Author Topic: Are you serious?  (Read 2398 times)

Offline Judicator (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • J
Are you serious?
« on: May 01, 2010, 08:03:36 PM »
It's three years into my brand spanking new game. A stable wormhole opens up directly in Mars' orbit perfectly. Out pop several Beirut class alien ships capable of a moronically high speed of 8000km/s.

Really? Only three years into the game and the aliens are already sporting ships at 8K per second? They also had a thermal signature of 960.

If this seems a bit silly for a topic, well this is my first ever contact with other aliens. And also, I lost their signatures.

Update: Strength 10 shields. AND THEY'RE MOVING AT TEN THOUSAND KILOMETERS PER SECOND!

Game over: They came in and bombarded us to hell. The game barely begun and they opened up a stable wormhole early on in the game, came in with a fleet, and bombarded us for no good reason. This is on normal difficulty. I don't know what to think of this besides being chump changed by the game on a MASSIVE level.

I have no clue if it was an NPR or if it was something else completely. If it WAS an NPR, I would have to say that was incredibly cheap and unfair, being able to pull off such feats only a few years into the game. BAH!

New Game Edit: Holy crap. I was transporting infrastructure to mars for the very first time, and for some extremely bizarre reason, civilians have set up a mining colony on a surveyed asteroid that I didn't even make a colony or anything on. I am currently loading a mass driver to that locale. But um, civilian mining colonies...how exactly can I interact with these industrious little guys? HAHAHA! Now a new shipping line has been made and one of the companies already launched a newly designed colony ship! Holy Cow! This game is getting really interesting! But I am still stuck with 20 labs, expanding to 25

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Are you serious?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 09:14:49 PM »
The aliens are new.  If you do not want them attacking you then turn off precursors.  Also they only show up in surveyed systems.  If there are no npr's to start with then only your systems are eligible.

The civilian mining colony (CMC) establish themselves without you doing anything.  You have the choice of either letting the mined minerals go to the civilian economy (effectivly lost) or buying them for your use.  If the civilian use them then you get a cash payment that is half what it would take to buy them.  You can make the choice on the Pop & Production (F2) screen.  There is a tab for civilian related stuff.  If you buy the output of the cmc it does have it's own mass driver so all you will need is one on the receiving end and they can start shipping to you.

Hope this helps

Brian

Offline Judicator (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 10:31:35 PM »
So how do I know definitively that they were precursors? I never once surveyed for jump points and I had definitely created at least one NPR to start with.

I thought precursors stayed near their guarded areas, attacking only when approached, etc? Or are there roaming precursors out there as well?

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 03:30:30 AM »
Quote from: "Judicator"
So how do I know definitively that they were precursors? I never once surveyed for jump points and I had definitely created at least one NPR to start with.

I thought precursors stayed near their guarded areas, attacking only when approached, etc? Or are there roaming precursors out there as well?
In previous versions of the game they did.  The precursors you encountered are a new twist that Steve added to 5.1x.
Welchbloke

Offline AndonSage

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 08:19:47 AM »
I asked Steve to include a separate option when creating a new game to allow a player to turn off aliens, but he said it would have spoiled the surprise.

Maybe now that most people know about the aliens, he'll add that options. I hope :( That's why I'd like the two options to be separate.
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!" - Pericles (430 B.C.)
"A government big enough to give you everyt

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 10:45:07 AM »
I hate this new suggestion.

in 10 years the "Traveller" (are pacific,but am HATE show TONS OF HUNDREDS red ships station around earth" the ALiens are hundreds.

And ANOTHER big limitations: CAUTION to setup AUTOFIRE in ur FLEET..ive lost whole my federation in early game when a single DD of mine,with Autofire,return to earth,,.and..O-H M-Y G-O-D ..shoot at one BB-Class 64000 tons station up Earth..

no sign of live in this campaign,,3days later:))

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 07:59:38 AM »
Quote from: "AndonSage"
I asked Steve to include a separate option when creating a new game to allow a player to turn off aliens, but he said it would have spoiled the surprise.

Maybe now that most people know about the aliens, he'll add that options. I hope :( That's why I'd like the two options to be separate.
For v5.20 there are separate toggle on/offs for Precursors, Star Swarm and Invaders (the new aliens)

Steve

Offline AndonSage

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 10:49:37 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
For v5.20 there are separate toggle on/offs for Precursors, Star Swarm and Invaders (the new aliens)

Steve
Yay! Thank you :)
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!" - Pericles (430 B.C.)
"A government big enough to give you everyt