Author Topic: C# Aurora Changes Discussion  (Read 441720 times)

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
Re: C# Aurora Changes Discussion
« Reply #1185 on: December 11, 2017, 02:45:39 PM »
Wait, does this mean there's no point in building more than one or am I misunderstanding something?

That's exactly what that means 8)
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #1186 on: December 11, 2017, 04:27:01 PM »
What do spaceports do that cargo shuttle stations don't, if they're going to be separate?

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #1187 on: December 11, 2017, 04:35:46 PM »
Cargo Shuttles do cargo transport.

Spaceports do cargo, fuel and munitions.

Offline vorpal+5

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #1188 on: December 13, 2017, 04:41:53 AM »
Sorry, this question again.  8) Any plausible release date estimate, like 'probably before summer 2018', or 'after summer 2018', even in beta version? I just had yesterday evening an intense and thrilling moment in VB Aurora, with fighters breaking an enemy jump point patrol* and baring the long delay in each turn increment, it was just awesome (in my head, as there is no graphics, but who needs that?  ;D )

So I'm certainly really pumped up to see Aurora C# within 6 months from now!

*: dozens of fighters emerging from the jump point, some shot down and most zipping around and firing their twin gauss canons, while the survivors of a score of lifeboats nearing their end of life support watched the battle. Imagine the men after 12 days of waiting in space in their lifeboats see the rescue finally arrive! Glorious.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #1189 on: December 13, 2017, 08:45:01 PM »
Summer 2018 would be great that awesome, considering summer 2018 for me is in 17 days.

LOL Dumb Northerners, they are so ignorant of us Southerners, but I am happy for you to wait till your Summer 2018, but I want my release in my summer.  :D

Offline vorpal+5

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #1190 on: December 14, 2017, 12:22:29 AM »
Haha... Indeed for me Summer starts in June, around the 20.  :D

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #1191 on: December 14, 2017, 03:30:02 AM »
I started this in March 2016, so already working on it for 21 months. The main problem is limited free time. If I had a solid few weeks I could probably complete most of it.

I would say it is 70-80% done. The major areas missing are combat and AI, plus I still haven't done about half the movement orders. Almost all of the construction phase is working though and most of the major windows are done. Still several minor windows to complete.

The recent work on ground combat and the interaction with naval combat has slowed the overall process by a few months, but I think the result will be worth it. I have still have a quote a lot of work to finish in this area before starting on the above.

The next major milestone after that will be adding the game creation process and starting the first C# game. At the moment I am still using my last VB6 campaign for all the testing.

As to when it will be completed, that depends on free time and enthusiasm and both of those things are difficult to forecast :)

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1192 on: December 14, 2017, 05:40:27 AM »
As to when it will be completed, that depends on free time and enthusiasm and both of those things are difficult to forecast :)

I wish there was a way for us to donate free time and enthusiasm, then you would be finished in no time :)

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #1193 on: December 14, 2017, 07:37:22 AM »
I would say it is 70-80% done.

So with the 80/20 rule (the last 20% taking 80% of the time) we're only about 7 years out? :) :: ducks for cover ::

John

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
« Reply #1194 on: December 14, 2017, 09:37:30 AM »
While free time is much more difficult to cultivate, allow us to provide you with a nearly unlimited supply of enthusiasm. 

Adam.

Offline Dr. Toboggan

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #1195 on: December 14, 2017, 06:02:18 PM »
Since I don't use jump tenders or squadron transit in my games, how hard would it be to include a size modifier to make jump engines smaller if squadron size were reduced to x1? I put jump engines on all my ships, and the current system seems to penalize those who don't use tenders.

Offline vorpal+5

• Captain
« Reply #1196 on: December 15, 2017, 01:43:26 AM »
Combat not reworked, additional ground operations code and AI to review and improve. Mmmmh, seems definitively past summer 2018. But one can hope.  ;D

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1197 on: December 18, 2017, 07:01:15 AM »
According to the documentation I found, the C# release date is the 2020 olympics.

Offline King-Salomon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1198 on: December 19, 2017, 02:04:06 PM »
@ Forced Labour Camps

Steve, you are writing that 100k population are "consumed" when build - is there a restriction how many you can "transport" or build at a small planet/asteroid?

With the new mechanic to have a "maximum Population" is seems a little bit strange to be able to get f. ex.  5kk "slave labourer" (50 camps) at a 50k max Asteroid?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #1199 on: December 19, 2017, 02:29:29 PM »
@ Forced Labour Camps

Steve, you are writing that 100k population are "consumed" when build - is there a restriction how many you can "transport" or build at a small planet/asteroid?

With the new mechanic to have a "maximum Population" is seems a little bit strange to be able to get f. ex.  5kk "slave labourer" (50 camps) at a 50k max Asteroid?

That is a very good point :)

There are a few options here.

1) Ignore the population limit for Forced Labour Camps. That isn't too unrealistic as even the small asteroids with a 50k pop limit are still fairly large. For example, a 20 km diameter asteroid has a 50k limit, yet the surface area is over 1250 square kilometres (about 50% larger than New York City). The limit is more about what colonists are likely to accept than a limit on physical size. Slave labour is not going to complain about conditions or overcrowding (at least not very loudly).

2) Have a limit on the number of Forced Labour Camps, based on max pop. Perhaps 1 camp for every 50k max pop

3) Change to a model where the camp is cheap but you need the workers. The problem is that manufacturing population can be very limited, especially on high colony costs worlds, so it may not be practical (this is why I consumed the pop to make the camp).

I think 1) is probably fine, while 2) is probably more realistic but require the player to ensure he doesn't waste camps by going over the limit.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 02:47:48 PM by Steve Walmsley »