Author Topic: Low Tech Races  (Read 2491 times)

Offline SteveAlt (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Low Tech Races
« on: September 10, 2008, 10:46:30 AM »
For v3.2, I have added low-tech Empires, which are Empires that have modern levels of industry but do not yet have Trans-Newtonian technology. These can be generated manually and will also comprise approximately one third of game-generated Empires. I have increased the default chance of race generation from 20-30 percent to maintain a similar number of high tech races but this can be changed on the Game window.

The low tech Empires have a new installation called Conventional Industry. Each unit of Conventional Industry requires 50,000 pop (the same as a construction factory) and acts simultaneously as 10% of a construction factory, 10% of a mine and 5% of a fuel refinery. In other words, if you had 1000 Conventional Industry they would produce the same as 100 construction factories, 100 mines and 50 fuel refineries.

The number of Conventional Industry given to a race is equal to the total number of construction factories and mines that the race would have received if it was high tech. So if a race would have received 500 construction factories and 400 mines if it had been high tech, it will instead receive 900 Conventional Industry.

Before Trans-Newtonian Technology (TNT) is developed, Conventional Industry can only build Naval Academies, Infrastructure, Spaceports, Commercial Freight Facilities and Financial Centres. After TNT is researched (1000 RP), they can build anything that a construction factory could build. There are also two new tasks available. Convert Conventional Industry to Construction Factory and Convert Conventional Industry to Mine. Each of these tasks requires 20 BP and uses 20 Duranium.

A low-tech race does not start with any mineral or fuel stockpiles so these have to be generated from scratch. Obviously there is no existing survey data except for the geo survey of the homeworld. There is no starting pool of research points and no build points available for ships or PDCs.

However, in addition to Conventional Industry, a low tech race receives:
25% of the research facilities that it would receive if it was a high tech race.
1x Shipyard of 1000 ton capacity with a single slipway.
1x Deep Space Tracking Station.
1x Naval Academy
1x Commercial Freight Facility
5x Maintenance Facility

This above represents the race's combined conventional capability in terms of research, shipbuilding, sensors, maintenance, etc. For example, the single shipyard would represent the existing capability of the United States to build space shuttles, the new Orion spacecraft, etc.. I considered not having any of the above but I decided that some of the existing capability of a low-tech Empire would be useful and this was a reasonable way to simulate it. Also, without some of the bigger ticket items above, it would take much longer for a low-tech Empire to get into space which would adversely affect gameplay.

The low-tech race begins with virtually no tech, except for crew quarters, fuel storage, bridge, etc. The first tech that will need to be researched is Trans-Newtonian Technology, which costs 1000 RP and opens up most of the tech tree. Most of the usual starting tech will be absent so for lasers you would need to research Infrared, 10cm focal size, etc. Active sensors won't be available until you research the first strength level.

Some very basic tech is available such as all missile launcher sizes and a missile reload rate 1 so you could build a very primitive missile launcher. However, you won't have anything to launch because you will still need to research a missile engine, which in turn will require nuclear thermal engine tech, which you can't research until you research TNT. I am considering adding a very primitive pre-TNT version of some systems, such as a very slow engine or a much lower level of active sensor tech so you can build a pre-TNT spacecraft. However for that I would need to get into newtonian engines and movement, which is a major can of worms.

Low tech races receive ground units to at least give them a chance against an invasion. These are split between Low Tech Armour and Low Tech Infantry divisions. Both have 25% of the strength of Mobile Infantry and Heavy Assault divisions respectively and cost 50% of their HT equivalents.

While playtesting this I ran into another problem. The homeworld started suffering unrest due to lack of protection and I couldn't build protection as I didn't have any TNT. Therefore I have decided that the capital of an Empire will not suffer unrest due to lack of protection. The oriiginal idea of the required protection rule was to ensure players provided a realistic level of protection for their larger colonies or those colonies would break away. Protection of the homeworld or capital should be in the interest of the player anyway. Besides, It also prevents new players from falling into the regular trap of not providing protection for the capital early in the game. Although not related to low tech races, I have also added a series of events showing when colonies are suffering unrest and the reasons behind that unrest.

