Engine Endurance: 0 minutes   Range: 0.0m km
Active Sensor Strength: 0.5216   Sensitivity Modifier: 110%
Resolution: 20    Maximum Range vs 1000 ton object (or larger): 250 000 km
Cost Per Missile: 6.3785
Second Stage: S2 Door Prize x3
Second Stage Separation Range: 250 000 km
Overall Endurance: 2 minutes   Overall Range: 2.9m km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 0%   3k km/s 0%   5k km/s 0%   10k km/s 0%
Materials Required:    3x Tritanium   0.4509x Boronide   0.752x Uridium   2.0139x Gallicite   Fuel x66

Development Cost for Project: 638RP

My usual mine deployment procedure is to use the 'move to' order followed by multiple 'launch missiles at' orders with only mines assigned to launch tubes.

Offline TT

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 05:46:33 PM »
Thank you Sublight, I have had trouble figuring mines out too and your explanation helped me out.

Offline Darkminion

• Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 04:25:42 PM »
I am having trouble deploying mines. If i launch them with the Combat overview they will immediately deploy the secondary payload at nothing. I have tried deleting the way point both before and after launch as suggested but they still do this. I have also tried using the "Launch missiles at" order but they do not deploy. If i try and use the missile launch button I get a popup about recent transits. I have gotten it to work by jumping the minelayer across the JP and back again resetting the jump shock flag(?) but the error returns on the next salvo. What am I doing wrong?

Missile Size: 12     Warhead: 0    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 0 km/s    Engine Endurance: 0 minutes   Range: 0.0m km
Active Sensor Strength: 0.808   Sensitivity Modifier: 80%
Resolution: 50    Maximum Range vs 2500 ton object (or larger): 450 000 km
Thermal Sensor Strength: 0.4584    Detect Sig Strength 1000:  458 400 km
Cost Per Missile: 10.8232
Second Stage: SMM-1 "Barracuda" x3
Second Stage Separation Range: 150 000 km
Overall Endurance: 2 minutes   Overall Range: 1.9m km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 0%   3k km/s 0%   5k km/s 0%   10k km/s 0%
Materials Required:    6.75x Tritanium   0.7596x Boronide   1.2664x Uridium   2.0472x Gallicite   Fuel x75

Development Cost for Project: 1082RP

Vanguard class Minelayer    14 650 tons     515 Crew     2489.5 BP      TCS 293  TH 276  EM 0
1255 km/s     Armour 7-53     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 28     PPV 120
Maint Life 7 Years     MSP 1912    AFR 95%    IFR 1.3%    1YR 68    5YR 1024    Max Repair 120 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 48 months    Spare Berths 0   
Magazine 552   

General Electric MPD-184M (2)    Power 184    Fuel Use 102.11%    Signature 138    Exp 11%
Fuel Capacity 500 000 Litres    Range 6.0 billion km   (55 days at full power)

Oliver Weapon Systems S12 Launcher (10)    Missile Size 12    Rate of Fire 75
Raytheon AMFC23-Z1 (1)     Range 23.0m km    Resolution 1
CM-1 "Doberman" (46)  Speed: 0 km/s   End: 0m    Range: 0.1m km   WH: 0    Size: 12    TH: 0/0/0

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Offline RikerPicard

• Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 05:24:13 PM »
Once oyu have a ship it can be a little annoying deploying a field (due to the the way it works)
My advice, if you are doing a mine launcher. Use a reduced size launcher, and trawl your ship in a direction (perhaps towards another jump point, or in an orbit around the current jump point). If done right and the reload rate is slow enough, you'll end up spreading out the field well enough that you don't have to worry so much about the whole thing going at once.

How would this look in the command window? Just transit to point, and set missiles to auto fire from another window?

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 02:15:33 AM »
You have to set up waypoints around the warp point, last few minefields I made I had up to 12+ waypoints set up.  Then you load the mines into the missile launchers and give the ship(s) the orders:

Move to WPx
Launch Missiles at WPx
Move to WPy
(delay by your launch recycle time) Launch Missiles at WPy
Move to WPz
(delay by your launch recyle time) Launch Missiles at WPz

I had 4 ships involved in the operation and while it took a bit of time to set up each ships orders and the way points the field was deployed "automatically" without any further intervention when I advanced the turn by 30 min.

If you have two sets of missile launchers unload the unused one, I wasted some counter missiles while learning this.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 03:45:01 PM »
Has anybody had success with mines in deep space encounters?  If you have a slower fleet that is running away from a faster one, it seems to be an exploit of the AI, but won't they generally head straight in on a predictable path?

