Author Topic: Share your little design tricks!  (Read 7298 times)

Iranon

Share your little design tricks!
« on: January 25, 2016, 06:01:15 AM »
I thought it'd be neat to pool in on some little things that other players may have missed. I'll start off:

Subdivison. It's possible to make ships more resistant to damage by more extensive subdivison than the norm, as seen in many German designs during the world wars.
You can do this in Aurora by using smaller components that still have the same HTK, e.g. small engineering spaces or tiny fuel tanks. It's expensive compared to simply adding more armour, but doesn't add weight and helps against hits that would bypass armour, like shock damage or meson weapons.
I find this useful for very stressed designs that devote a high percentage to propulsion, with little room for mission tonnage or armour. Cool detail: Most relevant for fuel spaces as per the historical counterparts; WW1 arrangements incorporated coal bunkers into the protection scheme, WW2 designs used oil tanks as part of their torpedo protection system.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Share your little design tricks!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 08:34:09 AM »
Engineering;
A good number of engineering spaces to be mission effective for military ships is 1 per 1,000-1,500 tons of ship. If you plan on a 15,000 ton ship, plan 10-15 engineering spaces in. Plan on a 100,000 ton ship, plan 67-100 into the design. Despite making it seem there is an overabundance of maintenance life, it lets them have enough maintenance and damage control to perform field repairs of major systems in an enemy system without the need of a support ship (given that engineering will be damaged/destroyed in a fight as well).
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 09:11:51 AM »
It can often be a good idea to make a size 1 engine (or size 0.1 for missiles), to help you sketch up a concept design with the right size engines for what speed you want. They are very cheap to research and Aurora got good tools for adding many of them if you need, so it prevents you from researching bigger engines only to find out they were too big/small to fit into your design.

Offline JOKER

• Chief Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 02:52:41 PM »
As I prefer large scale battle, I prefer the biggest engine I could build, 1 for 10kt each. The range and fuel efficient reason is much important for me. Lost one ship? I have five in production.

As showed in my last post, my ship rely on AMM as basic defence. They are easily blown up as I've seen size 100 explosion when engine is on fire, but NPR rarely get there.

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 07:22:03 PM »
It is actually viable to tool a shipyard to produce both commercial geosurvey ships and military gravity survey ships, with a bit of trickery. This seems nearly impossible or quite inconvenient normally due to how calculating differences for necessary retool though: that being you need a percentage of "differences" to be lower than a certain amount per the cost of the vessel, "differences" being new components and hull changes.
So here's the secret strategy to make it so you can in fact build these two from one shipyard: You build a 'dummy' vessel like so:
Code: [Select]
Interim - Frame Blueprint: 315 Series class Science Vessel    4 900 tons     67 Crew     464.8 BP      TCS 98  TH 180  EM 0
1836 km/s     Armour 3-25     Shields 0-0     Sensors 6/6/1/1     Damage Control Rating 2     PPV 0
Maint Life 2.09 Years     MSP 119    AFR 96%    IFR 1.3%    1YR 37    5YR 548    Max Repair 100 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 16 months    Spare Berths 0   
Cryogenic Berths 1000   

180 EP-C Directional Ion-Pit Drive (1)    Power 180    Fuel Use 1.97%    Signature 180    Exp 3%
Fuel Capacity 50 000 Litres    Range 93.2 billion km   (587 days at full power)

CIWS-120 (1x4)    Range 1000 km     TS: 12000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Active Search Sensor MR11-R81 (1)     GPS 1701     Range 11.3m km    Resolution 81
Thermal Sensor TH1-6 (1)     Sensitivity 6     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  6m km
EM Detection Sensor EM1-6 (1)     Sensitivity 6     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  6m km
Gravitational Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour
Geological Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
It has all of the components that either the geosurvey or gravity survey vessel would have. This is what you tool your shipyard to, but not to build any of these. I included cryogenic berths for reasons you'll see in a second.
Once this design is made, copy it thrice, and design the following via subtraction, that is to say, only remove parts, don't add any (significant amount of) parts.
Interim - Geo: 315 Series class Geosurvey Ship    4 250 tons     50 Crew     320.2 BP      TCS 85  TH 180  EM 0
2117 km/s     Armour 3-23     Shields 0-0     Sensors 6/6/0/1     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 47    Max Repair 100 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 16 months    Spare Berths 1   

