Author Topic: Adding Race/system mid game  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
Adding Race/system mid game
« on: February 24, 2013, 10:57:44 PM »
I recently picked Aurora back up after 2 years and started a normal trans Newtonian game with 6.21. I have discovered about 8 systems with no signs of aliens yet (although I did find wrecks). I turned off precursors and swarms because it didn't fit with my role play.

So, I was wondering if it is possible to go into SM mode and "place" an alien NPR on an existing system or to add a new system (and connect it to an existing one) with an NPR on it? I mean, without starting a new game?

I'm sure one would pop up eventually but I have limited time to play and want to get to fighting!

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
Re: Adding Race/system mid game
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 11:15:48 PM »
activate SM mode and go into the System view (f9)

this is where the basic SM stuff happens

to really do this properly you should have an SM race but I'm not sure if you can get one if you don't have it at gamestart

Anyway go to the Jump Points tab for an existing system.

IMPORTANT NOTE. Everything you do in this view will be 'visible' to the race you have selected.  Thus if you are using your Terran Federation/player race then they will know about any system you create this way and that system will show on the galaxy map!  This is one reason the SM race exists.

From here you can basically do everything. If you had SM mode on when you entered the f9 view you will see 'Create System' 'Create Empire' etc. tabs at the bottom right. Creating a system using this button will create a system with a random system number close to current system. Systems tend to connect to systems that have similar system numbers, depending on the 'max # of systems' determined in the game setup. IMPORTANT NOTE: The system may have auto-generated stuff in it!!!!!

If a planet is capable of supporting life (oxy or methane atmosphere) you can select that planet in the system and use Create Empire to create a player or NPR race there. To create an NPR race make sure the NPR box is checked.  I would enthusiastically suggest that after creating an NPR race you manually modify that planets minerals (using specify minerals) in order to give the NPR a large secure mineral supply since running out of an important mineral is the #1 cause of complete NPR impotence.

If you have the Jump Points tab open you can manually create, edit, connect, disconnect, etc jump points in the current system. You can even fake-explore through a JP.

You can also delete systems in this view if you are unhappy with them.

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• M
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 11:30:16 PM »
Fantastic! I just wasn't sure if it could be done mid game. Last question, is a system created when you first enter it or when a jump point is discovered? For example: system Ross 248 has 3 unexplored jump points...can I create my be system and link it to the already existing unexplored jump point or are those unexplored jump points already linked?

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 11:58:42 AM »
The systems that are linked to by jump points are not actually created until you jump a ship through the point. The exception to this is if an NPR has jumped into that system via another route that you may not be aware of.

With SM mode active you should be able to edit the jump points in a system from the system information window.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 02:58:55 PM »
More specifically, unexplored(by anyone) jump points connect to a random system number that is usually (but not always) close to the current system number.  If the rolled system number does not exist, it is created; if it does exist, it links in to an existing unused jump point.  If it exists but there's no available jump points, it is possible for a new jump point to be created in the system.  I believe there are additional rules governing such things that I'm not aware of.

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• M
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 04:07:59 PM »
Thanks guys. Got some game time coming tonight so I will give it a shot.