Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 263766 times)

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #1575 on: November 22, 2016, 02:08:16 AM »
@smoelf I like your system names, have visited several of them. In my game I have played a few more years than you but explored much more. Have you been cautious or have I been too aggressive? But it took me a long time before I met anyone so that could be the difference.

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #1576 on: November 22, 2016, 02:30:19 AM »
@smoelf I like your system names, have visited several of them. In my game I have played a few more years than you but explored much more. Have you been cautious or have I been too aggressive? But it took me a long time before I met anyone so that could be the difference.

Nice :)

Yeah, I have been rather cautious. I burned my hands in the last couple of games by expanding carelessly, so this time I'm taking it a bit slow, trying to control my areas better. For example, I will only build jump gates to systems that are secure, in that there are no confirmed alien presence in the systems neighboring it and I have already established a colonial presence. But a reason for the slow expansion is also that I was trying to figure out how to do survey carriers. This halted the development and production of geo and grav survey vessels while I was trying to figure that out, and thus the exploration slowed down, but now I finally have a grav and a geo survey carrier up and running, so now it'll really take off :)

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #1577 on: November 23, 2016, 12:25:10 PM »
So it turns out that "making a huge mothership and loading it up with cargo and people to simulate some kind of Homeworldesque diaspora" dont work so well with spoilers on ...
First system i jump into ( from the starting point in "hyperspace aka empty system with 2 JP's " ) has three terrestrial planets with every mineral counted in milions and easily terraformable planets. So naturally 5 years after unloading my 50m colonists, stable wormhole appears...
I load my people, mines and CF plus some labs and haul ass... only to get jumped by Precursors in the next system ... They fired some missiles at my ship but due to my 100x 1st gen CIWS they managed to just scratch my paint ( 30 rows of armour on 30mil ton ship is quite durable :D ) and then they proceed to ram it, destroying themselves and 9 terraform modules.
Knowing my luck, third system will containt Swarm or hostile NPR .. :/
EDIT : Nope, another wormhole ... Time to turn the spoilers off.

My mothership design if anyone is interested :
Code: [Select]
Ark class Mothership    30 276 650 tons     146205 Crew     1370598 BP      TCS 605533  TH 62500  EM 0
103 km/s     Armour 30-8653     Shields 0-0     Sensors 250/250/5/5     Damage Control Rating 10000     PPV 0
Maint Life 0.11 Years     MSP 282936    AFR 733330%    IFR 10185.1%    1YR 2493291    5YR 37399362    Max Repair 500 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 999 months    Spare Berths 1001   
Cargo 5000000    Cryogenic Berths 50000000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 1000   
Fuel Harvester: 300 modules producing 12000000 litres per annum
Terraformer: 100 module(s) producing 0.1 atm per annum
Asteroid Miner: 300 module(s) producing 3600 tons per mineral per annum

125 EP Commercial Nuclear Thermal Engine (500)    Power 125    Fuel Use 8.84%    Signature 125    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 2 100 000 000 Litres    Range 140.9 billion km   (15837 days at full power)

CIWS-50 (100x2)    Range 1000 km     TS: 5000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Active Search Sensor MR111-R20 (2)     GPS 10000     Range 111.8m km    Resolution 20
Active Search Sensor MR250-R100 (2)     GPS 50000     Range 250.0m km    Resolution 100
Active Search Sensor MR25-R1 (2)     GPS 500     Range 25.0m km    MCR 2.7m km    Resolution 1
Active Search Sensor MR353-R200 (2)     GPS 100000     Range 353.6m km    Resolution 200
Active Search Sensor MR559-R500 (2)     GPS 250000     Range 559.0m km    Resolution 500
Active Search Sensor MR55-R5 (2)     GPS 2500     Range 55.9m km    Resolution 5
Thermal Sensor TH50-250 (2)     Sensitivity 250     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  250m km
EM Detection Sensor EM50-250 (2)     Sensitivity 250     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  250m km
Gravitational Survey Sensors (5)   5 Survey Points Per Hour
Geological Survey Sensors (5)   5 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 12:33:15 PM by Lossmar »
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline baconholic

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • b
« Reply #1578 on: November 24, 2016, 12:10:12 PM »
]Ark class Mothership    30 276 650 tons     146205 Crew     1370598 BP ...

