Author Topic: Preservation Campaign - Prelude  (Read 4024 times)

Online Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Preservation Campaign - Prelude
« on: November 21, 2006, 06:58:52 PM »
Ny-Ghrr waddled along the outer cloister of the Temple of Omnipotence, his ponderous bulk swaying from side to side. As usual, he was late for his weekly audience with the High Keeper and Mu-Thron was not known for his tolerance of tardiness. Why the High Keeper had forbidden teleportation within the Temple was a mystery to Ny-Ghrr but as far as he was concerned, if the Seven Gods had meant for him to walk, they would have given him stronger ambulatory appendages. By the time he finally arrived in the great hall, he was flustered and exhausted in equal measure and cowered under Mu-Thron
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 05:16:51 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline rmcrowe

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 07:15:19 PM »
Quite a concept.  And our uber-race slacker better get his reproduction done quickly, before the High Keeper finds out what he has done.

robert
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by rmcrowe »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 08:32:14 PM »
History of the World has an excellent list of significant empires going back through the ages.  My particular favourite is the Vedic City States, circa 1400 BCE.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Father Tim »

Offline TrueZuluwiz

• Zulu
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 09:22:36 PM »
Now this sounds interesting. I hope those societies were placed on different, well separated planets.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by TrueZuluwiz »
Expecting the Spanish Inquisition

Offline wildfire142

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • w
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 12:51:22 AM »
Sounds very intresting, can't wait to read more :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by wildfire142 »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 01:48:07 PM »
Quote from: "TrueZuluwiz"
Now this sounds interesting. I hope those societies were placed on different, well separated planets.

The races are all being placed in separate starting systems. I will probably start with three of four then add new ones as required. How far apart those systems are will dependon how exploration goes.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 02:01:46 PM »
Hmmm, the first four I could see, but before 1812 France I don't see anybody with a culture emphasizing research and pure science.  You need a culture emphasizing research and pure science to get funds for research and pure science.  And funds for research and pure science means the scientists and educators need a certain level of political power.

Adding a powerful group of scientists and educators on top of a Roman or Mongol culture would radically change them.  The industrial revolution alone would radically disrupt the land owner based power structure of Rome.  And getting into mines, cities and generally fixed structures would pose a major challenge to the Nomadic society of the Mongols.  The Mongols would be a prime candidate for heavy use of Fuel Harvester tech, I think.

I would love to the British Empire or Napoleonic empire with race pictures and ship pictures from Phil Foglio's Girl Genius series  http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-bin ... e=20050221
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Michael Sandy »

Offline TrueZuluwiz

• Zulu
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 09:26:27 AM »
What sort of differences will we see in these Empire's Fleets? The Mongols, for instance, are likely to build a swarm of small ships and attempt to bury their opponents with numbers. The Romans would call their ships galleys and concentrate on land forces (they never were very swift at sea). The Norse, on the other hands, were explorers and bandits, operating in separate companies and only joining together for large objectives, and then only for loot. What other cultural differences will we see between these civilizations, and how will these differences affect their operations?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 10:48:12 AM »
What sort of differences will we see in these Empire's Fleets? The Mongols, for instance, are likely to build a swarm of small ships and attempt to bury their opponents with numbers. The Romans would call their ships galleys and concentrate on land forces (they never were very swift at sea). The Norse, on the other hands, were explorers and bandits, operating in separate companies and only joining together for large objectives, and then only for loot. What other cultural differences will we see between these civilizations, and how will these differences affect their operations?

Funny you should say that about the Mongols as I am envisaging them using a lot of small, fast ships but with a single powerful particle accelerator as a weapon. The one ship I built will serve as a flagship. The Vikings will be raiders and they will base their tech around raiding or capturing the planets of other races. The Romans will take a more rounded approach and will attempt to expand their territory, bringing other races in as vassals.

The next race will be the 19th Century British Empire who will concentrate on industry and trade but will build up a powerful fleet to protect that trade (and conquer the occasional band of dervishes)

Steve

Offline TrueZuluwiz

• Zulu
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 01:42:27 PM »
So you expect to see a lot of races that are not spacegoing and prime for raiding and conquest?

Offline Randy

• Sub-Lieutenant
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 02:53:44 PM »
And what about the Spanish??  We gotta have the Spanish Inquisition!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Randy »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 03:28:38 PM »
Quote from: "Randy"
And what about the Spanish??  We gotta have the Spanish Inquisition!!

They would make an interesting addition :)

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 03:31:03 PM »
So you expect to see a lot of races that are not spacegoing and prime for raiding and conquest?

I don't think the Mongols or Vikings will restrict themselves to non-spacegoing races. Speaking of which, I haven't added low tech races yet because they were always more of a hindrance in Starfire than anything else. I would be happy to have them however if a useful role could be found for them. Slave Labour is one thing that comes to mind, depending on the government type of the conqueror.

Steve

Offline miketr

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • m
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 10:55:11 PM »
Hey Steve...  I have a suggestion if I may.  Dump the ####'s they have no redeaming qualities, sure you have your GFFP race but, eh they suck.

Instead either go for the 2nd Reich (IE German Empire under Kaiser Wilhelm II or perhaps Wilhelm I and Bismarck as chancellor).  Or the Holy Roman Empire, perhaps with some member of the Hohenstaufen dynasty in control like Henry VI with super science I doubt he dies young...  :)

Looking forward to the stories.

Michael
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by miketr »

Offline TrueZuluwiz

• Zulu
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 07:31:52 AM »
If for some reason the Spanish Inquisition were added, (and I am expecting it to happen) then we would at least know what they would be using for weapons, right? (Fear, surprise, etc.)