Author Topic: Release date?  (Read 34005 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Release date?
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2018, 09:10:27 AM »
How is the performance vs old Aurora?

So far a lot faster

The following users thanked this post: waresky, hubgbf, Noble713, bro918, Nori, DEEPenergy, Lord Defecator

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2018, 03:31:26 PM »
Look on the bright side though. If I had been able to correctly estimate how much time this would take, I would never have started :)

This is why I never got started on a space sim game of my own  :)
Developing professionally with requirements to design and estimate projects killed all that carefree enthusiasm. But I got designs for around 10 different games collecting dust by now.

Offline Deutschbag

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Discord Username: Pwnzerfaust
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2018, 11:12:28 AM »
I love the optimism when reading back to the beginning of this thread hahah

Yes :)

Look on the bright side though. If I had been able to correctly estimate how much time this would take, I would never have started :)

Well, I just wanna say I'm glad you did get started. C# Aurora is no joke my most anticipated upcoming game.

The following users thanked this post: Rogtuok, bro918, Agoelia

Offline MultiVitamin

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2019, 11:10:25 PM »
Been a bit since this was last brought up.  Any news?

Offline Desdinova

• Lt. Commander
  • D
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2019, 11:29:49 PM »

Maybe we should start a pool. Put me down for 9 months

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2019, 01:42:54 AM »
Some of us are thinking weeks rather than months :p
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2019, 01:53:22 AM »
40 weeks, then?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2019, 02:05:28 AM »

Still 2020.

Summer.

In the southern hemisphere.

The second one.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2019, 07:51:33 AM »
I dunno, what's left?
the new AI is major but looks pretty close to done, ground combat hasn't been tested and probably needs a bit of bug fixing, but apart from that, I have no idea what you think steve's going to be doing untill 2020 :p
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2019, 10:49:44 AM »
I dunno, what's left?
the new AI is major but looks pretty close to done, ground combat hasn't been tested and probably needs a bit of bug fixing, but apart from that, I have no idea what you think steve's going to be doing untill 2020 :p

The only really significant development areas left at the moment are strategic offence for the AI and diplomacy.

There are a lot of minor UI areas that I left out when programming functionality, which I am fixing as I need them while playing, plus some smaller windows such as habitable world search. However, those are just labour intensive - they don't need a lot of thought and aren't even that necessary for a first release. They are tidying up more than anything.

The thing that is taking time at the moment is testing and and fixing bugs for existing functionality. I tested functions within the code as they were written to ensure no immediate execution errors, but once all the different areas of the code interact during a real campaign, it creates a lot of unforeseen situations. Even the fact that something is going wrong is not always immediately obvious. Also, fixing one thing sometimes uncovers other problems that were hidden by the first bug. I've caused some fairly spectacular problems by fixing minor bugs :).

Finally, the major factor in development is simply the availability of my own time. This week for example, I had to take some work visitors out to dinner on Monday, we have a work poker tournament tonight, I am out with my wife tomorrow and we have friends coming over from the UK to stay at our house Friday to Monday. The weather is getting warmer so we are starting to BBQ and the hot tub will be filled this week. We have holidays coming up in May and July and the TT festival is in June for 2 weeks. The list goes on. Even when I do have free time, I have other hobbies beside Aurora. I just ordered an 11" Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope so I can finally do some astronomy, so that will be taking up some time too :)

I'm not being pessimistic, but rather just pointing out the variety of reasons that remaining work is not necessarily correlated with delivery time. Lots of rain for example, is probably good for Aurora :)

The following users thanked this post: waresky, Garfunkel, kks, Viridia, bro918, DEEPenergy

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2019, 11:35:54 AM »
Rain is always a realistic possibility in the British Isles.

Offline Lornalt

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2019, 01:45:04 PM »
Rain? British Isles? Pssh. . .  only you lot would call that rain  ;D

Offline MultiVitamin

• M
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2019, 01:49:54 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=9533. msg113607#msg113607 date=1554306584
Quote from: MarcAFK link=topic=9533. msg113605#msg113605 date=1554295893
I dunno, what's left?

The only really significant development areas left at the moment are strategic offence for the AI and diplomacy.

There are a lot of minor UI areas that I left out when programming functionality, which I am fixing as I need them while playing, plus some smaller windows such as habitable world search.  However, those are just labour intensive - they don't need a lot of thought and aren't even that necessary for a first release.  They are tidying up more than anything.

The thing that is taking time at the moment is testing and and fixing bugs for existing functionality.  I tested functions within the code as they were written to ensure no immediate execution errors, but once all the different areas of the code interact during a real campaign, it creates a lot of unforeseen situations.  Even the fact that something is going wrong is not always immediately obvious.  Also, fixing one thing sometimes uncovers other problems that were hidden by the first bug.  I've caused some fairly spectacular problems by fixing minor bugs :)

Finally, the major factor in development is simply the availability of my own time.  This week for example, I had to take some work visitors out to dinner on Monday, we have a work poker tournament tonight, I am out with my wife tomorrow and we have friends coming over from the UK to stay at our house Friday to Monday.  The weather is getting warmer so we are starting to BBQ and the hot tub will be filled this week.  We have holidays coming up in May and July and the TT festival is in June for 2 weeks.  The list goes on.  Even when I do have free time, I have other hobbies beside Aurora.  I just ordered an 11" Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope so I can finally do some astronomy, so that will be taking up some time too :)

I'm not being pessimistic, but rather just pointing out the variety of reasons that remaining work is not necessarily correlated with delivery time.  Lots of rain for example, is probably good for Aurora :)

Hey no worries, we get it.  This is your own personal project that you decided to bless the masses with on a whim so take your time and enjoy yourself.

Although from this, what I'm hearing is that we all need to start performing rain dances aimed at the British isles  ;D

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2019, 01:42:04 AM »
This reminds me of an indie game dev I'm following who live streamed coding a basic mod.
The mod was basically done in a bit over an hour but thwacking bugs took about as much time.
With the insane complexity of Aurora, and particularly the new AI I would expect there to be innumerable hidden 'features' to uncover :p
I'm in no particular rush to complain about development time, I'm more looking forward to the first AARs pertaining to the new ground combat system  than anything else :p

Offline MultiVitamin

• M
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2019, 02:39:16 AM »
Quote from: MarcAFK link=topic=9533. msg113630#msg113630 date=1554360124
This reminds me of an indie game dev I'm following who live streamed coding a basic mod.
The mod was basically done in a bit over an hour but thwacking bugs took about as much time.
With the insane complexity of Aurora, and particularly the new AI I would expect there to be innumerable hidden 'features' to uncover :p
I'm in no particular rush to complain about development time, I'm more looking forward to the first AARs pertaining to the new ground combat system  than anything else :p

Funnily enough, I actually finally made an account instead of continuing to lurk because I wanted to start doing AARs.  But the lack of Ground Unit features stopped me.

Now I'm waiting until C# comes around before I do so.  A lot of interesting story elements are gonna come from the new ground units, bigger database, and just everything overall.

The following users thanked this post: Happerry