Can missiles launched by mines home in directed by a missile that has a dedicated sensor head?  Might require a 3-stage process, a missile to get the mines in position, the mine itself that has the submunitions, and some of the bases have larger sensors to get the missiles close to their target while the submunition wave includes some missiles with sensor heads.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 06:34:04 PM »
Has anybody had success with mines in deep space encounters?  If you have a slower fleet that is running away from a faster one, it seems to be an exploit of the AI, but won't they generally head straight in on a predictable path?
Yes. In one of my games just before a DB update, the only kills were from my scout-frigates and minelayers dropping mines in front of a big battlegroup that were chasing them.
Can missiles launched by mines home in directed by a missile that has a dedicated sensor head?  Might require a 3-stage process, a missile to get the mines in position, the mine itself that has the submunitions, and some of the bases have larger sensors to get the missiles close to their target while the submunition wave includes some missiles with sensor heads.
Possibly. If you create a missile that drops a mine 1m km from the target and the sub-munitions don't fire until 600k km, then it may work. Although it is equally as likely that the mine will not retarget when enemies come into range and make it a failure.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Marc420

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 06:21:36 PM »
I am having trouble deploying mines. If i launch them with the Combat overview they will immediately deploy the secondary payload at nothing. I have tried deleting the way point both before and after launch as suggested but they still do this. I have also tried using the "Launch missiles at" order but they do not deploy. If i try and use the missile launch button I get a popup about recent transits. I have gotten it to work by jumping the minelayer across the JP and back again resetting the jump shock flag(?) but the error returns on the next salvo. What am I doing wrong?

I'm curious about this, as I think I've seen the same thing.
If I drop one of my bouys, either on a JP or on a WP, and then advance 5 sec at a time, I see the secondary payload appear to launch.  Those short range missiles last a few 5 sec impulses then die off.  However, the mine does remain and stay deployed.  I may be mistaken, but I think that if the payload had actually fired, then the mine itself would disappear, right?  So, while I see the payload appear to fire off, it then proceeds as if this has not happened.  Haven't played for enough for any enemies to stumble along and see what happens next.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 09:50:12 PM »
Post your mine design here.
If your first stage has no engine and fuel then it's considered a buoy, it will be dropped exactly where the launching ship is and will wait around with it's sensors on looking around, if it detects something it will launch the second stage at it. That second stage should have a sensor on it too but I don't think that's actually required, but I could be wrong, the first stage might vanish the second it launches it's payload. (which makes no sense as it should stick around long enough to light it's target to destruction).
If your first stage has engines and fuel then it's not a bouy, it will travel to a waypoint it's aimed at, or any other target, when it reaches that target or runs out of fuel it will fire it's secondary. Which means if your secondary payload is the warhead it'll be wasted.
If you want to long range launch mines you'll need 3 stages, a Payload missile to hit the target, a secondary bouy with sensors to look for targets, and a tertiary stage which carrys the bouy to the waypoint.
That stage will probably be quite large unless you make the mines very small, In my opinion since mines don't require fuel or an engine, and you can lay carefully with large slow reloading launchers then it makes sense to make them quite large, potentially able to mission kill a ship with a single hit. Or at least carry enough standard missiles to cause a decent alpha strike.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 03:33:40 PM »
I think the most efficient way to lay mines is to use fighters or LACs with box launchers.

You can either use 3-stage mines, or deploy them as buoys.  And you can make fairly big mines that you can nonetheless deploy relatively rapidly.

I am a bit torn about the best size for mines.  The larger the mine, the better sensors you can have, the longer the range it can engage at.  But the larger it is, the more easily it can be detected in turn, and potentially taken out before it can launch.

So what range do mines need?  Their most notable use is as warp point interdiction.  So they need enough range to cover against the enemy jump engine range, and possibly a TL up from that.

But if you are using fighters to deploy or 3-stage mines, you can deploy them in unexpected places, in the path of an expected enemy movement.  And for that you need a much larger range.

I could see mines being used as a forward defense of a warp point, where they are used to thicken the medium ranged firepower of the defense, before beam range.  The theory being that the defense will use point defense against long ranged bombardment, will duck out through the warp point if there is a truly large missile wave, trusting to fighters staying behind on the warp point to whittle through the loitering missiles, while the mines make it hazardous for the attackers to move in while the defending fleet is on the other side of the warp point.

Actually, if defenders continually cycle part of their fleet through the warp point, they are likely to cause long range missile bombardments to lose lock outside of the range of their onboard sensors. They still go to their target's last location, but if that was offset from the warp point, the myopic sensors on the missiles might not be able to reacquire.