180 EP-C Directional Ion-Pit Drive (1)    Power 180    Fuel Use 1.97%    Signature 180    Exp 3%
Fuel Capacity 50 000 Litres    Range 107.5 billion km   (587 days at full power)

CIWS-120 (1x4)    Range 1000 km     TS: 12000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Active Search Sensor MR11-R81 (1)     GPS 1701     Range 11.3m km    Resolution 81
EM Detection Sensor EM1-6 (1)     Sensitivity 6     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  6m km
Geological Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
Interim - Gravity: 315 Series class Gravitational Survey Vessel    4 300 tons     55 Crew     332.8 BP      TCS 86  TH 180  EM 0
2093 km/s     Armour 3-23     Shields 0-0     Sensors 6/6/1/0     Damage Control Rating 2     PPV 0
Maint Life 2.5 Years     MSP 97    AFR 73%    IFR 1%    1YR 22    5YR 324    Max Repair 100 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 16 months    Spare Berths 0   

Fuel Capacity 50 000 Litres    Range 106.2 billion km   (587 days at full power)

Gravitational Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
Interim - Transport: 315 Series class Science Vessel    4 150 tons     42 Crew     226 BP      TCS 83  TH 180  EM 0
2168 km/s     Armour 3-23     Shields 0-0     Sensors 6/6/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 34    Max Repair 34 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Spare Berths 3   
Cryogenic Berths 1000   

Fuel Capacity 50 000 Litres    Range 110.1 billion km   (587 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
If it was all done correctly, you will be able to retool a single naval shipyard with the frame blueprint design, and be able to build any of the three derivatives, like so:

Very useful, in my opinion, particularly when just starting out, and you have decided against giving yourself survey vessels using Fast OOB (or said survey vessels get blown up).
You can probably get away with pulling this off with some other designs and whatnot, but this is the most dramatic and reliable instance I've noticed this tactic working.

The following users thanked this post: Havan_IronOak

Iranon

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 08:45:17 AM »
Dissimilar similar ships. If your freighters and colony ships share a common design, only switching out a Cargo Hold for 10x Cryogenic Transport, chances are at least one of the designs is inefficient.
Why? Because cargo holds are very cheap, it's more economical to build more freighters than overengineer them. Cryogenic transport OTOH is reaonably expensive, pairing it with decent speed and cargo handling is more economical than building many barebones colony ships. Making use of this doesn't prevent one from building both ships in the same yard.

Offline Havan_IronOak

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Share your little design tricks! Multi-purpose Yard refits
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 02:29:22 PM »
I tried your suggested Frame Blueprint method and it worked great. (Once I figured out what it all meant)

I'm now able to build
Geosurvey Vessels, Grav Survey Vessels, & a basic small troop transport all from the same shipyard without the downtime and expense of continually refitting the yard. The small troop transport can also be used to drop seed colonists on a colony as well I'm thinking.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Offline doulos05

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 06:10:01 PM »
In a game which is now long corrupted, I had my entire civilian shop line constructed from two shipyards. Miners, fuel harvesters, colony ships, troop transports, freighters, salvage shops, tankers, and a maintenance transport ship that had a bunch of maintenance spaces to carry MSP to forward deployed TGs. It took hours of fiddling, but I got it eventually. The secret I learned is, design from the maintenance ship and the colony ship. They are the big ticket items.

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 09:45:59 AM »
I've been doing the colony/cargo ship thing for ages, but the frame thing is frankly genius.  Thanks.  I'll have to try it out.

One very valuable thing is to make sure that your warships have more than one engine.  This improves their chances of making it home after damage.

For missiles, make sure you optimize your engines.  Missile engines are almost free, so it makes sense to custom-tailor them for the job.
For unitary missile engines the optimum fuel fraction is .2391 and the engine is .7609 with a ratio of 3.182.  All of this assumes that you can vary the engine power modifier infinitely, so they don't translate well to very high-speed missiles (or ships).  However, it should be of some help for building slower, longer-range weapons.
So get as close to that as possible.  It's usually worth 5-10%, which doesn't sound like much until you remember that it's half of the next fuel-efficiency tech.

