Author Topic: Missiles  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Missiles
« on: April 29, 2009, 07:21:19 PM »
I recently redesigned some missiles. I'd run into the problem of the firing platform being knocked out and the missiles wandering.

So I added a .5 msp Active Sensor. This gives the missiles a 10,000 km range for detecting targets. Ideally what will happen is that the target will be destroyed, and nearby missiles will automatically attack a close enemy.

Is my thinking on this correct, or am I wishing?

Note- I've also done this to AMM to provide less wastage. On a related side note, if an AMM misses its target salvo, does it attempt to intercept on the next time increment?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Missiles
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 10:16:06 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
I recently redesigned some missiles. I'd run into the problem of the firing platform being knocked out and the missiles wandering.

So I added a .5 msp Active Sensor. This gives the missiles a 10,000 km range for detecting targets. Ideally what will happen is that the target will be destroyed, and nearby missiles will automatically attack a close enemy.

Is my thinking on this correct, or am I wishing?

Note- I've also done this to AMM to provide less wastage. On a related side note, if an AMM misses its target salvo, does it attempt to intercept on the next time increment?

1.)  Only if the missiles are not under active guidance from the firing ship.  Otherwise they will go after the designated target.

2.)  With the AMM they will try to engage the next target as designated by the active fire control.  If there is no active fire control they will wait untill something comes within their range.  The problem with the AMM is if they did not have a target to attack on the first pass, they will probably be chasing missiles about as fast as they are.  In which case the chances of catching the missiles is fairly low.

In both cases the assumption is that the target of the fire control is destroyed before the missiles attempt to hit it.  If they attempt to hit, but miss because of the speed of the target then they are done.  They do not get to attempt multiple attack runs.  This means it is fairly rare for the AMM to not have a valid target as the fire control will automatically reassign to another salvo.  The only way it will happen is if there are enough missiles in a counter salvo that the incomming attack salvo is destroyed, without having all of the counter missiles attempt to hit a target.  In that case there will be a few missiles that did not engage, which can attempt to engage on the next round of firings.

Brian

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 11:05:43 PM »
My main concern is having my missile boats wiped and having numerous birds en-route with no way to reassign them if their target gets popped.

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 07:38:19 AM »
My main concern is having my missile boats wiped and having numerous birds en-route with no way to reassign them if their target gets popped.
While a missile is assigned to a fire control system, it will ignore any onboard sensors. If that fire control is destroyed, the missiles will home on the closest target they can detect with their own sensors.

Steve

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 04:19:08 PM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
While a missile is assigned to a fire control system, it will ignore any onboard sensors. If that fire control is destroyed, the missiles will home on the closest target they can detect with their own sensors.

Steve

That's what I want to see. :)

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 05:26:44 PM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
That's what I want to see. :)

Steve

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 05:37:26 PM »
So far the shoe is on the other foot.

The AI is running from me, and his missiles are ineffective against my anti-missile defense currently. Though who runs out of missiles first will be the deciding factor I think. I'm fairly certain his birds don't have any scanners on them.

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 05:39:25 PM »
Update.

Something happened 22m km away. 2 lifepod contacts just appeared, and I've got Wraith shipkillers looking for a target.