Author Topic: (Slight Spoiler) The bastards are blowing up my ship!  (Read 5681 times)

Offline Xkill (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
(Slight Spoiler) The bastards are blowing up my ship!
« on: December 26, 2011, 11:27:49 PM »
Well then, this time stuff is bad for me. I need help, the Star Swarm has appeared!

After around 5 years of lurking the bastards decided to show up. I was just surveying my second system when strange stuff started to happen. 800 ton wrecked swarmlings started to appear and dissapear at a comet in this new system. In the start it was only one, but by the time I sent my humble 'Unrest Decreaser' fleet in, it was more than 8.

After my fleet got in the system, I ordered them to go to this strange comet, after 2 days of travel, exactly 39 ships appeared right on top of my fleet. The bastards didn't even let me react. On the first 5 seconds of contact they fired upon my ships, blew up 1 and damaged the other 3.

My tech is pretty rudimentary as of now, even thought I'm 10 years in this game. (Ultra crappy scientists that can only operate with 5 labs and no bonus)

This is my only military ship design:

Code: [Select]
Hiigan class Missile Frigate    5.000 tons     498 Crew     722,4 BP      TCS 100  TH 360  EM 0
3600 km/s     Armour 3-26     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 24
Maint Life 0 Years     MSP 0    AFR 1000%    IFR 13,9%    1YR 226    5YR 3392    Max Repair 48 MSP
Magazine 264   

Ion Engine E8 (M) (6)    Power 60    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 60    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 400.000 Litres    Range 180,0 billion km   (578 days at full power)

Size 4 Missile Launcher (6)    Missile Size 4    Rate of Fire 60
Missile Fire Control FC44-R60 (2)     Range 44,6m km    Resolution 60
ASM-10 Snake (66)  Speed: 15.000 km/s   End: 50m    Range: 45m km   WH: 8    Size: 4    TH: 55 / 33 / 16

Active Search Sensor MR1-R1 (1)     GPS 32     Range 1,9m km    Resolution 1
Active Search Sensor MR22-R60 (1)     GPS 2880     Range 22,3m km    Resolution 60

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

I need urgent help, I got 2 survey ships trapped in this system, and this system has a direct connection to Sol! And, sadly, this game is the one with Jump Gates everywhere.

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
Re: (Slight Spoiler) The bastards are blowing up my ship!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 12:30:09 AM »
Well, first of all there are a couple issues with your ship design. You've got a resolution 1 sensor on it, but the only good reason to use one is for point defense, and the ship has no PD weapons. (And it's too short-ranged for countermissiles, anyway.) Second, it has no maintenance modules at all. See the IFR 13.9%? That means there's a 13.9% chance of something breaking every five day increment - and it goes up the longer you stay away from home without refits. With no maintenance storage, you can't fix them, either. Third, your longer-ranged sensor has only half the range of your missiles; the other half of the range is wasted. That's fine if you plan to deploy them with another ship class with better radar, though.

Anyway, your existing fleet is screwed. Did you have your sensors on? That should have picked them up at a decent distance, but sometimes with long increments fleets can seemingly warp in on top of each other. Even if you'd spotted them at range, though, you wouldn't have had enough missiles to put them all down. You'll have to rebuild. Do you have PDCs on Earth? The mothership may or may not find the jump gate, but if it does it'll head for Earth, and a few good PDCs should be able to put it down. You're likely to lose a bunch of ships on the way, though. If you don't have any PDCs, build some. Armor is useless against swarm ships, so you can skimp on it for now. What you want is lots of missile tubes, and lots of missiles to put in them. (You don't need to worry about magazines, though; PDCs can load missiles from the population instantly.) The queen takes a beating to put down, and the more tubes you have the less shield regeneration you'll have to worry about.

Oh, and if you have no good scientists, build more academies. The more academies you have, the more commanders you get, and some fraction of them will be scientists. The more scientists you get, the more good scientists you get.

