Author Topic: Hype by anticipation...:)  (Read 14464 times)

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
Re: Hype by anticipation...:)
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 07:57:17 PM »
The really question is ..

Is Steve Santa and will we receive a Christmas present. <smile>

Offline lennson

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • l
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 09:58:23 PM »
Whether that is possible probably depends on whether he intends to wait till he has re-implemented everything that is the current version or whether he will release a partially complete version (perhaps missing NPRs, "Spoilers", etc. that are not necessarily 'core' to the game.).

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 11:53:34 AM »
The really question is ..

Is Steve Santa and will we receive a Christmas present. <smile>

Maybe for Xmas 2017 :)

It isn't going to be ready this year. I do have a few days off next week and hope to make some progress on system generation. However, I am probably at least six months away from completion. I do hope to get a test game started earlier than that - maybe 2-3 months. It really depends on my available free time.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 11:54:20 AM »
Whether that is possible probably depends on whether he intends to wait till he has re-implemented everything that is the current version or whether he will release a partially complete version (perhaps missing NPRs, "Spoilers", etc. that are not necessarily 'core' to the game.).

The first test game will likely be without AI - at least at the start.

Offline JesDer

• Leading Rate
  • J
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2016, 03:21:00 PM »
I am just happy it is still being worked on. 

I think I might need to play some more Aurora . .  maybe finish up my 3rd party app I never released.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2016, 06:36:37 AM »
The first test game will likely be without AI - at least at the start.

Who needs AI anyway? All I want is pathfinding and working civilian lines and I'm set to go with multi empire games where you control all yourself ;D

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2016, 12:31:35 PM »
Who needs AI anyway? All I want is pathfinding and working civilian lines and I'm set to go with multi empire games where you control all yourself ;D
People who want to carve a path through space while encountering surprises that make you go "****, is that what I have to go against?".
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2016, 12:53:22 PM »
People who want to carve a path through space while encountering surprises that make you go "****, is that what I have to go against?".

Don't you mean people who want to carve a path through space while encountering 8'000km/s missiles that your warships can outrun and 2000km/s warships only armed with point blank range weapons that your civilian ships can outrun, despite giving the AI 100:eds of % of boosts?

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2016, 04:57:19 PM »
Thats what he means, yeah.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2016, 06:30:51 AM »
6 months sounds good for a mostly complete alpha, we all would gladly help 'bugtest' for you.
The new version should make multiplayer forum games rather more easy than they have been in the past, I'm pretty confidant a few people will have a good time with that.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2016, 12:29:05 PM »
We are having a good time already with the current version in the ongoing community game, but of course also looking forward to the next version like everyone else.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2016, 08:49:12 AM »
Honestly I'm just excitedly awaiting the rebalanced orbital infrastructure, the fact that that stuff is practical now is so hype.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2016, 09:31:10 AM »
Honestly I'm just excitedly awaiting the rebalanced orbital infrastructure, the fact that that stuff is practical now is so hype.
I just want to play with 6+ empires at start, all spoilers, and with a high generation chance without getting a slowdown. To me those other features, while nice and very useful, are somewhat secondary. Don't get me wrong, I really want to build some skeleton ships (no-armor cargo/fuel modules pulled by a "tug") to supply massive warfleets to battle all the xenos left, right, and center, and drop some titans on some poor chumps' head.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

The following users thanked this post: Lamandier

Offline Bandus

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
  • Discord Username: Bandus#6943
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2016, 10:17:02 PM »
I just discovered that Aurora was being re-written in C# today. I spent a bunch of time looking at the screenshots and reading up on what info has been released so far. I have to say, I am extremely excited to hear about this!
"Just this once --- everybody lives!" - My Doctor

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2016, 03:45:39 AM »
Don't you mean people who want to carve a path through space while encountering 8'000km/s missiles that your warships can outrun and 2000km/s warships only armed with point blank range weapons that your civilian ships can outrun, despite giving the AI 100:eds of % of boosts?

I agree that something appears to have happened between 6.21 and 6.43. In 6.21 I was running the AI at +150% and came up against two NPRs that significantly out teched me. Took ~10 years minimum to catch up on each while trying and occassionally failing to hold warp points (see http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=5470.0). Thats when I found the major problem with mines, they all go off or none. (a mine field where only a given number activate per contact would be good). Since 6.43 the AI at 500% has been rubbish.
Ian
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 04:41:49 AM by IanD »
IanD