This new dimension to the game will allow players to start an Empire from the very early stages of space exploration, using perhaps a race or Empire similar to modern-day Earth. It will also allow an Earth-based campaign where you may have perhaps 1-3 high tech Empires and several lower tech Empires trying to catch up. One of the problems I find with Earth-based campaigns is trying to fit the less-industrialised nations into a major power bloc so that I can account for all the Earth's population. With the option for low-tech Empires, you could run (for example) a USA vs China campaign and setup other countries or regions as (comparatively) low tech races that will be very easy to manage. Or set everyone up as low tech and give TNT to just one or two to give them a head start.

This also provides the possibility of encountering low-tech races when exploring, giving you a relatively easy conquest (as per the Khanate or Orion), an opportunity to establish a new ally and help them increase their tech (Uplift ) or adopt a protecterate approach.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by SteveAlt »

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 08:44:37 PM »
Cool!!!  I've wanted to play out the transition to TNT from very early on.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sloanjh »

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 12:31:47 AM »
Awesome idea,Steve.Good work *_^
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by waresky »

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 06:24:38 AM »
I'd been wondering which came first, the mine or the construction factory.  You can't build a factory without duranium, but you can't have duranium without a mine!  Conventional Industry bridges the gap nicely.  I presume it costs no TNT elements to build, only money?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by James Patten »

Offline Laurence

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • L
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 05:16:42 PM »
This great Steve, I've been hoping for some low-tech stuff.  I hope you do add an option for low-tech missiles, I'd like to see some ICBM type stuff for playing around with a multi-low tech planet (like Earth).  It would be fun for the a space empire to establish good relations with one and not the others (and all the interesting things that can come from that).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Laurence »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 05:50:36 AM »
Quote from: "James Patten"
I'd been wondering which came first, the mine or the construction factory.  You can't build a factory without duranium, but you can't have duranium without a mine!  Conventional Industry bridges the gap nicely.  I presume it costs no TNT elements to build, only money?

You can't build conventional industry, only convert it. The reason is that its fairly cheap to convert conventional industry to mines and factories so allowing you to build conventional industry with no TNT elements would indirectly create a cheap way to get mines and factories. The low cost of converting is to allow conversion of an Empires industry in a reasonable amount of time. For example, 1000 conventional industry will provide 1000 BP per year, which is enough to convert 50 CI to construction factories. The next year (assuming 10 BP per factory), the CI+CF will produce 1450 BP, allowing the conversion of 72 more CI to CF, etc.

If I did create a non-TNT cost to build conventional industry it would have to be very high for game balance purposes and very inefficient vs building construction factories and mines. I guess the assumption could be that conventional industry has taken a long time to reach its current state and therefore building more would have a high cost and a long build time.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 05:57:25 PM »
A few additions for low tech races. They use conventional armour, which is less capable than basic Duranium armour. It is cost 2 and strength 2 compared to cost 5 and strength 5 for Duranium. I have created ICBM silos, which can launch size 24 missiles and can only be mounted in PDCs, the Conventional ICBM, which has a range of 50k km and a speed of 10 km/s, and the ICBM Launch Control System, which is a basic, short ranged fire control that is bulky and costly for its limited capability. All pre-TNT races get these systems automatically but they don't appear for high tech races.

I have used these systems to create the Missile Complex, a conventional technology PDC class that is given to every pre-TNT race. The missile complexes can get detection information from the tracking stations given to all pre-TNT races.

Code: [Select]
Missile Complex class ICBM Launch Base    13900 tons     212 Crew     366.4 BP      TCS 278  TH 0  EM 0
Armour 1-51     Sensors 1/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 240
Magazine 240    

ICBM Silo (10)    Missile Size 24    Rate of Fire 43200
ICBM Launch Control (1)     Range 50k km    Resolution 50
Conventional ICBM (10)  Speed: 10 km/s   End: 15 minutes    Range: 0.1m km   Warhead: 6    MR: 10    Size: 24

You can use fast OB creation to add these to pre-TNT races, or I might add them automatically anyway. Pre-TNT PDCs do not benefit from the +8 armour bonus of normal PDCs so they are vulnerable to attack.

