Author Topic: Mission pods and their feasability.  (Read 223 times)

Offline obsidian_green

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
    • View Profile
Mission pods and their feasability.
« on: September 07, 2017, 10:06:31 PM »
Inspired by an older thread, I'm considering engineless pods for modular components (like sensors or flag bridges). I'm interested in hearing advice, especially if that takes the form of pointing out unexpected drawbacks like difficulty docking/re-docking when I park the host ship in a PDC hangar. I'd have to launch the pod before I dock the ship, but will the pod then execute a dock order to the PDC with no engines? I'm sure I could manually dock it and it'd be great to save that 1HS, but I might prefer a minimal engine to the hassle.

Other considerations I'm missing completely?

Offline Iranon

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Mission pods and their feasability.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 11:58:50 PM »
No problem with docking. Being engineless just restricts you to a speed of 1 km/s, no special restrictions. I don't really see how a minimal engine would help.

No considerations or major headaches I can think of, very much unlike tractored pods.

The following users thanked this post: obsidian_green

Offline obsidian_green

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 01:44:34 AM »
Thanks, Iranon. 1HS saved and I'm thrilled!

I think I've noticed that about tractoring when I designed a class of fuel harvesting stations without engines. Correct me if I'm wrong: they can be tractored (via standard transit) through gates without issue, but don't try to use a jump tender. Bit of inconsistency there, since that tender should have been acting as a mobile jumpgate. I also think a tug/engineless-pod pair will transit if the combined mass of each pair is less than the tender's jump rating/size restriction, but that doesn't matter (combined mass of the pair can be larger) if each has engines and the individual ships fit under the tender's limits.

Offline Iranon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 02:51:45 PM »
Jump issues wasn't what stood out in my memory, I don't actually recall them. Maintenance failures causing interrupts and breaking tractor chains was the major annoyance.

Offline obsidian_green

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 09:45:58 PM »
Jump issues wasn't what stood out in my memory, I don't actually recall them. Maintenance failures causing interrupts and breaking tractor chains was the major annoyance.
I think I've seen a little of that too. I tried towing the only prize I've ever captured (combat interrupts to tell me how long it would be to an actual report didn't encourage me to try to capture another ship), but it's fuel tank was shot up. The tug did not prevent constant interrupts to tell me prize's fuel tanks were empty and I had all sorts of error messages popping up until I finally abandoned ship.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51