Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 5048 times)

Offline wobbly (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • w
A few questions
« on: August 29, 2013, 12:28:36 PM »
Hi, I have few questions I haven't been able to find answers to searching the forum:

1. a. Do Geo/Grav vessels burn fuel while scanning?
    b. If I select picket before scanning are my survey ships harder to detect/saving fuel?

2. Is there any other way to change a vessel's speed other then the picket command?

3. I've been playing around with adding scanners on missiles & have no idea what's an effective amount. I assume for thermals it depends on the target's engines, so against ion engine how much is good for a. a missile, b. fighters/facs, c. a destroyers?

Thanks,
Michael

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 12:54:15 PM »
Speed changes are accomplished via the task group screen (F12). Upper left block, just to the right of the task group select droplists.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 04:01:32 PM »
1.a. Nope
  b. Only to passive thermal sensors, as the engines are basicly shut down and so do not emit any heat

2. See Erik´s reply

3. There simply is no correct answer. Aurora allows soooo much variety, you can´t predict anything. Your enemy may fly around in a huge battleship wich would have a thermal sig of 3000, but has engines with thermal reduction 25%, so only has an effective sig of 750. A destroyer (typical thermal sig of 400 to 600 (assuming some 5000 to 7000 tons and 3000 to 4000 km/s speed) would then only have a sig of 100 to 150, or he just shuts his engines down, you loose any lock instantly.

Thermals vs. missiles? Forget it!
Thermals vs. fighters/FAC? Very hard, thermal sig is _very_ small (I am tempted to say: vs. fighters forget it too), so you need big sensors, making the missile _very_ ineficient.
Thermals vs. warships? Can work, but see above.

Personally, if I use sensors on missile at all (rather rare) I go for actives, as they do not depend on the enemy to comply with my wishes.
In those cases, I go with the rule of thumb to have at least as much sensor range as my missiles fly in a single 5 second tic, i.e. a 30000km/s missile will mount a 150000km ranged sensor.
This rule of thumb can be applied for passive sensors too, of course. If you´re enemy uses ships with a thermal sig of 800, you designe the sensors of your missiles accordingly.

Note: The term "destroyer" realy tells nothing in Aurora, as you can class a 800 ton gunboat or a 100000 ton behemoth a destroyer.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline wobbly (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • w
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 06:05:18 PM »
Well usually for me a destroyer is between around 6000-11000 ton depending on what size shipyard the RNG generates at the start. I probably wouldn't of bothered with sensors myself except when I tweak the numbers on the missile I hit a point where more agility doesn't seem to change the accuracy & more fuel makes the missiles several times longer then my sensors, so I thought I'd try sensor missiles & see how they worked.

Another question I just remembered, will 2 boat bays fit a 500 ton fighter? or do you need the hanger? I'll find this out for myself soon enough, but if someone answers before I research & build a fighter base it may save me some head-aches later on.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 06:30:09 PM »
boat bays are the precursor to hanger bays.  They work the same, just with less overall capacity/ton of ship used.

Brian

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 10:22:23 PM »
Em/th sensors makes sense on a buoy for system and jump point surveillance - this can be combined with a minefield.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline Cocyte

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • C
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 06:54:47 AM »
Another question I just remembered, will 2 boat bays fit a 500 ton fighter? or do you need the hanger?

Boat bays and hangar bays contribute to an abstract "total bay size". The size of each individual bay does not act as a limit of the size of an individual ship.

I've got a couple (well, more like a couple of dozens actually) of PDCs with 8 hangar bays able to accomodate a single 8000t destroyer. Those PDCs are a very convenient way of reducing the maintenance counter of ships without them being stuck in overhaul.

On the sensor side, I *never* encountered any NPCs with thermal-reduced engines. The Iranshar Unity I'm currently planning to... erm... "pacify" have a lot of 1000, 2000 and 3000 thermal signature ships. I always put sensors - either thermal or active - on my missiles to allow for retargetting. Dedicating at least a token amount of space for sensor is mandatory in my books.

