Author Topic: Jump engine mechanics  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Kaiser (OP)

• Commander
  • K
Jump engine mechanics
« on: October 23, 2013, 05:23:41 PM »
Hi again

I have one questions about JP and one clarification about jump engines.

1) Is it normal that, just after to have discovered a jump point in another system (without to have entered phisycally with a ship)  I can see what's on the other side just choosing the system one the menù on the map?

2) I have created a military jump ship, size 3000t, max squadron size 1 (self jump only I assume it means that no other ships can jump with it) and I sent it to the JP. Once I ordered "standard transit" the ship jumped on the other side regularly.
For some reasons which are not related with the questions, on the JP there was also a small commercial ship with no jump engine; well, after the jump engine ship jumped, I was able to send the small not jump engine equipped ship on the other side, giving it the same "standard transit". Of course no gates are there..
Is it normal that a jump engine max squadron size 1 can make jump another ship with no jump engine?

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
Re: Jump engine mechanics
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 06:06:54 PM »
for 1) that should only happen if you have a link to a previously explored system.

2) Self jump only applies to squadron transits I believe. standard transits don't have those limitations, in exchange for essentially crippling the jumping ships for 2 minutes right on the JP. So any such ship I think can be a jump tender.

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 07:19:53 PM »
I'm surprised that the military jump engine was able to act as tender for the commercial ship, though.  I thought it had to be the right type.  Or maybe it works that way, but not the other way: i.e. a commercial jump engine cannot serve military ships.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 10:35:04 PM »
That is how it works, Commercial engines are much cheaper than military ones, you don't want military craft using those, size restrictions still apply, but if you've gone to the expense to make a military jump engine then it can be used by commercial craft.