Author Topic: Research questions  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Elmo (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
Research questions
« on: January 06, 2010, 11:36:24 AM »
Is there a way to see prerequisites?  If I select the option to see all techs and then go back to the ones I already know there doesn't seem to be a way to know how to get there from here.

Are all techs available every game or are some lines purposely not there in some games under the assumption nobody ever figured them out?

Do the NPR's ever get techs that players can't ever research so the players have to learn them by eXploitation or eXtermination?  Not talking about ruins or Precursors as I "think" I understand they have unique techs to discover.

Thanks.  Sorry if all this has been covered somewhere but Search came up empty for me.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Research questions
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 02:56:33 PM »
Quote from: "Elmo"
Is there a way to see prerequisites?  If I select the option to see all techs and then go back to the ones I already know there doesn't seem to be a way to know how to get there from here.

Are all techs available every game or are some lines purposely not there in some games under the assumption nobody ever figured them out?

Do the NPR's ever get techs that players can't ever research so the players have to learn them by eXploitation or eXtermination?  Not talking about ruins or Precursors as I "think" I understand they have unique techs to discover.

Thanks.  Sorry if all this has been covered somewhere but Search came up empty for me.
1.)  Thier used to be an option in the research screen of show all research.  Unfortunately with the change in research mechanics this has gone away.  For most things it is fairly straightforward.  With engines their are two prerequisite techs.  The previous generation of engine, and the matching power plant for the engine you want to research.  An example would be for the ion engine you would need to research the nuclear pulse engine, and the gas-cooled power plant.  For ecm/eccm it is a little more complicated.  At any given generation of ecm/eccm you can research the previous generation as a compact unit.  You can also research a small craft unit when your ecm/eccm is twice as good as the level you want to research.  For example a level 4 ecm will allow you to research a level 3 compact ecm, and a level 2 small craft ecm.  A level 8 eccm will let you research a level 7 compact eccm and a level 4 small craft eccm, ect.  You can also research a matching ecm for missiles as your current highest generation ecm is.  There are also a few background reasearch projects that unlock entire fields.  You need to research Jump Theory to be able to do any research on jump engines/ gravitational sensors, Cloaking theory to be able to research any of the actual cloaking abilities, and Electronic warfare to research ecm/eccm.  That should cover most of the things that are giving you a problem.

2.)  All techs are normally available, exept for those that can only be found in ruins.  These are to my knowledge all weapons, and they are all very nice.

3.)  The NPR's don't get any tech  that you can't get/find

Brian

Offline Elmo (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 03:12:34 PM »
That helps a lot.  Thanks.

Offline Cernunnos

• Leading Rate
  • C
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 05:36:06 AM »
I've tried to work this out and have used the search function but haven't been able to find an answer already on the forums, if there is please accept my apologies, searching for "Jump Point Theory" or "Jump Theory" haven't returned anything of use...

Now onto my question: Are there any pre-requisites for Jump Point Theory? I've started a new game in which I turned off the automatic assignment of my initial tech points. I'm a few years in now and I have spent all my instant RPs but didn't purchase JPT. I don't recall if it was available or not, but I have conventional engine tech up to Magneto-plasma level. However, I can't seem to find JPT anywhere now that I would like to take it.

I don't need it right away so I am holding off instanting it in SM mode if I don't have to resort to that, but I can't seem to work out what technology would lead me to it either :/

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 10:55:32 AM »
Quote from: "Cernunnos"
I've tried to work this out and have used the search function but haven't been able to find an answer already on the forums, if there is please accept my apologies, searching for "Jump Point Theory" or "Jump Theory" haven't returned anything of use...

Now onto my question: Are there any pre-requisites for Jump Point Theory? I've started a new game in which I turned off the automatic assignment of my initial tech points. I'm a few years in now and I have spent all my instant RPs but didn't purchase JPT. I don't recall if it was available or not, but I have conventional engine tech up to Magneto-plasma level. However, I can't seem to find JPT anywhere now that I would like to take it.

I don't need it right away so I am holding off instanting it in SM mode if I don't have to resort to that, but I can't seem to work out what technology would lead me to it either :/

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

The only pre-req is Trans-Newtonian Physics. If you've got magneto-plasma drives, you've got TNP. The Jump Point Theory should be under Power/Propulsion (I think).

Did you start Trans-Newtonian or conventional? If I recall, Steve set things up so that a Trans-Newtonian start automatically has Jump Point Theory. Look under Power/Propulsion. If you see things like Jump Point Max Distance or Jump Engine Size, then you have it and just need to research the bits.

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 07:20:25 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
If I recall, Steve set things up so that a Trans-Newtonian start automatically has Jump Point Theory.

Jump Theory has to be researched with a TN start.  However, it is cheap enough that it generally is pocket change when spending initial RP.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 08:47:21 PM »
True, but if you have Aurora randomly assign tech then it's possible (though rare, as the tables are weighted) to not get Jump Point Theory.