Author Topic: The ability of civilian ships to transport the minerals and components  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Prapor (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • P
see subject 

P. S.  My knowledge of English allows only such laconic posts   ;)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
They already do?

Set up a supply contract and a demand contract.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
Do they transport minerals now?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
No, but moving minerals around is trivial without getting civ shipping into it.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
It's be nice though. And can they move ships components? I though the civies could only move installations and infrastructures.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
I do have a strong preference for declarative supply movement.  The tedium of making sure government freighters are doing their job properly is mainly why I never have extrasolar colonies unless I'm moving my entire industrial base to a system that has every mineral.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
I have to agree Civie Mineral transport would pretty much be the greatest QOL improvement Aurora has ever had
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
I think it would just mean an increase into the already heavy resource hog that is the civilian sector of ships. You really only need a single TG for any mineral transportation that is 1-2 jumps away from Sol, with a single colony set up as a "system capital" all other colonies make use of mass drivers to ensure the capital has a steady stream of minerals arriving. Then set up a set of orders for a TG that does a circuit of all your extra sol capital planets, at each one it loads up on minerals then makes a stop back to your empire capital to unload and refuel before setting off to the next stop. Add to that a tick in the cycle box and you have a transport system you can forget about entirely. If you decide to increase/decrease the amount of mining you are doing in the circuit you simply to a quick check and adjust the speed of the TG so that you minimise the amount of time spent with a less than full load.

In my current campaign I have some 30 odd colonies at present, these are spread out between Sol and 6 systems that are located a single jump away. However I am only using a single TG comprised of 2 freighters to keep the flow of minerals to Earth constant. A jump gate on each point in and out of Sol and liberal use of mass drivers in the systems has meant my growth is only limited by my own desire of how fast I want to mine these systems, anytime I require an increase I simply ship out (using civilian contracts) a few more auto mines and mass drivers. But the actual act of bringing minerals back to Earth is for all purposes fully automated using my own vessels.

The added benefit of this is that you "system capitals" then have a stockpile of minerals build up between each transport trip, this way they can slowly start to develop their own set of facilities etc and prepare for the time when you are looking to expand your boarders and thus need fuel and maintenance depots further out from the empire center. While you can set up civilian contracts for facilities at present, I think doing this for minerals would be something of a logistical nightmare as you need to keep going back to them. If it were something a civilian ship did automatically without input then you run the danger of having colonies that have an empty mineral stockpile which you now have to try to grow.

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel

Offline Prapor (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • P
In my opinion, this is very strange, when the state is engaged in the transportation of raw materials.    I do not dispute the State may be engaged in transportation of raw materials, in some cases (such as the delivery of minerals to a remote military base to which the route passes through the dangerous space), but in reality, the overwhelming share of transport by private vehicles, including delivery of strategic and military goods.   
In Aurora civilian ships carrying civilian goods, passengers and installations.    The question arises - why they can not carry other types of cargo? Current interface is certainly not the most luxurious, but it allows you to assign that, from, where and in what quantities in carry.    A pre-existing ability to assign mineral reserve to avoid a situation where civil pelvis will remove all stocks of raw materials.   
IMHO in Aurora is quite possible to make powerful system of private sector managed by AI
At least the transportation of various goods and minerals production may well be placed under the control of AI.    The player, of course, too, can do this, but it is a ton of micromanagement that personally I have a distaste in 10-15 minutes.   The player's task in this case is - exploration, research, planning of expansion, and of course the war.   

P.  S.   Sorry for the Google Translate, I tried very hard not to use it, but when I read that I got, I was horrified by this and still took by Google
P. P. S.  Topic is the result attempts to play a campaign without a Mass Driver

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 12:03:43 PM by Prapor »

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
I also play without using any mass drivers as I simply dislike the idea behind how they would actually work in a real universe situation. Instead of a mass driver I have "transport docks" within my spaceports that operate small inter planetary craft only for the purpose of moving minerals around.