Offline blue emu

• Commander
  • b
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 01:31:54 AM »
Did you have your sensors on? That should have picked them up at a decent distance

That S22-R60 active sensor will only detect 800-ton targets at 1.5 m-km anyway... that's barely enough time to get off a single salvo at them, considering how fast they move. Even if you detected them, you aren't likely to hit them with those missiles. Surely you can build more accurate missiles with Ion tech level? My current (size-6) Ion-tech missiles have more than three times as good a to-Hit chance:

Missile Size: 6 MSP  (0.3 HS)     Warhead: 4    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 15
Speed: 30000 km/s    Endurance: 28 minutes   Range: 50.0m km
Cost Per Missile: 4.125
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 450%   3k km/s 150%   5k km/s 90%   10k km/s 45%
Materials Required:    1x Tritanium   3.55x Gallicite   Fuel x2500

Development Cost for Project: 412RP

Have you read my thread in the Academy section... "Missile Design for Noobs"?

EDIT: link: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4215.0.html
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 01:35:29 AM by blue emu »

Offline Xkill (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 08:00:28 AM »
Well, first of all there are a couple issues with your ship design. You've got a resolution 1 sensor on it, but the only good reason to use one is for point defense, and the ship has no PD weapons. (And it's too short-ranged for countermissiles, anyway.) Second, it has no maintenance modules at all. See the IFR 13.9%? That means there's a 13.9% chance of something breaking every five day increment - and it goes up the longer you stay away from home without refits. With no maintenance storage, you can't fix them, either. Third, your longer-ranged sensor has only half the range of your missiles; the other half of the range is wasted. That's fine if you plan to deploy them with another ship class with better radar, though.

Anyway, your existing fleet is screwed. Did you have your sensors on? That should have picked them up at a decent distance, but sometimes with long increments fleets can seemingly warp in on top of each other. Even if you'd spotted them at range, though, you wouldn't have had enough missiles to put them all down. You'll have to rebuild. Do you have PDCs on Earth? The mothership may or may not find the jump gate, but if it does it'll head for Earth, and a few good PDCs should be able to put it down. You're likely to lose a bunch of ships on the way, though. If you don't have any PDCs, build some. Armor is useless against swarm ships, so you can skimp on it for now. What you want is lots of missile tubes, and lots of missiles to put in them. (You don't need to worry about magazines, though; PDCs can load missiles from the population instantly.) The queen takes a beating to put down, and the more tubes you have the less shield regeneration you'll have to worry about.

Oh, and if you have no good scientists, build more academies. The more academies you have, the more commanders you get, and some fraction of them will be scientists. The more scientists you get, the more good scientists you get.

Well then, the resolution 1 sensor was really designed just to get some information on the enemy missile capabilities, since this ship was designed to defend against other NPRs (And for serving as cannon fodder to the Precursors) and as such, it isn't particularly suited for combat with the Swarm.

I already know about all the Maintenance stuff, but I like to play without it, so if I could, I would remove even the ones that are in design as of now.

The Longer-Ranged sensor stuff, actually is something that I didn't knew, thanks about that.

Now for the other half:

My fleet was screwed, now it exists no more. I did have the Active Sensors on but they cover such a tiny area that I'm surprised, that I was surprized about what happened.  :P

Yeah, I ordered a full 30 day increment since no one got to my fleet in the 2 days. The little buggers targeted each ship at a time, and that slowed them down a bit. (enough to make the slaugher take around 40 seconds to finish)
I managed to fire 12 missiles at a couple of them, but the missiles did no damage whatsoever, and the bastards had only level 2 armour!

I got no PDCs, since I was counting on the fleet to decrease the unrest in Mars, thought I'm pretty sure they haven't found the Jump Gate, since they where hidden for more than 5 years!

I'm probably safe for now, thought I've been lurking throught the forums and I think I found a solution: Mines! I'll place a couple around the Jump Gate, the bastards come in, the mines launch the missiles, the bastards don't see it and get blown up, and if they don't get blown up they will probably be crippled enough for my crappy ships to take them out. (Except for the queen of course)

I'll try to build some PDCs just in case thought.

