VB6 Aurora > Installation

Aurora v5.54 Full Installation

(1/11) > >>

Steve Walmsley:
PLEASE CAREFULLY READ EVERYTHING IN THIS POST BEFORE INSTALLING

Below is a complete new installation for Aurora v5.54. This will replace all previous installations and any future patches will be based on this version.

Full Install for v5.54 (80MB)

Important! Make sure you read these instructions carefully and follow them exactly. Aurora is written in an old language and therefore uses an installation program from the late 1990s. If you don't follow the instructions  you will end up with a series of errors, usually 3061 then 3265 then a series of 91s. If that happens, uninstall and re-install and follow the instructions carefully.

1) Download AuroraInstall554.zip and unzip it. You will have four files called Aurora.CAB, Setup.exe, Setup.LST and AuroraUpdate554.zip
2) Run Setup.exe. This will run a standard (but old) Microsoft install program, installing to the default C:\Program Files\Aurora directory. Important: If you are asked about overwriting any existing files with older files, make sure you KEEP the existing files. Note: For Windows Vista, 7, 8, it is better to install to C:\aurora instead of C:\program files\aurora or C:\program files (x86) in 64 bit as the program files folders are protected by the system kernel.
3) Unzip AuroraUpdate554.zip into the same directory and answer yes to overwriting Aurora.exe and Stevefire.mdb.

AuroraInstall554.zip

Important: If you live in a country where the decimal separator is a comma, please change your regional settings to either UK or US (where the decimal separator is a period) when playing Aurora. If you don't change this, you will get a LOT of errors.

N.B. If you are trying to play and all you get is:

"Error 3061 was generated by DAO Database
Too few Parameters. Expected 1"

Followed by:
"Error 3265 reported by DAO.Fields
Item not found in this collection"

Followed by a series of error 91s.

Either you didn't follow the installation instructions or you didn't change the decimal separator. If you have been playing for a while with no problems and this error sequence appears then it may be something else and you can report it in the bugs thread.

Note: This was originally the thread for the v4.75 and v4.91 full installations. I have edited it with the v5.54 information but left the thread in place as it contains useful information

Steve

Beersatron:
I'd like to add a note that probably only affects a few people, those who periodically save the DB so they can roll back if they make a big mistake or run into a bug.

In Windows 7 (and possibly Vista although I have never used it) even though the majority of people will be logging in as 'Administrator' to your machine this account is not like the old XP account. Win7 administrator is a pseudo admin and when Aurora installs to the default location the folder and files get some really weird permissions settings. Afaik this is true for everything, not just Aurora.

The short of it is, that the game runs fine. But, you can run into a problem with copying an old save into the folder, Win7 will just ignore the old file even though it asks for confirmation on overwriting the current save.

It can be rather frustrating ....  

There are two ways I got around it:

1. installing Aurora on a partition that was created back when I was using WinXP (this is a non-OS partition).
2. If you only have the one partition and install it normally then: I can't remember exactly what it is called, but in Win7 there is a way to view all the backups for a particular folder (it is an option in File Explorer). What I found to work was pasting the old save into this folder and then copy/paste from that folder into the installation folder, you might have to rename the files.

In saying all that, don't be scared of installing!!

alanwebber:
For Vista I think I got round this problem by NOT installing the program into the "Program Files" directory. Set up a directory called Aurora in the downloads directory and then run the set up to that one. I found I could not overwrite the database with a new version when installed in the Program Files directory.

Alan

LPJD:
Sorry, but I appear to be a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff.  Downloaded the file, but can't seem to figure out where the "download" folder is or how to get it set up.  Tried putting it in programs and get nothing but errors.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Running on Vista

Steve Walmsley:

--- Quote from: "LPJD" ---Sorry, but I appear to be a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff.  Downloaded the file, but can't seem to figure out where the "download" folder is or how to get it set up.  Tried putting it in programs and get nothing but errors.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Running on Vista
--- End quote ---
Just to clarify, do you mean you downloaded normally, unzipped the file and followed the installation instructions and then got errors during installation. Or did you get errors when running the program?

Also, what is the text of the errors you saw?

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version