Author Topic: Tips for new beginner?  (Read 3365 times)

Offline vassock (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • v
Tips for new beginner?
« on: September 06, 2016, 11:02:37 PM »
So I started a brand new game for the first time playing Aurora 4X with starting races turned off as some recommended.  I have not jumped anywhere.  I'm slowly researching industrial and propulsion tech and terraforming Luna to have . 2 atm oxygen and . 79 atm nitrogen.  I assume I don't need argon.  Should I pick a different gas instead of Nitrogen (like CO2) to help bring the temperature up?

Once my ships are built, I will scout the asteroids and use mass drivers to and automated mines to transfer mineral-rich asteroid ores to Earth.  Can someone explain how to set that up? Do I just move some automines and drivers to the asteroid and then it works automatically? Are there range limitations to mass drivers? Is having at least one on Earth enough to "catch" any and all ore flung at the planet? Do they have to be "installed" somehow?

I then plan to terraform all of the nearly planets that are somewhat habitable with a bit of infrastructure to get them started and will reuse the same terraformers from Luna planet by planet.  Then I'll just let the civilian sector handle the populating.  Does that make sense?

Also, I heard some people use barges to recover fuel from distant objects.  Why do this instead of mass-driving Sorium and converting it on Earth? How does the process work?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Tips for new beginner?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 02:10:11 AM »
The best gas for increasing temperature is 'safe greenhouse gas', which is rather fantasy but considering the setting maybe it makes sense.
Increased atmospheric pressure also contributes a little to temperature so that nitrogen is helpful, also if you have too much oxygen it'll be fatal so you need the nitrogen to dilute the oxygen pressure anyway.
You need a minimum .1 atmospheres of oxygen and it must be no more than 30% of the total gas.
So at minimum you need .1 atm oxygen and .234 atmospheres of any other gas to make a planet inhabitable. But the moon is very cold, with .1 atm oxygen and .234 nitrogen you only raise the surface temperature from -53 to -45 degrees.
If you use safe greenhouse gas instead of nitrogen you'll get a surface temperature of 10 degrees which will get you a colony cost of 0. I personally prefer to get the conditions more earth like and add heaps of nitrogen before the oxygen so I don't end up with people living in an unrealistic flammable environment like that.
In regards to your second question, all thats needed to start mining is to drop an automine onto a planet, comet or asteroid which has been geological surveyed and contains minerals. Minerals will build up in the bodies stockpile, you can either send a freighter there to pick it up or drop off a mass driver. Note that you can transport partial facilities ,  a freighter with a single small cargo hold will drop off a fifth of a mine or mass driver, or a standard cargo hold will deliver a whole building.
A mass driver can transport 5000 tons of minerals a year, which is 70 per 5 day increment, thats about 500 mines at the start unless theres multiple mineral types.
The body you're transporting to needs only 1 mass driver to catch any quantity of minerals. Once your mass driver is built youll see a dropdown in the mining tab to select which body to send it to, note you can set a reserve level which a mass driver won't dig into when sending out minerals.
Also note that eventually "civilian mining complexes" will start being set up in the solar system, they are a great cheap source of minerals as each CMC is worth 10 standard automines and they frequently expand to contain more.
CMC's will be built on bodies which at minimum contain sorium or duranium so I generally leave those alone untill a CMC has been setup on them then add my own mines. You usually see your first CMC's in under 10 years.  My current game has 20 CMC's on 6 different bodies by year 12 giving me 50% more minerals at a cost of only a few mass drivers.
In relation to colonising the solar system, once you have researched nuclear thermal engines and cryogenic transports you'll eventually see civilian colony ships being built, shipping companies should have more than enough capacity to fill up your initial colonies in the solar system, also later when freighters are launched by civilians you can use them for transport of facilities, or just leave them alone to generate trade income. Note that one of the first items they will ship for trade is infrastructure, every colony creates it's own infrastructure and at the start you'll see earth creates more infrastructure for trade than you can afford with your factories, this is free expansion for your colonies if you just let the civilian freighters pick it up and ship it over.
Finally your question about using tankers; when you have fuel harvesters in orbit of gas giants they directly convert the sorium there into fuel so it can't be shipped by mass driver. Civilian shipping companies will also create harvesters too once you have the technology, collecting it is a matter of sending a ship to the civilian harvesters' task group and refuelling from it.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline vassock (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • v
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 05:57:34 PM »
I see.  So harvesters are for harvesting fuel from planets which are not compatible with facilities (like automines or mass drivers), like gas giants, so the only option is to harvest fuel directly.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 11:56:52 PM »
Exactly, gas giants can't be colonized in the usual way but a harvester sent to one will collect fuel directly from it.
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline Stardust

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 08:33:38 AM »
One of the benefits to harvesting fuel from a gas giant as opposed to refining sorium planet side is additional workers to man other planet side facilities.