The Academies, damm! I knew that I forgot something, I'll rush to build 15 of them (ultra gigantic stockpile of Minerals on Earth)

That S22-R60 active sensor will only detect 800-ton targets at 1.5 m-km anyway... that's barely enough time to get off a single salvo at them, considering how fast they move. Even if you detected them, you aren't likely to hit them with those missiles. Surely you can build more accurate missiles with Ion tech level? My current (size-6) Ion-tech missiles have more than three times as good a to-Hit chance:

Missile Size: 6 MSP  (0.3 HS)     Warhead: 4    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 15
Speed: 30000 km/s    Endurance: 28 minutes   Range: 50.0m km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 450%   3k km/s 150%   5k km/s 90%   10k km/s 45%
Materials Required:    1x Tritanium   3.55x Gallicite   Fuel x2500

Development Cost for Project: 412RP

Have you read my thread in the Academy section... "Missile Design for Noobs"?

EDIT: link: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4215.0.html

Yeah, I know the sensors are as good as crap now but I got nothing else, atleast for that size and tech.

I was trying to get the size on the missiles kinda low, so that it doesn't take more that a few months to make, cost less, and be able to shoot more that them, but since the warhead is, effectively, useless I will be obligated to make them bigger, I think I'm lucky as, I just expanded one of my Naval Yards to 9000 tons.

But now I got Mag Plasma Drives and the speed of the frigate got up to 4800km/s, it aint much but in a few months I'll have better missiles, until then, I'm just going to build up my military.

No, I'll read it now, thanks.

Thanks for the advice you two.

Offline blue emu

• Commander
  • b
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
I'll read it now, thanks.

You may also find this useful... a simple missile-design walk-through, with screen-shots.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4309.msg42582.html#msg42582
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 10:51:55 AM by blue emu »

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 04:33:31 PM »
My current (size-6) Ion-tech missiles have more than three times as good a to-Hit chance:

Missile Size: 6 MSP  (0.3 HS)     Warhead: 4    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 15
Speed: 30000 km/s    Endurance: 28 minutes   Range: 50.0m km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 450%   3k km/s 150%   5k km/s 90%   10k km/s 45%
Materials Required:    1x Tritanium   3.55x Gallicite   Fuel x2500
Consider, though, that they have half the warhead and are 50% bigger, which means 50% slower firing speed. These are still better-designed, but not as dramatically so as the raw hit chance would suggest.

Offline blue emu

• Commander
  • b
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 08:51:56 PM »
Consider, though, that they have half the warhead and are 50% bigger, which means 50% slower firing speed. These are still better-designed, but not as dramatically so as the raw hit chance would suggest.

The overly-large warhead is part of the reason that I consider those missiles to be poorly designed. A large bang is useful ONLY (and this is important!) if the missile can first catch and then hit the target.

Offline Xkill (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 09:35:32 PM »
The overly-large warhead is part of the reason that I consider those missiles to be poorly designed. A large bang is useful ONLY (and this is important!) if the missile can first catch and then hit the target.

Well, yeah, sure, but small baby fingers hitting a ship incessantly wont do any damage at all. It would be better to unite those two things together, and considering my current tech I think it is acceptably feasible.

Here is an example of what I can do now: (I wont build these, since I'm almost finishing the next level of missile and engine tech)

Missile Size: 4 MSP  (0.2 HS)     Warhead: 16    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 15
Speed: 20000 km/s    Endurance: 37 minutes   Range: 45.0m km
Cost Per Missile: 5.4583
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 300%   3k km/s 90%   5k km/s 60%   10k km/s 30%
Materials Required:    4x Tritanium   1.5633x Gallicite   Fuel x1750

Overall it ain't all that good, but considering that the bastards move at 9000km/s I would say that I have a 32-35% chance of hitting something and this is definitely better than 14% chance to hit. And with the next level of engines (I'll get MagCon now) it will be a whole lotta better.