Also, I've made fairly extensive use of two-stage missiles.  This gives you long range and good speed for evading point defenses.  And you can mix in some decoys to draw off AMMs and beam defenses.  Have them split at the same time as the main warheads, and make them slightly faster.  As small an increment faster as possible, in fact.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

The following users thanked this post: Havan_IronOak

Offline doulos05

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 03:37:28 AM »
For unitary missile engines the optimum fuel fraction is .2391 and the engine is .7609 with a ratio of 3.182.  All of this assumes that you can vary the engine power modifier infinitely, so they don't translate well to very high-speed missiles (or ships).  However, it should be of some help for building slower, longer-range weapons.
So get as close to that as possible.  It's usually worth 5-10%, which doesn't sound like much until you remember that it's half of the next fuel-efficiency tech.
I keep reading this hoping that it will make sense. So perhaps an example will help me make sense of it. Assuming a size 6 engine with 1MSP dedicated to warhead, how big should my engine and my fuel be for your formula?

Also, I've made fairly extensive use of two-stage missiles.  This gives you long range and good speed for evading point defenses.  And you can mix in some decoys to draw off AMMs and beam defenses.  Have them split at the same time as the main warheads, and make them slightly faster.  As small an increment faster as possible, in fact.
What do you put on your decoys? I've never played with multi stage missle designs before, but that sounds interesting.

Iranon

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 05:19:46 AM »
Can't have too many things at once fixed.

If E is engine tonnage, S is size of the missile, A is Agility points per MSP.
Ideal fuel is  0.4E if using maximum-size engines already, 0.3182*E otherwise.
Ideal agility to maximise to hit chance on a given budget for engine and agility is E-10S/A (this requires fine-tuning to avoid losses to rounding, and ignores possible fuel savings by larger engines).

Subbing numbers for a size 6 missile with 1 MSP warhead (which I assume you meant), we put in the numbers of non-warhead space of 5:
 5=2.3182E-60/A
If you have a missile agility tech of 80:
5=2.3182E-0.75, for an engine size of 2.4803, and corresponding fuel of 0.7892 and agility of 1.7304 with 1/10000 of a MSP lost in rounding
We don't care, as agility will need some adjusting to avoid rounding losses.

In practice, this beautiful precision is unnecessary to counterproductive as there may be other considerations:
I never have enough engine multiplier tech to hit the ideal without excessive range (if I do, I messed up research priorities). Also, bigger lower-power engine and less fuel is cheaper.
I usually want more engine and less agility than the theoretical optimum: faster to better evade PD, better range for free if we can increase engine size, and again usually cheaper.

In practice, 40% engines, 30% warhead+sensors, 20% agility, 10% fuel is my guideline for general-purpose missiles. If you're set on a different payload, the 4:2:1 ratio of engine to agility to fuel remains useful.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:55:35 AM by Iranon »

The following users thanked this post: bean

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 09:46:38 AM »
I keep reading this hoping that it will make sense. So perhaps an example will help me make sense of it. Assuming a size 6 engine with 1MSP dedicated to warhead, how big should my engine and my fuel be for your formula?
Basically, you allocate a certain amount of propulsion space on the missile (P) which is equal to engine space (E) + fuel space (F).  For the best speed/range (one is maximized while the other is fixed) E= .7609*P and F= .2391*P.  So if you're allocating P=6, then E=4.57 and F=1.43. 
The one caveat is that this assumes there is no cap on the power multiplier you can use.  You may very well need more engine than these numbers would indicate, particularly for things like AMMs.  The most important rule is that you shouldn't have a missile that doesn't have max-size engines and has more than a third of the engine space in fuel.

What do you put on your decoys? I've never played with multi stage missle designs before, but that sounds interesting.
My basic missiles are all size 1, and I have the tech to make this work. (In fairness, I was as concerned with getting missiles through really heavy defenses as I was with raw damage, which may not have been the absolute optimum.)  The standard missile does about 150,000 km/s, and has a size-4 warhead with a range of 17 mkm, IIRC.  I mount from 1 to 3 of them on a size 4 bus which has a much more efficient and less powerful engine, and then fire them at targets at ranges up to around 1,000 mkm.  The bus doesn't need to go fast as it doesn't have to get through defenses.  Each stage can be optimized for its own job.  The decoys are set up to be very slightly faster than the actual warhead missiles, and are released at the same time.  Each fire control has one tube of decoys and usually about 5 tubes of regular missiles.  The decoys separate at the same time, and double the number of different targets, which helps saturate fire control on the receiving end.  They're also a bit ahead of the regular missiles, so they get shot at first.  As the difference in speed is usually 100 km/s, they normally arrive on the same increment as the attack missiles, and draw off all the beam PD.
The decoys have a slightly different (more powerful) engine than the regular missiles, fuel to have the same range, and everything else is armor.

