Author Topic: Help me fix my database  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Theodidactus (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
Help me fix my database
« on: October 04, 2012, 06:35:30 PM »
An event out of my control crashed my computer a few nights ago, while aurora was in the middle of advancing time by 30 days.

Now, when i advance time, I get a huge cascade of errors associated with populating move orders and task force information.

I believe all these errors are emanating from one single task group "project altair", which was in the middle of a list of moves when the computer crashed. I have already destroyed all the ships in this task group, but the errors persist, and I imagine they will do so as long as the task group continues to exist.

I can't actually load the task group on the task group screen, doing so exposes me to an endless barrage of error 91's (can't populate move orders). I imagine if I can find some other way to delete this group, the problems will go away. Can anyone think of a creative way to fix this without cracking open the database?

Barring any new ideas...how do I crack open the database?
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Steven Kodaly

• Leading Rate
Re: Help me fix my database
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 01:17:01 PM »
Quote from: Theodidactus
Barring any new ideas...how do I crack open the database?

I would suggest asking Mr. Walmsley directly if he would be so kind as to look at a copy of your database, and modify as necessary.
Charming, to the last.

Offline Turmoil

• Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 11:11:00 AM »
I second the notion on asking Steve (Walmsley) to create a fix. The main reason being that the database is so tightly interlinked, altering one entry in one sheet affects about 2/3rds of the other sheets. I'm working on a tech tree based off of the database and actually had to create multiple copies to experiment with to test all the relationships for technology.

However, if you know what you are doing, just do a web search. You'll find resources on getting database access pretty quickly. Just remember not to share any information about the database or its internals, that is classified ;)

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 01:07:56 PM »
You have two options 1) Ask Steve for the database password or 2) ask someone that has been entrusted with the password to look at your database.

Cracking the database password is "frowned" upon. 

Yes I do have the password.  But I don't work on databases for others for various reasons.  Among them I don't have the freetime to make a timely turnaround.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Karmag

• Leading Rate
  • K
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 06:06:53 PM »
As a somewhat-related, late question: How do I delete the database?

Background:
One of my games got a corrupted database, and now when I try to create a new game, that game is born corrupted as well.  I've deleted everything aurora-related off my hard drive, then re-installed, and yet the Aurora launcher still presents the same list of (corrupted) games.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 08:31:18 PM »
As a somewhat-related, late question: How do I delete the database?

Background:
One of my games got a corrupted database, and now when I try to create a new game, that game is born corrupted as well.  I've deleted everything aurora-related off my hard drive, then re-installed, and yet the Aurora launcher still presents the same list of (corrupted) games.
If you have installed Aurora in the program folder of windows xp or newer there can be problems.  Go into the actual folder, delete stevefire.mdb, empty the recycle bin and then copy in a fresh version.  You might want to download the latest patch if you havn't already and update to that.  If you already have updated to it then just copy and paste from the zip file.  That should get rid of the old database and replace it with a new one.

You could also try deleting each individual game on the current database but I woudn't hold out much hope for that working.

Brian

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 05:52:28 PM »
if you have installed into Program Files under Windows 7, look in your users directory/AppData/Local/VirtualStore/ for a virtualized version of your database. this may be what's persisting.

note:AppData is a hidden folder