Oh yeah, I managed to get the Survey ships out of the system somehow, granted it layed low for more than 5 months but atleast it got out.

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 12:25:13 AM »
Well, yes, the warhead is too big. Still, though, it's a numbers game. You want to maximize (warhead size*hit chance) - a strength 10 warhead with a 5% hit chance is better than a size 1 bang with a 45% hit chance. (Those particular figures, of course, will never come up in any game, ever, but that's besides the point.

Well, yeah, sure, but small baby fingers hitting a ship incessantly wont do any damage at all.
Yes it will. Small missiles make little pockmarks in the target's armor, and if you stack enough craters on top of each other you make holes. Missiles that hit the holes start breaking important things. Star swarm soldiers are small, so it doesn't take too many missiles before they start overlapping. Three size 8 warheads have a pretty good chance of killing a soldier, and I'm pretty sure a fourth will do it guaranteed.

It would be better to unite those two things together, and considering my current tech I think it is acceptably feasible.

Here is an example of what I can do now: (I wont build these, since I'm almost finishing the next level of missile and engine tech)

Missile Size: 4 MSP  (0.2 HS)     Warhead: 16    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 15
Speed: 20000 km/s    Endurance: 37 minutes   Range: 45.0m km
Cost Per Missile: 5.4583
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 300%   3k km/s 90%   5k km/s 60%   10k km/s 30%
Materials Required:    4x Tritanium   1.5633x Gallicite   Fuel x1750

Overall it ain't all that good, but considering that the bastards move at 9000km/s I would say that I have a 32-35% chance of hitting something and this is definitely better than 14% chance to hit. And with the next level of engines (I'll get MagCon now) it will be a whole lotta better.
...What's your warhead tech? That is a ridiculously big warhead for a size 4 missile. The way I see it, you should never dedicate more than half a missile's tonnage to warhead, and if you're only now getting magneto-plasma drives, I doubt you have 8xMSP warheads. (Or at least, you shouldn't. Much better things to spend the RP on, like getting better engines sooner.)

Offline blue emu

• Commander
  • b
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 12:29:35 AM »
Much better things to spend the RP on, like getting better engines sooner.

... or even fuel efficiency, a very cheap tech which translates directly to larger warheads or better accuracy.

No? Higher fuel efficiency means that your missiles need to carry less fuel to reach the designated range, which allows you to devote some of that displacement to Agility, Engine or Warhead instead.

Offline Xkill (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 01:33:47 AM »
Well, yes, the warhead is too big. Still, though, it's a numbers game. You want to maximize (warhead size*hit chance) - a strength 10 warhead with a 5% hit chance is better than a size 1 bang with a 45% hit chance. (Those particular figures, of course, will never come up in any game, ever, but that's besides the point.
Yes it will. Small missiles make little pockmarks in the target's armor, and if you stack enough craters on top of each other you make holes. Missiles that hit the holes start breaking important things. Star swarm soldiers are small, so it doesn't take too many missiles before they start overlapping. Three size 8 warheads have a pretty good chance of killing a soldier, and I'm pretty sure a fourth will do it guaranteed.
...What's your warhead tech? That is a ridiculously big warhead for a size 4 missile. The way I see it, you should never dedicate more than half a missile's tonnage to warhead, and if you're only now getting magneto-plasma drives, I doubt you have 8xMSP warheads. (Or at least, you shouldn't. Much better things to spend the RP on, like getting better engines sooner.)

It took me more than 7 years to get where I got - I'm pretty sure that I should be here even sooner. (Most of it thought, can be attributed to the AI, who apparently put around than 60000 RP in the Reseach increase tech, which is why I was so bad in the other techs)

Well, I didn't mean no damage, I meant more like veeery little damage - I want to take out someone with 5 missiles not 500. (I know I'm exaggerating here)

I put 2.1 in Warhead if I remember correctly, I didn't save the design, but now I got the MagCon Fusion drives, which took a hugely boringly long time to get. I do have 8x Missile warhead thought, and I got it from the reason stated above.

