Author Topic: Adding new ship names  (Read 2312 times)

Offline 83athom (OP)

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Adding new ship names
« on: December 08, 2014, 08:35:15 AM »
Hello there, I am wondering how exactly to add new ship names with a step by step explanation. I know that your supposed to add a file called <InsertShipType>.txt (InserShipType being anything) in the install directory with one ship name per line (with no special characters) but I cannot quite get it right. The most helpful post I found was on Create New class and ship name by Bartimeus in mid 2011 (but still didn't explain it enough). I am a computer noob and I was surprised I got Aurora to install at all a year and a half ago. So could someone give a tutorial on how to do it (short as possible while still explaining where things go) not just for me but any other Aurora/Computer Newb that would need/want it.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
Re: Adding new ship names
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 05:12:24 PM »
Are you using the option under the "game" heading from the main window? Normally you just do the following.

1. Create a text file in your main Aurora install directory called "ShipNames.txt"
2. The file has to be made so you use one line for each name (I do not know about special characters)
3. From the main game window (the first bar that appears after selecting a game), go to game then "add ship names"

Offline 83athom (OP)

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 05:45:36 PM »
I know about that, but I was asking in what format should the document be, how the Name turns out (the ShipName part) (ie does BoltekCruisers come out as Boltek Cruisers or BoltekCruisers, and if the latter do I add an _ to the name to make a space), does the document title need to include the .txt or do you just use a plain text document, do you save the document in (because it will not let me create a document right into the folder) or are you supposed to unzip it into the program files (this is where I am guessing it is supposed to go), ect.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline 83athom (OP)

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 08:50:42 PM »
I still cant figure it out. I tried doing it just as stated but I only get 2 424 errors then a 3315 error repeating infinitely.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 12:57:57 AM »
I still cant figure it out. I tried doing it just as stated but I only get 2 424 errors then a 3315 error repeating infinitely.
Put the file in the directory you're running Aurora from, the same folder Aurore.exe is in. That folder shouldn't be zipped or otherwise compressed. If you want a space in a name just put a space in it.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Ostia

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • O
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 08:15:06 AM »
I tried it out and got the same error. I filled a bug report in the 6.4 bug thread

Offline 83athom (OP)

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 01:56:42 PM »
Put the file in the directory you're running Aurora from, the same folder Aurore.exe is in. That folder shouldn't be zipped or otherwise compressed. If you want a space in a name just put a space in it.
It will not let me add files to that folder, and it will not let me move folders to it, it says "you do not have permission to add to this folder. Request permission from your administrator." And it gives me the option of not saving or save in the download folder. Which is weird since I am the computer's admin. And I do not have Aurora.exe, I have Aurora, Aurora_Wrapper, and Aurora_Wrapper.exe.manifest.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 06:49:32 PM »
Are you running it under Program Files? Because then Windows is protecting the folder.

Offline 83athom (OP)

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 10:23:56 PM »
Are you running it under Program Files? Because then Windows is protecting the folder.
We already finished with this, half this topic was deleted. Yes I was using Program Files and I found a way to "cheat" my way into it. It popped up errors when I added the names, selected the names, and when the ships were built, but other than that it worked fine.