Author Topic: 10 JP's!?  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Shininglight (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
10 JP's!?
« on: July 06, 2012, 07:08:21 PM »
hello all, the title explains my predicament rather well, I was scouting down the only warp chain leading out of my territory when i discovered this, i had the survey vessels to scout all of the jump points and did so, i now have nearly a dozen paths leading out from this system, i also found a jp linking two systems from the jp, I don't know how to put up images... otherwise i'd have one up,if someone can tell my how to post screenshots it would help immensely, I was wondering how i should handle it, I only have 1 real combat fleet, 4 colonies just starting up, 1 picket squadron and a carrier squadron with FAC's.... Someone halp me, cus i'm afraid to scout these jp's, the system they all link to had several wrecks in it when i first jumped in. I have plenty of survey vessels but still not enough to scout down all of the warp chains simultaneously.

I've only been playing aurora for a few months and this is my first serious game, i'd rather not have to give up on this due to this warp nexus.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 07:09:57 PM by Shininglight »
Admiral Damien James Winter, Defender of the Proxima Gate.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: 10 JP's!?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 08:30:06 PM »
Personally, I survey in rings. When I find a system I want to turn into a nodal system, I start by shipping in supplies and fuel. Hopefully on a 0-cost (or low cost) planet. Then I use that system as a jumping off point for further exploration.

Offline Redshirt

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 09:46:40 PM »
Set up a defense/monitoring post in the system with all the jump points, then stick your head in the sand and hope nothing happens. Most of the time, the things that come through will be NPRs that are roughly at the same tech level as you.

Slowly explore the systems as you feel comfortable. You've found a nexus system- it's a valuable strategic point; if you can set up a good defense there, you'll be free to expand behind it as much as you want.

Remember, there's 1000 systems in the galaxy you can explore, if you're using standard settings. Most players never explore that many.
Living up to my username. . .

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 10:08:30 PM »
I've been exploring the systems for awhile, started a fuel dump on the 2.9 col cos planet in system, dumping maint supplies, realised with my slow as hell resupply boats it would take years to build up a big enough dump so i pulled the tankers back for a refit. 1st Fleet is currently at the nexus, i've explored 2 systems out from the hub so far, foudn nothing, not even any spoiler races. I'm starting up some OWP designs for jp defense, not really sure what to look for atm. 3 or so of the systems are dead ends with to of the systems linked... somehow, organisation is starting to get confusing, I now have... 18 systems.... all linked to one system or branching off from that one system... i think i may stop exploration in a moment and focus on consolidating what i have, most of my colonies are screaming for minerals, i'm running out on earth.... this game is fun. Still trying to figure how to post screenshots, any help with that would be wonderful.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:36:26 PM by Shininglight »

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 10:12:38 PM »
prtsc, paste to image software, save, upload to external site, get the url, put it between [img] tags here (click the picture button, next to the OOC button).

Alternatively, click "additional options" and upload it directly.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 10:19:06 PM »
prtsc, paste to image software, save, upload to external site, get the url, put it between [img]http://tags here (click the picture button, next to the OOC button).

Alternatively, click "additional options" and upload it directly.

The [img] tags embed the picture into the post at the place where the tags are. The additional options method tacks them to the end of the post, similar to email attachments.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 02:13:58 AM by Erik Luken »

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 10:40:29 PM »
It won't attach, the image is saved as a Bitmap and i don't have any software to change the attachment, the comp i'm using is around 6 years old and running XP. I don't have accounts on any uploading sites... damnit.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 02:16:24 AM »
I don't recall if XPs paint program allows you to save as a png or jpg. I thought it allowed jpg. Bmps are really too big for internet, especially with a database :) You can try gimp (http://www.gimp.org/). It is free and you should be able to run in on XP with no issues. At a minimum it will allow you to save it as a png or jpg. :)

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 04:08:36 AM »
I don't recall if XPs paint program allows you to save as a png or jpg. I thought it allowed jpg.
On XP, Paint allows both JPG and PNG (and GIF and TIF). You can change the file type using "Save As ..." and choosing which type in the "Save as type:" list.

As for uploading, imgur.com doesn't require an account and has free accounts anyway.

Edit: And I would suggest the free Paint.NET before the Gimp.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 04:12:00 AM by Ziusudra »

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 11:14:32 AM »
Thanks for the help y'all here's the screenshot.... finally.

To the left is a link between sirius and Alpha centauri then sol, then a culdesac group of systems.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 11:16:54 AM by Shininglight »

Offline Gothmos

• Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 07:55:04 PM »
What system generation parameters were you using? I've never encountered something as linear as that, but I've been trying :S.

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 09:15:28 PM »
lol i ran out of jps at sirius, so i sm'd a new one to a random system, that's what resulted. Sirius to Alpha centaurii is just the quickest route, you'll notice that sirius is liked to Teegarden's which goes to epsilon eridani.... here i'll just upload the rest of my map .

The system generation parameters were the default. I'm rather terrified of DMJP's atm as my core worlds arre still very fresh, most don't even have a starting industry yet, besides New Eden in Alpha centaurii. While 1st or home fleet can probably intercept easily enough i'd still rather not lose any colonies.

I feel as though this isn't the rigth place for these pictures.... i guess this thread would probably go better in the gallery sorry for putting it up here.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 09:18:01 PM by Shininglight »