Anyway, I think I'm finally ready to catch the bugs! I made 3 new designs based in: my current shipyard capabilities, on my personal specifications and on my current technological prowess.. So here it is:

The Main Brawler:

Sol class Missile Destroyer    9.000 tons     928 Crew     1547 BP      TCS 180  TH 875  EM 0
4861 km/s     Armour 3-38     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 60
Maint Life 0,48 Years     MSP 107    AFR 648%    IFR 9%    1YR 223    5YR 3351    Max Repair 62 MSP
Magazine 944   

Magnetic Confinement Fusion Drive E7 (M) (7)    Power 125    Fuel Use 70%    Signature 125    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 500.000 Litres    Range 142,9 billion km   (340 days at full power)

Size 4 Missile Launcher (15)    Missile Size 4    Rate of Fire 25
Missile Fire Control FC57-R80 (2)     Range 57,9m km    Resolution 80
ASM-22 Kharak (236)  Speed: 27.500 km/s   End: 26,5m    Range: 43,7m km   WH: 16    Size: 4    TH: 146 / 88 / 44

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

The AM Escort/AS Frigate:

Starton Eridani class Missile Frigate    6.000 tons     604 Crew     1096,1 BP      TCS 120  TH 625  EM 0
5208 km/s     Armour 1-29     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 35
Maint Life 1,13 Years     MSP 114    AFR 288%    IFR 4%    1YR 91    5YR 1367    Max Repair 62 MSP
Magazine 715   

Magnetic Confinement Fusion Drive E7 (M) (5)    Power 125    Fuel Use 70%    Signature 125    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 350.000 Litres    Range 150,0 billion km   (333 days at full power)

Size 1 Missile Launcher (15)    Missile Size 1    Rate of Fire 10
Size 4 Missile Launcher (5)    Missile Size 4    Rate of Fire 25
Missile Fire Control FC57-R80 (1)     Range 57,9m km    Resolution 80
Missile Fire Control FC6-R1 (AMM) (3)     Range 6,5m km    Resolution 1
ASM-22 Kharak (100)  Speed: 27.500 km/s   End: 26,5m    Range: 43,7m km   WH: 16    Size: 4    TH: 146 / 88 / 44
AMM-67 Tanis (315)  Speed: 30.000 km/s   End: 3m    Range: 5,4m km   WH: 4    Size: 1    TH: 280 / 168 / 84

And the Sensor ship, which is basicly a big sensor array with engines:

Aquila class Command Ship    3.000 tons     267 Crew     971,9 BP      TCS 60  TH 750  EM 0
12500 km/s     Armour 1-18     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Life 2,74 Years     MSP 202    AFR 72%    IFR 1%    1YR 39    5YR 581    Max Repair 144 MSP

Magnetic Confinement Fusion Drive E7 (M) (6)    Power 125    Fuel Use 70%    Signature 125    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 650.000 Litres    Range 557,1 billion km   (515 days at full power)

Active Search Sensor MR86-R100 (1)     GPS 14400     Range 86,4m km    Resolution 100
Active Search Sensor MR5-R1 (1)     GPS 90     Range 5,4m km    Resolution 1
Active Search Sensor MR57-R80 (1)     GPS 8640     Range 58,0m km    Resolution 80
Active Search Sensor MR17-R16 (1)     GPS 1152     Range 17,3m km    Resolution 16

The Escorts won't be in the same TG as the Destroyers, for obvious reasons.

I think that these ships will be at least capable of taking down a soldier.

