Author Topic: Very bad uninvited guests: a question about timing.  (Read 5162 times)

Offline Zincat (OP)

• Captain
  • Z
Very bad uninvited guests: a question about timing.
« on: January 11, 2017, 08:00:44 PM »
So, it's been a while since I last fought the galactic invaders, and I don't remember / can't find an answer to this.

I am playing a barebone, conventional start game. 15 years ingame I was finally able to get outside Sol (which I really need as there is 0 sorium in the entire system, beside some on earth). And... 6 months later, 2 jumps from sol, a stable wormhole appears.

Now, I know they will grav survey and eventually gate their way to me. The question is, how fast? How much time do I realistically have before they come? I seem to remember the whole thing could take a while sometimes. But I'm not sure I remember correctly and I wanted to ask.

I currently have no fleet and not even a single weapon system researched. I think I am screwed, but well, asking does not cost anything XD

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Very bad uninvited guests: a question about timing.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 08:50:39 AM »
The last game I found them they hung around for years annoying the other NPR's who were sending ships through the system, meanwhile earth was 2 jumps away. I don't know really, but your days are probably numbered.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Zincat (OP)

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 10:03:40 AM »
Yes well, another wormhole appeared 3 years later, 2 jumps from sol. In another direction. Another direction where I wanted to go XD I think I'm going to restart at this point, and delay exploration outside of sol a bit more.

I did not remember the invaders arriving so soon, just 15-20 years ingame... And not with 2 different wormholes XD Because when you do a conventional start, there's really not much you can do about it so soon in the game.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 11:48:12 AM »
You can power through this threat. You just need to play your cards right, and try to build around the Invader technology advantage.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Zincat (OP)

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 01:59:24 PM »
You can power through this threat. You just need to play your cards right, and try to build around the Invader technology advantage.

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but it was too late. All my shipyards were just destroyed. A fleet entered my system just 4 months of game time after last post, coming from the direction the first stable wormhole appeared. Guess they had a gate builder up, or it was a jump capable fleet.

Guess I'll be a little more cautious next time, before leaving sol. Still I was surprised that they showed up this soon...

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 02:19:32 PM »
It's totally random.  If you are doing a conventional start, I suggest leaving Invaders off until a minimum of TL3.

Offline Zincat (OP)

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 02:38:32 PM »
It's totally random.

Well,  I thought as much but still this is the earliest they showed up in all of my games. Admittedly, I have not played as much as some of the other forum members, but still I was surprised.

If you are doing a conventional start, I suggest leaving Invaders off until a minimum of TL3.

I have never done that before. Does changing the enabled threats at program startup actually works just as the normal starting option? So I can simply enable the invaders from a certain point onward?

I always played with all threats on from the very beginning :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 03:43:38 PM by Zincat »

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 02:56:53 PM »
Yeah, if you turn them on midgame they will start rolling for wormholes.

The other spoilers only show up if their option is enabled when the system is generated.