Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions  (Read 350154 times)

Offline The Forbidden

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions
« Reply #960 on: January 23, 2019, 01:26:04 AM »
Quote from: Bughunter link=topic=9841. msg112281#msg112281 date=1548155527
Quote from: Sirce link=topic=9841. msg112278#msg112278 date=1548122862
Steve, don't get hit by a bus, or something similar, please!

Best suggestion so far, should be on top of the C# priority list  ;D

I'd say that assuming that "Not getting killed, maimed or otherwise injured" is pretty high on Steve's priority list is a rather safe bet.

Offline Rabid_Cog

• Commander
« Reply #961 on: January 24, 2019, 12:55:37 AM »
Why not combine the "resupply" order with the "refuel" order? Usually the two things are done at the same place. And if not, attempting to do both at the same place (fuel dump) won't cause any harm, just result in an "insufficient supplies" issue. It just cuts down on the micromanagement.
I have my own subforum now!
Shameless plug for my own Aurora story game:
5.6 part: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4988.0.html
6.2 part: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5906.0.html

Feel free to post comments!
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5452.0.html

The following users thanked this post: Scandinavian

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #962 on: January 24, 2019, 03:59:14 AM »
Why not combine the "resupply" order with the "refuel" order? Usually the two things are done at the same place. And if not, attempting to do both at the same place (fuel dump) won't cause any harm, just result in an "insufficient supplies" issue. It just cuts down on the micromanagement.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg109597#msg109597

Offline Rabid_Cog

• Commander
« Reply #963 on: January 24, 2019, 04:50:52 AM »

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg109597#msg109597
I'll just show myself out. Door's still over there, same as last time, yes?  ;)
I have my own subforum now!
Shameless plug for my own Aurora story game:
5.6 part: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4988.0.html
6.2 part: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5906.0.html

Feel free to post comments!
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5452.0.html

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #964 on: January 25, 2019, 05:02:25 AM »
Quality of Life idea: Order Patterns. This is something I think could come in handy for transport fleets. Usually when I spread installations around a system, I have to create a similar order flow - pick up A here, move to B, unload, return to A, refuel. Or if it is some kind of mining colony I add a "load minerals on B" after the unload. This goes in two flavors: do it x amount of times or cycle it.

It's a bit annoying to have to create this pattern over and over again. Now, there already is a function in the game which can save such order patterns - although you can't modify them. Having those as general order patterns in which you "simply" add source, destination and what you want to tranfer, flavored with the option to "auto generate shortest jump route" (which was already in VB6-Aurora), would be a nice time and click saving QoL.

Edit: since C# Aurora is a lot quicker at calculating routes, how about a new command „autocalc route to“. By choosing this command instead of manually creating a route each time a fleet comes to this command, it calculates the shortest route to the target.
Idea is, that in some systems, depending on star constellation, it sometimes is quicker to go through a Lagrange point, sometimes not. This would reflect what a ships captain would normally do, instead of flying a pre-given but eventually ineffective course.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 12:54:10 PM by TMaekler »

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #965 on: January 28, 2019, 04:29:25 PM »
To simplify managing bigger empires having civilian trade also transport minerals would be an ideal addition. Maybe in terms of using the "mineral limit" values as a measurement of automating those orders. If on a colony the mineral amount is lower than the minimum this generates a demand for this mineral and the civilians take a look around which planets do have that mineral in abundance (maybe two or three times over the minimum value) and transport that to the target planet.

If we go down that route, I think it would be ideal to have a way to specify which planets/colonies civilian freighters are allowed to consider when they're looking for where to acquire minerals, and maybe even the ability to designate which minerals they're allowed to take from which planets/colonies.
Hi Steve. Don't know if you ever adresses this. Would you think, something of that kind would be possible to realize?

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
« Reply #966 on: January 31, 2019, 03:15:14 AM »
would it be possible to have civilian troop transports/a way to contract the shipping lines to move troops around various garrisons?
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

Offline The Forbidden

• T
« Reply #967 on: January 31, 2019, 03:41:22 AM »
would it be possible to have civilian troop transports/a way to contract the shipping lines to move troops around various garrisons?

I think the transition of troop bays from military systems to commercial ones should already cover those kind of issues pretty well. After all you won't need to overhaul or maintain your slow, lumbering standard troop transports that move your garrisons around.

Offline The Forbidden

• T
« Reply #968 on: January 31, 2019, 03:43:35 AM »
Also, quick question Steve, do STOs make orbital defence stations irrelevant ? Since they're hidden unless they fire and apparently possess quite a fair amount of fire power, is there any real insensitive to build them besides having missile launch capability?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #969 on: January 31, 2019, 04:12:07 AM »
Also, quick question Steve, do STOs make orbital defence stations irrelevant ? Since they're hidden unless they fire and apparently possess quite a fair amount of fire power, is there any real insensitive to build them besides having missile launch capability?

AMM stations will still be needed. They could be protected by ground-based PD, but I think a combination of ground and space-based PD will still be useful.

Offline The Forbidden

• T
« Reply #970 on: January 31, 2019, 04:53:32 AM »

AMM stations will still be needed. They could be protected by ground-based PD, but I think a combination of ground and space-based PD will still be useful.

The only thing left to know is if it will be worth the actual cost and shipyards to build them then (I was never one for AMM, using too much ordonnance for sometimes meager results, so I might be slightly pessimistic).

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #971 on: January 31, 2019, 05:25:30 AM »

I can see how Space based PD could become useful in case you have either:

1.) A logistical situation that is better suited for it ( lots of tugs or hangar space to haul them around but a shortage of transports for ground units ).
2.) A production situation that is better suited for it ( minerals or factories to build them in surplus but a shortage of minerals or ground unit training ).

Offline The Forbidden

• T
« Reply #972 on: January 31, 2019, 06:33:37 AM »

I can see how Space based PD could become useful in case you have either:

1.) A logistical situation that is better suited for it ( lots of tugs or hangar space to haul them around but a shortage of transports for ground units ).
2.) A production situation that is better suited for it ( minerals or factories to build them in surplus but a shortage of minerals or ground unit training ).

Wait, I thought factories could only be used to build civilian space stations in C# Aurora.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #973 on: January 31, 2019, 06:34:49 AM »
Wait, I thought factories could only be used to build civilian space stations in C# Aurora.

That might be the case, I probably thought about Military Space factories aka Shipyards in that case:P

Hard to keep all the changes in your head when you can't play it yet!

Offline Ranged66

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #974 on: January 31, 2019, 06:41:20 AM »
QoL economy/industry suggestion:

Mineral overview window

Shows total empire-wide income/expenditure of every mineral.
e.g. showing that there are 1200 tons of Duranium being harvested annually, but 2500 being used up anually.

Can optionally even be broken down into a per system or per planet basis with totals displayed somewhere. This will make it easier to identify resource shortcomings.

The following users thanked this post: Happerry, Scandinavian, TMaekler, The Forbidden