You can't build these with construction factories though, mainly because all construction is based on the amount of TN materials used (and these don't use any). In any event, resources would be far better devoted to converting conventional factories and by the time they are converted, these PDCs will be obsolete anyway so in practical terms it make little difference.

The problem I now need to tackle is how to make ICBMs take 15-20 minutes to reach a target that is 0 km away in game terms because it is on the same planet :)

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 06:27:55 PM »
I have created a time delay option for missiles and set the Conventional ICBM for 15 minutes. This means that after launch it will remain in place (in orbit) until the time runs out, at which point it will proceed to the target. As this is almost certainly going to be a population on the same planet or spacecraft in orbit (ICBMs shooting at alien visitor :)) at a range of 0 km the attack will be instant once the time runs out. With the delay, the target is going to have plenty of time to see the missiles coming, although another low-tech race may not be able to do much except retaliate.

Steve

Offline jfelten

• Lieutenant
  • j
Re: Low Tech Races
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 06:55:45 AM »
I encountered a pre TN NPR in the test game I'm running and decided to enjoy trying to get them advanced to a starfaring race.  One hurdle I ran in to was some of the needed minerals are in small quantities at 0.1 mining efficiency on their HW which is really holding back progress.  Especially since they decided to concentrate on trying to build some missile bases due to the perceived threat of the TN aliens that visited them.  There are better sources of those scarce minerals relatively nearby in their home system but they can't get to them until they develop all the parts needed to build TN ships.  They can't even get to their own moon!  I kind of like the idea that Steve mentions of giving the pre TN a weak engine of some sort.  I understand the game system doesn't support reaction drives, but perhaps as soon as TNT is researched there could be a very cheap (say 50-100 RP) early engine they could research.  I suggest cheap since in this example the NPR only generates 400 RP / year and the minerals needed to build a 3rd research center are only a dream for them at this point.  With an early engine they would have everything needed to build a slow freighter to get to nearby planets in their home system.  They still have the problem though of either developing automated mines or moving colonists so they could mine those minerals.  That led to another thought.  Virgin worlds/moons probably have some quantity of minerals just laying on the surface like early humans exploited on the Earth.  Perhaps a Geology team could search for such no mining required minerals and if successful find a small amount (couple hundred tons maybe), or perhaps when a planet/moon/asteroid/comet/etc. is found with minerals potential, it could start with a small quantity of those minerals pre-mined.  This would also give people a reason to put some cargo holds on their geologic exploration ships, or follow them with freighters to pick up the "free" minerals.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 11:59:39 AM »
Quote from: "jfelten"
I encountered a pre TN NPR in the test game I'm running and decided to enjoy trying to get them advanced to a starfaring race.  One hurdle I ran in to was some of the needed minerals are in small quantities at 0.1 mining efficiency on their HW which is really holding back progress.  Especially since they decided to concentrate on trying to build some missile bases due to the perceived threat of the TN aliens that visited them.  There are better sources of those scarce minerals relatively nearby in their home system but they can't get to them until they develop all the parts needed to build TN ships.  They can't even get to their own moon!  I kind of like the idea that Steve mentions of giving the pre TN a weak engine of some sort.  I understand the game system doesn't support reaction drives, but perhaps as soon as TNT is researched there could be a very cheap (say 50-100 RP) early engine they could research.  I suggest cheap since in this example the NPR only generates 400 RP / year and the minerals needed to build a 3rd research center are only a dream for them at this point.  With an early engine they would have everything needed to build a slow freighter to get to nearby planets in their home system.  They still have the problem though of either developing automated mines or moving colonists so they could mine those minerals.  That led to another thought.  Virgin worlds/moons probably have some quantity of minerals just laying on the surface like early humans exploited on the Earth.  Perhaps a Geology team could search for such no mining required minerals and if successful find a small amount (couple hundred tons maybe), or perhaps when a planet/moon/asteroid/comet/etc. is found with minerals potential, it could start with a small quantity of those minerals pre-mined.  This would also give people a reason to put some cargo holds on their geologic exploration ships, or follow them with freighters to pick up the "free" minerals.
I like the idea of Geology teams finding immediately available minerals, although as you say in small quantities. Coding available minerals on the surface is much harder because mined minerals are held by a population, not a planet, so you would need a pop before you could have mineral stockpiles. Geology teams require a pop which removes that problem.

