Author Topic: Terraforming Help  (Read 1495 times)

Offline filippe999 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • f
Terraforming Help
« on: April 05, 2016, 09:21:28 AM »
Hello everyone

So lately i've been trying to build a program to help me decide exactly how much Anti-GH/Safe-GH gas to add to planets, but i've been struggling with the logic.
Currently i'm calculating the ideal Greenhouse Factor based on the surface temperature of Earth:

Greenhouse factor = Surface Temperature / ( Base Temperature * Albedo )

I subtract that value from the current greenhouse factor and add that amount of SGHG/AGHG to the atmosphere, now as you might guess, as pressure increases so does the greenhouse factor! this leads me to having to rebalance and remove the gas until a breakpoint is achieved which is very close to my target temperature.
Did someone work out a single formula to calculate the amount of Anti-GH/Safe-GH gas to use already? or at least a better approach?

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
Re: Terraforming Help
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 02:32:15 PM »
Try these ones:

- p_g is only the greenhouse active gas pressure, which is what you want to know.
- p_ag is for anti-greenhouse pressure, so you'd use the second equation for this.(not much different though)
- p_n is only the neutral gases pressure, so p=p_n+p_g/p_ag, but that doesn't matter here
- T is end temperature
- T_b is basis temperature

Important: It doesn't consider that there is a maximum of 3 for the total greenhouse factor, so some caution.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

The following users thanked this post: filippe999

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 05:36:02 AM »
There's an Excel worktable floating around here somewhere that does the work for you. You just plug in the stats of the body you're terraforming and it'll tell you if it can be done and how much is required.

The following users thanked this post: filippe999

Offline filippe999 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • f
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 08:16:47 AM »
Quote from: Garfunkel link=topic=8507. msg88966#msg88966 date=1459938962
There's an Excel worktable floating around here somewhere that does the work for you.  You just plug in the stats of the body you're terraforming and it'll tell you if it can be done and how much is required.

Any leads on where one might find this valuable treasure in the mysterious lands of Aurora 4x forums?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 06:29:07 AM »
Oh gods, no idea. It's been a long time since I downloaded it.

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 11:01:08 AM »
https://dl. dropboxusercontent. com/u/58394320/Aurora_Terraforming. ods
If you want to find the original author, you'll have to use the search function on the forums, I definitely got it from here.  IIRC the original file also had a bunch of sheets and macros to calculate a lot of Aurora-related things.  Do use the advanced setting and uncheck fiction forums.