Author Topic: how many troop transports do i need to carry a Division?  (Read 1230 times)

Offline leonidas1283 (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
how many troop transports do i need to carry a Division?

Offline adisander

• Leading Rate
  • a
Re: how many troop transports do i need to carry a Division?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 02:05:53 AM »
You can find a lot of useful information on ground forces here hxxp: www. aurorawiki. pentarch. org/index. php?title=Ground_forces#Special_Operations_units.  As it states, divisions (the two low tech ones, which you probably want to upgrade rather than moving around) have a size of 50, and troop transport bays have a rating of 5 (small troop transport bays have a rating of 1) so you'll need 10 troop transport bays to move one low-tech division.

If you're referring instead to Division HQs, a Division HQ can fit 4 Battalion HQs, which each can command 4 Battalions, for a total of 21 units = 105 size, = 21 troop transport bays at max (not counting construction brigades, which you probably won't want to put in a battalion HQ anyway).

The following users thanked this post: leonidas1283

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 12:17:30 PM »
If brigade HQ commanders add their Xenoarchaeology bonus to their brigade, there IS a reason to have Construction Battalions in a brigade.  The higher the Xenoarchaeology bonus, the greater chance the installation will not be ruined when you get an attempt at recovery.  That would be an example where a small number of units with the best bonus is better than a larger number of units without.

The following users thanked this post: leonidas1283, adisander

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 06:39:55 AM »
Interesting. Can anybody verify, if that bonus is applied here? Didn't thought of that one before... .

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 03:40:34 PM »
Construction Brigades are called that and while they are size 25, ie the size of a brigade HQ + 4 battalions, they have to be attached to a brigade HQ, not divisional HQ. So even a Construction "brigade" would take 25*4+5/5 so 21 troop transport bays, making it the same size as a combat division. A full construction division would be the size of four combat divisions. You probably don't want to create one.

And while 21 Troop Transport Bays is enough to transport a full combat division in one go, I always add 4 more bays so I can move 4 Replacement Battalions with the division, so that it can replace combat losses immediately. It doesn't increase the size of the ship massively and reduces micro-management a bit since you don't have to move REPs separately.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 03:43:47 PM by Garfunkel »

Offline leonidas1283 (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 05:48:40 PM »
good so im adding them to my garrisons and divisions!!

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 12:35:33 AM »
how many troop transports do i need to carry a Division?

One. . .  but it may take a very long time.  #:-]