Author Topic: Sensor station with no sensors - what am i doing wrong  (Read 366 times)

Offline undercovergeek (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • u
Sensor station with no sensors - what am i doing wrong
« on: March 15, 2024, 10:32:56 AM »
I have a fairly decent suite of sensors on my cruisers so i know they work

Im trying to build some small sensor stations near jump points to keep a beady eye on any neighbours - i create the station - add the sensors, but when i press 'no armour' so they can be space stations built with industry the sensors are wiped off the build and i cant add them back on until i untick the no armour box - can they not be unarmoured or are my sensors too heavy

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Sensor station with no sensors - what am i doing wrong
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 10:56:10 AM »
I have a fairly decent suite of sensors on my cruisers so i know they work

Im trying to build some small sensor stations near jump points to keep a beady eye on any neighbours - i create the station - add the sensors, but when i press 'no armour' so they can be space stations built with industry the sensors are wiped off the build and i cant add them back on until i untick the no armour box - can they not be unarmoured or are my sensors too heavy

"No armor" means a commercial space station, which can be built with planetary industry - this means you are limited to commercial components only, along with no engines.

Sensors larger than 1 HS are considered military components. Commercial ships must mount sensors of 1 HS or smaller size.

The following users thanked this post: undercovergeek

Offline undercovergeek (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • u
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 11:30:34 AM »
ahhh thatll explain it - theyre only small ill build them in a yard - i had intended to leave them monitoring the jump points - i guess if theyre military theyre going to need swapping in and out at a hub to regenerate MSP and the deployment time

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2024, 12:31:57 PM »
Commercial station types like that really are useful for the fire-and-forget capability, but you have to accept that their sensors will not be very good. They'll let you know when somebody is visiting the picketed POI, but they're not going to offer much area intel.

Mine rate under 250 tons, so I can pack a bunch into one of my (also commercial) auxiliary carriers when I want to distribute them.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 02:16:06 PM »
Another good option is to use buoys, which in Aurora are simply missiles with no engine and a sensor package. The sensors won't be very good, but enough to monitor a jump point for transits, and missiles are cheaper plus easier to distribute.

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2024, 09:03:41 PM »
I believe the buoys are a good option, but I might quibble with easier to distribute: they've got a lot less tonnage but they can only be launched by a military ship, while commercial picket stations can be delivered by a commercial carrier (or tug). YMMV but I always appreciate the ability to solve my problems with a commercial hull.

Though if you're running missile warships through the area already, sticking a few buoys in their magazines isn't asking much. Or you could strap buoy launchers onto things like survey ships that are already obligated to be military.