That's 571 research labs worth of BP! Did you build it in a shipyard? How long did it take you to build that monstrosity?

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #1579 on: November 24, 2016, 12:21:30 PM »
That's 571 research labs worth of BP! Did you build it in a shipyard? How long did it take you to build that monstrosity?
Nah, of course i SM'ed it in. :) Funny thing is - its build time isn't that long, it was something around 1.5 year ;)
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #1580 on: November 29, 2016, 05:10:38 PM »
Just found a binary system with each star having 2 almost perfect planets to colonize relatively close to Sol. I guess I found Terra Nov... "New Alien Class", "New Alien Ship", "New Hostile Contact". *sigh* I guess I have to launch a crusade or something. Some good news; The next batch of first gen ships has finished constructing, giving me a few dozen warships fully stocked and ready for war. And a batch of next-gen warships are almost off of the drawing board and ready for the shipyards.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 05:13:58 PM by 83athom »
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #1581 on: November 30, 2016, 09:47:21 AM »
I have somewhat a conflict of interests. Do I A) Launch a Crusade now (within a month) or B) Wait 10 to 14 months for my support ships (fuel, msp) to finish constructing.

A requires a successful victory against an unknown enemy strength at a not precisely determined location in order to gain enough fuel to continue the crusade. I also have 3 large troop transports that I will take along for a planetary assault, and they could sacrifice their fuel for the warships.

B delays the invasion by a year, letting the enemy build more strength or launch an assault on me, but lets my ships have more supply to hit a multitude of systems beyond the target.

*Reference map* The two target systems are 61 Cygni and Gliese 87 (the distance between those two is 13.5).The warfleet can make 20 units with their internal fuel, but the support ships potentially increase that range to hundreds of units. There may be more hostile colonies beyond the unexplored warp points at HIP 8051, but the warplanners say those may wait until a detailed scouting is done.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #1582 on: November 30, 2016, 10:08:06 AM »
I have somewhat a conflict of interests. Do I A) Launch a Crusade now (within a month) or B) Wait 10 to 14 months for my support ships (fuel, msp) to finish constructing.

A requires a successful victory against an unknown enemy strength at a not precisely determined location in order to gain enough fuel to continue the crusade. I also have 3 large troop transports that I will take along for a planetary assault, and they could sacrifice their fuel for the warships.

B delays the invasion by a year, letting the enemy build more strength or launch an assault on me, but lets my ships have more supply to hit a multitude of systems beyond the target.

*Reference map* The two target systems are 61 Cygni and Gliese 87 (the distance between those two is 13.5).The warfleet can make 20 units with their internal fuel, but the support ships potentially increase that range to hundreds of units. There may be more hostile colonies beyond the unexplored warp points at HIP 8051, but the warplanners say those may wait until a detailed scouting is done.

In your position, I would probably wait. It is true that a rapid strike MAY be effective. If it is not, however, that could be a very bad development for you. Lack of information is, in my opinion, a deal stopper most of the times. Sure, if it was a desperate situation, as in "if we do not attack they will and destroy earth", it would be one thing. But here it is entirely possible that the aliens will just peacefully stay within their borders while you prepare for war.

In my opinion, there is no reason to risk so much by rushing things. At least try to get some more intel on the aliens before. Also, I usually RP and I can't think of a rational, spacefaring civilization that would try such a risky, blind strike when not absolutely necessary :)

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #1583 on: November 30, 2016, 11:12:04 AM »
In your position, I would probably wait. It is true that a rapid strike MAY be effective. If it is not, however, that could be a very bad development for you. Lack of information is, in my opinion, a deal stopper most of the times. Sure, if it was a desperate situation, as in "if we do not attack they will and destroy earth", it would be one thing. But here it is entirely possible that the aliens will just peacefully stay within their borders while you prepare for war.

