Author Topic: Photo Races  (Read 5697 times)

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
Photo Races
« on: March 30, 2015, 03:07:15 AM »
While the current race pack is great it didn't quite fit my own needs for my current game, so I went about making a new one. My main goal was that everything should be a photo quality picture where possible, secondly I wanted it to be mostly made of humanoid/insectoid type races. After some time spent trawling through various sci-fi show wiki's etc I got it done. Mostly all taken from the following shows.

Star Trek
Stargate
Farscape
Falling skies
Star Wars
Babylon 5

Only contains 150 or so races at this time due to two issues. Due to how small the picture file is many of the trek races can end up looking just plain human, so I tried to keep it to only ones you would see as non human. Also it seems the SW wiki have ditched all their old race photo pictures in favour of drawn ones. No amount of searching around allowed me to find anywhere that had SW races listed with photo pictures thus I did not add many at all from there. If anyone knows of a place that keeps photo pictures on race profiles I'll happily add them in.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/78x1tvv3mhu8mnn/Races.zip
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 12:26:41 PM by Rich.h »

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Photo Races
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 06:24:53 AM »
I would have to assume that would be for copyright reasons, I'm pretty sure a small thumbnail sized image taken from a screencap in order to show a character's appearance counts as fair use in the US, as long as used for non-profit educational or media use, I'm not sure about the EU though.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 12:26:03 PM »
Ah yes I should I guessed the Disney lawyers may have gone trigger happy as per usual. Well never mind I went through and found a few extra images taken from the SW saga films and updated the original link to include them.

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 03:11:10 AM »
Also it seems the SW wiki have ditched all their old race photo pictures in favour of drawn ones. No amount of searching around allowed me to find anywhere that had SW races listed with photo pictures thus I did not add many at all from there. If anyone knows of a place that keeps photo pictures on race profiles I'll happily add them in.
You can probably find them in the pages history, have you tried loading an old revision?

I would have to assume that would be for copyright reasons, I'm pretty sure a small thumbnail sized image taken from a screencap in order to show a character's appearance counts as fair use in the US, as long as used for non-profit educational or media use, I'm not sure about the EU though.
Maybe, or they just went for style points (I also prefer stylized drawings), because iirc using low res screencaps of character on pages that cover them should have no problem.