I like to build as many research facilities that my finances can support, but I usually approach a point where my population simply cannot fully staff them.  If I discover a suitable gas giant for fuel harvesting, I plan ahead for this manning shortage by designing and building a fleet of engineless harvesters along with the tugs to deploy them and the tankers to transport their fuel.

When the time is right, I shutdown any planet side fuel refineries to free up population to man the labs.

Offline vassock (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • v
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 01:23:52 AM »
How can I see how many mass drivers a planet has on it at the time? Also, is there a way to set how "many" mass drivers/mines my transports must carry?

Offline consiefe

• Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 02:36:51 AM »
If you hit the first button on the upper menu in the system view (I think it's called "summary") you can see all you have on a planet you choose from the left side including mass driver count and its supported tonnage. 

You can tell your frieghters task group to pick up exact number of something with specifying a number to the box called "unit load" or something which is placed under the task group order window.  Write the number you desired and than give the order.  You should see an order like "load 20x mass drivers at earth".   

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 01:08:15 PM »
You can use CO2 instead of "safe greenhouse gas", it drives the same purpose and you don't have a fantasy gas in your atmosphere.

Offline bitbucket

• Chief Petty Officer
  • b
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 11:17:33 PM »
You can use CO2 instead of "safe greenhouse gas", it drives the same purpose and you don't have a fantasy gas in your atmosphere.

The issue I have with CO2 is that in concentrations of more than 0.1% it has soporific effects, and long term exposure of more than 1% can be deadly. I leave a few hundredths of a percent in for RP purposes on words I terraform (most modern plants need at least 200 ppm CO2 to live, and I presume after modifying the atmosphere the colonists introduce an ecology to sustain it).

Considering all the technology is predicated on magic minerals from subspace, Aurora comes in at about a 3 on the Mohs Scale of Science Fiction Hardness.

So I started a brand new game for the first time playing Aurora 4X with starting races turned off as some recommended.  I have not jumped anywhere.  I'm slowly researching industrial and propulsion tech and terraforming Luna to have . 2 atm oxygen and . 79 atm nitrogen.  I assume I don't need argon.  Should I pick a different gas instead of Nitrogen (like CO2) to help bring the temperature up?

To get Luna up to 14°C with 1 atmosphere of pressure you're going to need 0.1853 atmospheres of greenhouse gases. For Mars you'll need 0.1755 atmospheres. Every planet is different.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 11:28:03 PM by bitbucket »

Offline vassock (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • v
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 01:00:31 AM »
Quote from: consiefe link=topic=9013. msg96776#msg96776 date=1473493011

You can tell your frieghters task group to pick up exact number of something with specifying a number to the box called "unit load" or something which is placed under the task group order window.   Write the number you desired and than give the order.   You should see an order like "load 20x mass drivers at earth".   

That's the maximum amount to load.  Basically, let's say the moon has 100 terraforming stations that I no longer need there.  I want to move 20 to Mars, but my ship can only carry 6 at a time.  Is there a way to assign the ship to move "20" to Mars so that it takes 3 trips with 6 stations each time and a fourth trip with 2 stations?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 01:29:34 AM »
You can just queue the orders, 3 times 6 then do one load of 2.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 06:05:18 AM »
That's the maximum amount to load.  Basically, let's say the moon has 100 terraforming stations that I no longer need there.  I want to move 20 to Mars, but my ship can only carry 6 at a time.  Is there a way to assign the ship to move "20" to Mars so that it takes 3 trips with 6 stations each time and a fourth trip with 2 stations?

Alternatively, you can contract the move to civilians shipping lanes in the civ/ind tabs.

Offline vassock (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • v
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 06:09:08 PM »
How does the contracting work?

Offline bitbucket

• Chief Petty Officer
  • b
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 08:42:40 PM »
How does the contracting work?

Bring up the Population/Production window, and click on the colony you want stuff moved from. On the top-left part of the "Civilians/Ind Status" tab, select the facility you want moved from the pull-down list, choose the "Supply" option, enter the number you want moved, and hit the "Add Contract" button. This just tells your civilian shipping you have X amount of Y facility up for grabs that you're OK with being shipped elsewhere.

Now the other half: switch to the colony you want those facilities moved to. Do all the same steps but choose "Demand" instead of "Supply." Ships in your civilian shipping lines will look at supply and demand orders every time they complete a delivery and figure out the rest.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 09:38:46 PM by bitbucket »

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 03:09:43 PM »
You can just queue the orders, 3 times 6 then do one load of 2.
This is the only way to do it if your civilian shippings lines are non-existent, don't have freighters or are super busy.

The contracting does work but, if I remember correctly, there is no priority for government contracts so the lines might take a while for transporting anything.

Also, there used to be a bug that if you transported fractions of a facility, they occasionally got lost. The workaround was to make sure that the transport TG always had enough room for a full facility - so if you use the small cargo holds in early game, have five transport ships together, and so on. I'm not sure if this bug still exists though.