In my opinion, there is no reason to risk so much by rushing things. At least try to get some more intel on the aliens before. Also, I usually RP and I can't think of a rational, spacefaring civilization that would try such a risky, blind strike when not absolutely necessary :)
That is a somewhat boring approach, where's your sense of adventure! On your RP point I would suggest that the early (brave/suicidal) strike would be a rather Klingon move...

I agree though that the lack of intel is more worrying than the lack of support.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #1584 on: November 30, 2016, 11:41:11 AM »
In my opinion, there is no reason to risk so much by rushing things. At least try to get some more intel on the aliens before. Also, I usually RP and I can't think of a rational, spacefaring civilization that would try such a risky, blind strike when not absolutely necessary
My race generation gave me high xenophobia, militancy, and expansionism.

A few months later, the scout in 61 Cygni has reported 2 populations and 8 PDCs of 30k tons. The warplanners have come to a final decision. We launch most of the warfleet, plus a transport, on 61 Cygni. Durring the strike, the support ships and the last of the gen-1 ships will roll off the line and will rendezvous with the warfleet at HIP 8051 to refuel. They will all then push into Gliese 87 and search the system for any populations, and conquer them.

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #1585 on: December 06, 2016, 08:34:32 AM »
Being attacked in SOL system, my AMM is not working in autofire, we have switched to manually fire.... Several hits on 3 different enemy missiles... Non destroyed... They seem to have some kind of armoured missiles Never had this one before, got a real scare when several of my frigates exploded... Fun :-)
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #1586 on: December 06, 2016, 10:12:55 AM »
Being attacked in SOL system, my AMM is not working in autofire, we have switched to manually fire.... Several hits on 3 different enemy missiles... Non destroyed... They seem to have some kind of armoured missiles Never had this one before, got a real scare when several of my frigates exploded... Fun :-)
Making huge, armored, long range torpedoes/MIRVs with heavy thermal reduction is always fun.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #1587 on: December 06, 2016, 10:21:56 AM »
An update on events in the Empire. The task force dispatched to 61 Cygni has intercepted several commercial grade ships en-route and destroyed them. It turns out those previously detected "PDCs" were actually missile ships, armed with meson defense weaponry, and only light armor. After a few missiles were shot to clear the ground troops on the surface, they surrendered. The troop trasport has been redirected toward the other population in the system and the taskforce is only a week out.

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #1588 on: December 06, 2016, 03:21:38 PM »
So, even though my previous game was doing pretty good I started a new one. I have been using mostly the same strategies and tactics for the last games, so I wanted to try something new.

This time I started in a non-sol system with unreal stars and a methane-breathing race :) The bulk of their fleet will consist of beam-FAC's and multi-stage missiles to deliver multiple high-damaging fast missiles at long range, but the most interesting part is going to be the biological warfare in the form of a giant terra forming fleet pumping methane into the atmosphere of oxygen breathers. This is gonna be interesting :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 11:05:40 AM by smoelf »

Offline ryuga81

• Chief Petty Officer
  • r
« Reply #1589 on: December 07, 2016, 10:50:43 AM »
Spoiler race obliterated two destroyer task groups in allied NPR home system, on top of an allied planet with defenses, and a small allied fleet. Ally didn't fire a single round to help and didn't appear to care about what happened.

A massive outcry in public opinion and part of military establishment is forcing the government's hand, a massive expedition is being prepared to get rid of both spoiler race and useless ally. The High Council requested the invasion to happen with minimum bloodshed, so indiscriminate bombardment and use of missiles against populated planets is to be avoided at all costs. This adds even more headaches to the already complex task of staging a massive invasion on an alien homeworld, the High Command is worried that Earth does not possess enough offensive capability, both in space and on ground.