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 08:47:17 AM »
On missiles that have room, I put a bit of thermal sensors on there to go after nearby ships in case of over-salvoing.   I used to use active sensors, but since I so commonly use fighters I stopped doing that, as I want my fighters to launch and retreat without being detected.   An active ping from a missile is a giant "HEY LOOK AT ME SIGN".

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 09:31:37 AM »

On the sensor side, I *never* encountered any NPCs with thermal-reduced engines. The Iranshar Unity I'm currently planning to... erm... "pacify" have a lot of 1000, 2000 and 3000 thermal signature ships. I always put sensors - either thermal or active - on my missiles to allow for retargetting. Dedicating at least a token amount of space for sensor is mandatory in my books.

Ah, but that is because the AI is "stupid". I never base my design desicions on the stupidity of the AI but as if a real person would play them. That does not mean that I don´t tailor my designs _after_ making contact and _after_ getting some sensor readings on them.

The ideal way to play Aurora would be a true multiplayer game. Short of that, playing several races at the same time is the next best thing. Both ways have the huge drawback of a massive management workload, unfortunately.

Note: I am not complaining, the detail-richness is what makes Aurora Aurora and the workload is just a natural effect of that.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline wobbly (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • w
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 01:41:51 AM »
Thanks guys for the answers.

On missiles that have room, I put a bit of thermal sensors on there to go after nearby ships in case of over-salvoing.   I used to use active sensors, but since I so commonly use fighters I stopped doing that, as I want my fighters to launch and retreat without being detected.   An active ping from a missile is a giant "HEY LOOK AT ME SIGN".

How much is a bit? When I enter the numbers it gives me a detection range, trouble is I don't know how close together missiles travel in a salvo or how close together ships are in a TG.

I had another question, searching through older posts I saw it mentioned a few times that civilian transport behaves differently on 8 hr turns. Is this still current? Is it actually worth the bother? I'm currently using 1 day increments on auto-turns most of the time so it wouldn't be much slower.

Damn it I just thought of 2 more questions while I was typing.

a. Sometimes my auto-turns are interrupted with no interrupt message in my events log. Usually happens when I'm exploring a new system with hostiles. It looks from my end like it's interrupting for a contact even though my scanners aren't long enough range to pick it up. Anyone know what causes this?

b. Completely forgot what b was. Will come back to it when it annoys me in-game.
Edit: Remembered. The cost/time of retooling a shipyard, is it based on absolute refit cost, or a % change like build a different ship from the same shipyard is.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 02:11:30 AM by wobbly »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 07:52:53 AM »
a. Sometimes my auto-turns are interrupted with no interrupt message in my events log. Usually happens when I'm exploring a new system with hostiles. It looks from my end like it's interrupting for a contact even though my scanners aren't long enough range to pick it up. Anyone know what causes this?

Just because you can't see them, doesn't mean they can't see you.

Offline wobbly (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • w
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 08:07:30 AM »
In which case shouldn't the auto turns keep ticking away, rather then flagging to me - hey I can see you?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 09:45:09 AM »
It depends on what is happening.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 09:47:31 AM »
Aurora treats an entire salvo and an entire task group as a point-target, i.e. no space between individual missiles/ships.

a. While not interrupting _would_ leave you more in the dark, the AI has to react to the fact, that it spotted you. To react, Aurora has to stop.
Yes, in theory, it could do that while keeping running with continuous turns, but I don´t think it can do that in "real life" at the moment.
That is similar to Aurora stopping the continous turns when there is a battle between two AI races, you don´t even know about
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline wobbly (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • w
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 09:56:50 AM »
Aurora treats an entire salvo and an entire task group as a point-target, i.e. no space between individual missiles/ships.
So for a missile sensor that would mean:

a. my ship destroyed: sensor needs to detect distance missiles are short of target?
b. target destroyed: distance irrelevant/will re-target other missile in salvo/ship in TG as effectively distance=0?