Can't have too many things at once fixed.

If E is engine tonnage, S is size of the missile, A is Agility points per MSP.
Ideal fuel is  0.4E if using maximum-size engines already, 0.3182*E otherwise.
Ideal agility to maximise to hit chance on a given budget for engine and agility is E-10S/A (this requires fine-tuning to avoid losses to rounding, and ignores possible fuel savings by larger engines).

Subbing numbers for a size 6 missile with 1 MSP warhead (which I assume you meant), we put in the numbers of non-warhead space of 5:
 5=2.3182E-60/A
If you have a missile agility tech of 80:
5=2.3182E-0.75, for an engine size of 2.4803, and corresponding fuel of 0.7892 and agility of 1.7304 with 1/10000 of a MSP lost in rounding
We don't care, as agility will need some adjusting to avoid rounding losses.
Something seems off with your math.  I can't see where that equation comes from, and I definitely don't see a factor for engine power per MSP in there, which would be an important part of the trade.  In some cases, making the missile faster is better than adding agility, because it has other benefits, too.

In practice, this beautiful precision is unnecessary to counterproductive as there may be other considerations:
I never have enough engine multiplier tech to hit the ideal without excessive range (if I do, I messed up research priorities).

This is pretty common, particularly for AMMs.

Also, bigger lower-power engine and less fuel is cheaper.
I'm not so sure about this.  I may have to play with numbers.

I usually want more engine and less agility than the theoretical optimum: faster to better evade PD, better range for free if we can increase engine size, and again usually cheaper.
This I will agree with.  My second stages have no agility at all, while the AMMs use the same engine and have a smaller warhead.

In practice, 40% engines, 30% warhead+sensors, 20% agility, 10% fuel is my guideline for general-purpose missiles. If you're set on a different payload, the 4:2:1 ratio of engine to agility to fuel remains useful.
That's going to give you about 95% of the efficiency of a proper optimum.  Which is decent, but not perfect.

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 11:10:13 AM »
I retract my earlier comment on your math not working.  I worked through the same math, and got the same equation.  It's beyond weird that the engine power drops out, but it does.
The equation I got is P=5S/A+C/2 where P is the space allotted to propulsion, S is the size of the missile, A is agility per MSP, and C is the space allotted to (propulsion+agility). 
This is a tremendously useful equation for designing AMMs, and probably fairly useless for everything else.  Thanks.
I should include the standard caveats.  First, this was derived under the assumption that speed is directly proportional to the propulsion fraction.  This is probably not a good assumption in most design cases.  If you're building an AMM, you probably have a certain range you want, and then you want as high a hit possibility as possible at that range.  A first approximation would be to include fuel in the (S-C) space, normally allocated to warhead.  This assumes that fuel consumption remains constant, but bigger engines will need less fuel.  I'm not sure there's a good way to deal with this analytically. 
I'm currently looking into quantifying the performance advantage of these optimized missiles over the significantly faster missiles I've been using to date.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 11:41:42 AM by byron »

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 01:10:15 PM »
I've done some poking around, and the only case in which faster-than-optimum missiles seem to work is when you're operating in shoot-look-shoot mode, and the faster missiles get more opportunities to shoot.  A 20-25% above-optimum speed missile seems to work well here.  In cases where you're limited by magazine size or launcher ROF, the missile with the highest chance to hit is the best choice.
(And this probably isn't that useful.  1v1 is only a good idea when you have high odds of a hit.  Going from 1.5% chance of a given leaker to a 1% chance isn't a big improvement, particularly when it means you need to fire more missiles overall.  Have one ship in your fleet set its fire control for short range and go 2v1 there.)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 01:22:30 PM by byron »

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 05:55:48 PM »
if enemy missiles are faster than your AMMs this can end up being a problem for several reasons.  Most notably, offset AMM escort tactics and last-ditch AMM salvos will not work very well.