Author Topic: Prize Ships  (Read 1912 times)

Offline ArchRylen (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • A
Prize Ships
« on: February 04, 2013, 09:38:04 AM »
Skirmishing with robo-spoilers, I crippled two of their ships with my fighters.  I then sent boarding parties over to capture the ships.  Both were successful.

I had my main fleet absorb the first ship.  Since its engines were gone, I took it under tow.  Then it blew up, killing the troops still aboard and the pilot of a destroyed fighter it had picked up.

I am pretty sure all the engineering spaces on the second craft have been destroyed.  Are there any tips for getting it back to my spacedocks for dissection? Would abandoning and then salvaging it net me more info and components than just letting it blow up? Any other advice?

How could I have moved the pilot from the captured ships brig to one of my less rickety vessels?

Related questions: once I get salvage data, how do I control which world gets it? I have labs distributed across several planets, but only one planet seems to get the data.

Some of my ships are smacking things around with 15cm, V4 (range 120,000) Railguns.  I want them to hold at a 50,000 range.  I think I order them to "Follow <x> at . 5 k km".  Is that correct?

Thanks.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Prize Ships
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »

Some of my ships are smacking things around with 15cm, V4 (range 120,000) Railguns.  I want them to hold at a 50,000 range.  I think I order them to "Follow <x> at . 5 k km".  Is that correct?

Thanks.

Ahhh... you want 50 for that value. .5 would be 500km.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 06:34:16 PM »
IMO, The best solution is to have a large carrier/spacedock vessel capable of holding a captured vessel internally.

Offline MagusXIX

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 12:19:13 AM »
IMO, The best solution is to have a large carrier/spacedock vessel capable of holding a captured vessel internally.

Be sure to play the Imperial March and demand the location of your stolen plans from any aliens you capture.

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 03:40:54 AM »
build one of those deathstar thingies with research labs, automated salave modules and faster than light telecommunication links tow it into the system in question and weird bug technology can be dissected etc (irrelvant humour)

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 07:33:52 AM »
build one of those deathstar thingies with research labs, automated salave modules and faster than light telecommunication links tow it into the system in question and weird bug technology can be dissected etc (irrelvant humour)

Just to point out...

Research Labs are not ship systems, they are planetary installations.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline ArchRylen (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 09:29:22 AM »
Quote from: TheDeadlyShoe link=topic=5874.  msg60108#msg60108 date=1360542856
I was afraid if would be something like that.   I was nowhere near building 20k capacity carriers when the fight went down. 

I was really hoping that I could build 20 ships, each with 1k maintenance capacity and they would stabilize things. 

Quote from: ollobrains link=topic=5874.  msg60121#msg60121 date=1360575654

That's an idea.   Orbital Habitat + 20k capacity hangars + armor should do it and can be built with industry, not dependent on space docks. 

Would that count as a military ship? Would I need to keep it mostly orbiting a world w/ N! maintenance capacity? (N! being quite large.  )

What do the Telecom links do? I'm guessing that's a joke. 

I don't think I can get multiple ships towing something.   This is going to move slowly. 

While I'm thinking about it, is there a way to get troops out of Drop Modules and captured ships besides landing them on a planet? I wound up with some troops ready for boarding who never got used and wanted to move them back onto their troop ships.

The same goes for survivors.  In one fight, I sent a TG to pick up lifepods.  They got nabbed by one vessel.  Next time, I'd like to move them from there to a ship with Cyro storage.

I appreciate the advice. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:44:06 AM by ArchRylen »

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 01:11:18 PM »
unfortunately not as far as I know.

You could do a bunch of ships/a PDC with Maintenance Modules if you can tow the wreck to a nearby body before it asplodes.