Author Topic: Aurora C# Screenshots  (Read 145429 times)

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
Re: Aurora C# Screenshots
« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2016, 04:15:24 PM »
My concern there would be the potential for serious problems due to the civilian shipping sector if the colony sees big temperature swings.  If it gets closer to ideal at one point and they pile people on, you could end up with serious problems as the temperature falls/rises again.
One way to deal with this might be to look at capping the colony costs for temperature extremes.  I'm not sure that a very cold world without atmosphere would be much worse than a temperate world without atmosphere.  Heat is a bit more problematic.  For that matter, it doesn't make that much sense that a world with slightly too little oxygen in an otherwise-breathable atmosphere (which should be manageable with a simple rebreather) is just as bad as a world with no atmosphere at all, where you need a space suit to go outside. 
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2016, 06:04:17 PM »
My concern there would be the potential for serious problems due to the civilian shipping sector if the colony sees big temperature swings.  If it gets closer to ideal at one point and they pile people on, you could end up with serious problems as the temperature falls/rises again.
One way to deal with this might be to look at capping the colony costs for temperature extremes.  I'm not sure that a very cold world without atmosphere would be much worse than a temperate world without atmosphere.  Heat is a bit more problematic.  For that matter, it doesn't make that much sense that a world with slightly too little oxygen in an otherwise-breathable atmosphere (which should be manageable with a simple rebreather) is just as bad as a world with no atmosphere at all, where you need a space suit to go outside.

I would probably handle it by having a min, max and current colony cost with civilian shipping only using the max. It's a long way off yet though so I'll look at this once I see how comets work out.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #152 on: April 14, 2016, 08:58:03 PM »
I've not posted any screenshots in a while as I have been working on loading and calculating all the data for the economics window (plus I have been back at work after some time off). When this is done it will lay a lot of foundation for the 5-day intervals.

One interesting item has popped up. Due to the new Low Gravity Infrastructure (now LG Infrastructure, not AG - thanks for the suggestion), comets can be colonised. However, their colony cost will change over time depending on their distance from the sun, which may lead to some interesting situations. If this works out OK in practice, it would open up the possibility to use elliptical planetary orbits and have changing colony cost over time for planets/moons and asteroids.
I have a related idea.  Given variable colony costs, should moons have or cause tides?  For terrestrial planets like Earth, obviously the answer is no, tides simply aren't large enough to matter.  But tidal forces are very important for gas giant moons.  Encelaedus and Europa both have liquid oceans beneath the ice thanks to heating tidal friction.  In-game, maybe this should raise their temperature?  Right now, it's impossible to get the gas giant moons to 0 col cost, you just can't cram enough greenhouse gases on them and still be within the livable pressure range.  But given some additional heat from the tides, maybe you could?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #153 on: April 15, 2016, 07:44:53 AM »
If we're getting into terraforming, can we add water cycle? Or at least make it so that to reach cost 0, there has to be a water source on the object. Or make it possible for terraformers to add water on a planet in a way that would be noticed by the F9 screen. I have a tendency to RP my terraforming so that it creates as Earth-like planets as possible and it bugs me that lot of places are seemingly devoid of water.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #154 on: April 15, 2016, 08:09:16 AM »
If we're getting into terraforming, can we add water cycle? Or at least make it so that to reach cost 0, there has to be a water source on the object. Or make it possible for terraformers to add water on a planet in a way that would be noticed by the F9 screen. I have a tendency to RP my terraforming so that it creates as Earth-like planets as possible and it bugs me that lot of places are seemingly devoid of water.
You could add Hydrogen to the atmosphere and RP that every home has a water collector that takes the Hydrogen and Oxygen from the atmosphere and makes water out of it.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #155 on: April 15, 2016, 04:18:13 PM »
Basically a moisture vaporator? Have any special kind of story in mind for that? :D

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2016, 05:32:39 PM »
You could add Hydrogen to the atmosphere and RP that every home has a water collector that takes the Hydrogen and Oxygen from the atmosphere and makes water out of it.
Hey, I know!  We don't have enough water, so let's release hydrogen and oxygen into the atmosphere, and have people combine it on-site!  And then, after the entire atmosphere explodes as soon as someone lights a match, we can ship in replacement colonists to take advantage of the water!
The flammability limit for hydrogen is 4% by volume, which translates to something like 0.3% by weight.  And that's not very effective in terms of water processing.  Even at that limit, you'd need to process something like 30 cubic meters of air for every liter of water you want.  That's not as much as I thought, but I presume you'd want to stay well below the flammability limit.  (All of this ignores loss of hydrogen into space, which is significant on geological timescales, but not, I think, on human/game ones.)
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #157 on: April 15, 2016, 08:26:40 PM »
Since 'water vapour' is one of the available terraforming gasses, I just pump that into atmospheres.  But I too would love the ability to add or subtract a planet's hydrosphere, even if only in SM mod and the to no game mechanical purpose.  It just bugs me to terraform a world to 0.0 but never be able to give it a hydrosphere.

Online Marski

• Commander
« Reply #158 on: April 17, 2016, 04:41:12 PM »
Steve, how would you measure the current progress of converting Aurora to C# in percentage?
I am still hyperexcited for it's release.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #159 on: April 17, 2016, 04:52:42 PM »
Does this mean that C# Aurora's turn times take the same amount of time on turn one and turn 5813259? Does this mean that the game won't slow down the longer you play?

That is something I've always wanted the most of this game

pretty confident the answer to this is always going to be no

however later turns will have much less slow down
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Online Marski

• Commander
« Reply #160 on: April 18, 2016, 06:59:20 AM »
pretty confident the answer to this is always going to be no

however later turns will have much less slow down
Steve answered my question long time ago fam so you're quite a bit late to the train

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #161 on: April 18, 2016, 03:31:47 PM »
Steve, how would you measure the current progress of converting Aurora to C# in percentage?
I am still hyperexcited for it's release.

5-10% maybe. Tactical Map and Class Design done. Working on economics at the moment, mainly for the pop window but this also helps the 5-day increment code as well.

Still a long way to go and my initial burst was due to 10 days off work. Still progressing when I can but free time is limited once again.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #162 on: April 18, 2016, 03:45:37 PM »
Just fired up a new computer. Main display is 3440 x 1440 and secondary is 2560 x 1440. This is not going to help the quest for laptop play :)

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #163 on: April 18, 2016, 03:59:48 PM »
Laptops be damned, playing on three screens here. Now if you are able to fix the negative coordinates on window location I shall be a happy man!

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #164 on: April 18, 2016, 04:30:58 PM »
Maybe you can release a special version for NASA Control Center Houston. 32x5 Monitors, each with a 4K Display.  ;) Just to be able to see everything...