I have added a new engine technology, the Conventional Drive, which has 1/25th the power of a nuclear thermal engine and is given to preTNT Empires at game start. Assuming no Power vs Efficiency tech, each Conventional engine will produce 1 point of engine power. This could be used to create the following ship, which uses conventional armour and has no cargo handling system (as that is TN tech). The ship has a speed of about 100,000 mph, which is better than conventional rockets but perhaps could be thought of as a very early TNT prototype created as part of the jump point theory research. The only 'realism' drawback here is that it still uses TN movement rules but I really don't want to get into newtonian movement (at least not for a long while).

Pre-TNT Cargo Ship class Freighter    4300 tons     148 Crew     138.6 BP      TCS 86  TH 4  EM 0
46 km/s     Armour 1-23     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 147%    IFR: 2.1%    Maintenance Capacity 20 MSP    Max Repair 5 MSP
Cargo 25000    

Conventional Drive  (4)    Power 1    Efficiency 1.00    Signature 1    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 20.7 billion km   (5208 days at full power)
This second ship has no cargo carrying ability but could be used to transport teams - perhaps geology teams could serve as survey ships for planets without a survey, which would enable pre-TNT empires to survey their own system, albeit slowly.

Shuttle class Survey Ship    550 tons     43 Crew     46 BP      TCS 11  TH 1  EM 0
90 km/s     Armour 1-5     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 2%    IFR: 0%    Maintenance Capacity 52 MSP    Max Repair 5 MSP

Conventional Drive  (1)    Power 1    Efficiency 1.00    Signature 1    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 162.0 billion km   (20833 days at full power)
Steve

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 12:53:27 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
I have added a new engine technology, the Conventional Drive, which has 1/25th the power of a nuclear thermal engine and is given to preTNT Empires at game start. Assuming no Power vs Efficiency tech, each Conventional engine will produce 1 point of engine power. This could be used to create the following ship, which uses conventional armour and has no cargo handling system (as that is TN tech). The ship has a speed of about 100,000 mph, which is better than conventional rockets but perhaps could be thought of as a very early TNT prototype created as part of the jump point theory research. The only 'realism' drawback here is that it still uses TN movement rules but I really don't want to get into newtonian movement (at least not for a long while).
Steve

I wonder how hard "realistic" movement would be.  After all, the calculation for constant acceleration isn't that hard, I used to do it by hand on paper when I was in high school and interested in those things.  All movement in Aurora is point to point, whether from planet to planet, or planet to waypoint.  The calculation would be steady acceleration for half the trip, with steady deceleration for the second half.  The speed displayed at any given time would be the speed at that the start (or end) of the time period.

Hmmm...I guess as usual the devil is in the details.  After all, the calculation becomes much more complicated when you factor in present motion, desired ending motion, course deviation, and gravity effects.  

Kurt

Offline jfelten

• Lieutenant
  • j
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 08:45:15 AM »
I have added a new engine technology, the Conventional Drive, which has 1/25th the power of a nuclear thermal engine and is given to preTNT Empires at game start. Assuming no Power vs Efficiency tech, each Conventional engine will produce 1 point of engine power.
Cool

perhaps geology teams could serve as survey ships for planets without a survey, which would enable pre-TNT empires to survey their own system, albeit slowly.
That makes a tremendous amount of sense if you can find an easy way to add it.