Tell me what you guys think.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 05:01:33 AM »
On a quick scan I caught a couple of possible problems.  On your main combatant the fire control resolution is 80.  Your anticipated target is 16.  This is going to severly reduce your ability to lock on to them and fire at them.  The same rules for seeing a ship apply to the missile fire control so your actual range is going to be around 4% of normal or 2-3 million km.  If the resolution was reduced down to 16 and you upped the size by 1 hull space you would probably get about the same max range as your current fire control but have it be effective against much smaller ships.  If you need to reduce your launchers to 12 and put in an extra fire control as well.  One thing I like to do for all missile combatants is to give them 1 fire control at resolution 1 so they can be loaded with counter missiles if needed.  This is definately under the my preference rule however and is not a problem.

The second item that caught my attention is your escort.  You left 5 size 4 launchers on it, but you have a really tiny magazine.  You are going to need a bigger magazine so I would recommend removing the size 4 launchers and replacing them with magazines and maybe with doubling the size of your antimissile fire control.  Currently your res 1 fire control will only be able to see a size 6 or smaller missile when it gets to around .7m km.  This is a little close for my tastes and at a minimum only allows for 1 counter fire from your launchers.

Brian

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 06:50:16 PM »
Yeah, you need to rework the fire controls. And keep in mind, two hits with those missiles will knock off a soldier every time, so launching more than four in a salvo is a waste of ammo. (I think there's even a slight chance of destroying one in a single hit if it knocks out the engines and they explode, but you certainly shouldn't count on that.) Consider dropping two launchers and adding a third firecon.
That R80 sensor on your command ship is pretty useless. There's little if anything it'll spot before the R100 sensor does.
Do you have any EW techs? At your current tech level you really should. ECM is not that effective against missiles, since it only reduces the maximum range of missile fire controls and is easily compensated for by making larger firecons, but it's very useful against beam weapons, since it applies a flat reduction to their hit chance (which results in an effective range loss, as well).
Your escorts actually do need to go in the same TF as your destroyers. Point defense is much more effective if the PD launcher is on top of the ship being defended, and sensors are likewise more useful there. This means, of course, that they'll need more armor. (Armor is actually useless against Star Swarm, of course, but you'll want them to be able to fight other threats effectively, as well.)
I like to add a small backup sensor to all my warships so that they're not left helpless if the sensor ship dies, but that's just personal preference.

Offline Xkill (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 07:35:03 PM »
On a quick scan I caught a couple of possible problems.  On your main combatant the fire control resolution is 80.  Your anticipated target is 16.  This is going to severly reduce your ability to lock on to them and fire at them.  The same rules for seeing a ship apply to the missile fire control so your actual range is going to be around 4% of normal or 2-3 million km.  If the resolution was reduced down to 16 and you upped the size by 1 hull space you would probably get about the same max range as your current fire control but have it be effective against much smaller ships.  If you need to reduce your launchers to 12 and put in an extra fire control as well.  One thing I like to do for all missile combatants is to give them 1 fire control at resolution 1 so they can be loaded with counter missiles if needed.  This is definately under the my preference rule however and is not a problem.

The second item that caught my attention is your escort.  You left 5 size 4 launchers on it, but you have a really tiny magazine.  You are going to need a bigger magazine so I would recommend removing the size 4 launchers and replacing them with magazines and maybe with doubling the size of your antimissile fire control.  Currently your res 1 fire control will only be able to see a size 6 or smaller missile when it gets to around .7m km.  This is a little close for my tastes and at a minimum only allows for 1 counter fire from your launchers.

Brian

Ah, moar flaws... Thanks for the Input. I redesigned the ships according to what you said, I hope it can kill.

But, I got good news (of a sort) and bad news. The good one is that I found new aliens. They are friendly, thought they are little more than cannon fodder, and their gigantic (22000 tons) ships will certainly be a good Mineral injection to the Swarm's... navy, if we can call it that.

I don't know how I did it, but I managed to put everything you said was needed; (right?) only took out one Missile Launcher, put more ammo, and the right resolution to take out the bastards.

