Author Topic: Final Fire PD in Atmosphere  (Read 2852 times)

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
Final Fire PD in Atmosphere
« on: February 21, 2020, 01:57:00 PM »
For some reason my PDC's lasers were able to destroy a missile in 1.0 atmosphere while its microwaves were penalized for the atmosphere. 

What are the conditions for non-meson final fire PD to penetrate 1.0 atmosphere, or is that just a bug?

Thanks in advance

Offline Gabethebaldandbold

• last member of the noob swarm
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Final Fire PD in Atmosphere
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 02:54:56 PM »
I also want to know
To beam, or not to beam.   That is the question
the answer is you beam. and you better beam hard.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 03:25:27 PM »
The image given does not show Microwave fire.  It shows both PDCs firing the same weapon, a "PD 25cm C6 Soft X-ray Laser"

The difference is that the effective laser hits a "Size 4.3 Missile" and the three stopped by atmosphere hit a "Size 4.3 Radiation Missile"

Offline hubgbf

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • h
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 03:31:54 PM »
The Wiki says: http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Beam_Overview

All beam weapons work in a vacuum. Only Mesons will work through any thickness of atmosphere. All other beam weapons lose power as the atmosphere gets denser on a linear scale with 1 atmosphere pressure being the point where beam weapons lose 100% power. Similarly, Beam weapon effective range will be reduced in Nebulae systems.

So your PDC cannot destroy any missile in an 1.0 atmosphere, just like aurora 7.x.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 04:54:20 PM »
That's not the problem. The problem is that one successfully fired at "point blank" while the other did not. Either both should have failed or neither should have failed.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 05:59:12 PM »
I think the solution lies in the difference between the regular missile and the radiation missile.  Possibly one is a laser warhead or multi-stage missile and the final fire point defense calculation was run at a different distance.

(All fire at less than 10,000 km is calculated as if it were at 10,000 km to avoid division-by-zero and infinity bugs.)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 01:17:28 PM »
Both say 10,000 km and both say point-blank. Either the log is lying or there is some sort of weirdo bug here.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 02:11:13 PM »
Oh, there's definitely some sort of weirdo bug here, but they both say "Point Blank" because Aurora is automatically firing them in 'Final Defensive Fire' mode.  And they both say "10,000 km" because regardless of the true range -- as long as it is less than or equal to 10,000 km -- Aurora says "10,000 km."

Thinking about it, a third possibilty that occurs to me (for the source of the bug) is that perhaps one PDC is in "Final Defensive Fire" mode and the other is "Final Defensive Fire (self only)" mode.

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 04:26:05 PM »
Sounded reasonable, so I tried that.  I can still penetrate the atmosphere some of the time in either FF or FF-self-only.  Also, a couple of times the lasers ignored atmosphere too.  Just a bug I guess!