I made the Sol Destroyer, thinking more about the Queen, I would let the frigates take out the Soldiers with the AMMs but even I had my doubts that it would work:

Sol class Missile Destroyer    9.000 tons     886 Crew     1747,4 BP      TCS 180  TH 1000  EM 0
5555 km/s     Armour 1-38     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 48
Maint Life 0,52 Years     MSP 121    AFR 648%    IFR 9%    1YR 234    5YR 3517    Max Repair 72 MSP
Magazine 1068   

Magnetic Confinement Fusion Drive E7 (M) (8)    Power 125    Fuel Use 70%    Signature 125    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 600.000 Litres    Range 171,4 billion km   (357 days at full power)

Size 4 Missile Launcher (12)    Missile Size 4    Rate of Fire 25
Missile Fire Control FC51-R16 (AFAC) (3)     Range 51,8m km    Resolution 16
Missile Fire Control FC57-R80 (3)     Range 57,9m km    Resolution 80
ASM-22 Kharak (267)  Speed: 27.500 km/s   End: 26,5m    Range: 43,7m km   WH: 16    Size: 4    TH: 146 / 88 / 44

Starton Eridani class Escort Frigate    6.000 tons     462 Crew     1281,6 BP      TCS 120  TH 625  EM 0
5208 km/s     Armour 1-29     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 15
Maint Life 0,86 Years     MSP 134    AFR 288%    IFR 4%    1YR 156    5YR 2338    Max Repair 72 MSP
Magazine 899   

Magnetic Confinement Fusion Drive E7 (M) (5)    Power 125    Fuel Use 70%    Signature 125    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 400.000 Litres    Range 171,4 billion km   (380 days at full power)

Size 1 Missile Launcher (15)    Missile Size 1    Rate of Fire 10
Missile Fire Control FC12-R1 (AMM) (3)     Range 13,0m km    Resolution 1
Missile Fire Control FC51-R16 (AFAC) (3)     Range 51,8m km    Resolution 16
AMM-67 Tanis (899)  Speed: 30.000 km/s   End: 3m    Range: 5,4m km   WH: 4    Size: 1    TH: 280 / 168 / 84

So... better?

Yeah, you need to rework the fire controls. And keep in mind, two hits with those missiles will knock off a soldier every time, so launching more than four in a salvo is a waste of ammo. (I think there's even a slight chance of destroying one in a single hit if it knocks out the engines and they explode, but you certainly shouldn't count on that.) Consider dropping two launchers and adding a third firecon.
That R80 sensor on your command ship is pretty useless. There's little if anything it'll spot before the R100 sensor does.
Do you have any EW techs? At your current tech level you really should. ECM is not that effective against missiles, since it only reduces the maximum range of missile fire controls and is easily compensated for by making larger firecons, but it's very useful against beam weapons, since it applies a flat reduction to their hit chance (which results in an effective range loss, as well).
Your escorts actually do need to go in the same TF as your destroyers. Point defense is much more effective if the PD launcher is on top of the ship being defended, and sensors are likewise more useful there. This means, of course, that they'll need more armor. (Armor is actually useless against Star Swarm, of course, but you'll want them to be able to fight other threats effectively, as well.)
I like to add a small backup sensor to all my warships so that they're not left helpless if the sensor ship dies, but that's just personal preference.

Really? Two missiles? Just that? But, well, I have to take out the queen too, and I'm pretty sure that she will get me some pretty hefty research bonuses. No EW tech, I rushed everything I could in Missile, Research Improvement, Sensor and Propulsion techs so I don't really have it now.

The Escorts wouldn't go with the Destroyers because of the Speed differences, but now that I took care of it (sorta) they will be on the same TG. And I can't really put more Armor on my ships without further research, one singe level of armor on the Destroyer added like 300 tons to the ship's mass; When I got it back to level 1, I saved like, 900-1000 tons of mass.

I don't know it helps but the Meson Cannons of the Soldiers only reach like 60000 km. I guess that if I had ECM level 3 it would be down to 15-30k right?

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 08:15:59 PM »
honestly if you are fighting swarm you don't need armor anyway, since all their weapons ignore it anyway.