Author Topic: Official v7.10 Bugs Reporting Thread  (Read 213869 times)

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
Re: Official v7.10 Bugs Reporting Thread
« Reply #375 on: April 07, 2016, 11:16:50 PM »
Could you elaborate on the Tracking speed thing? If it is what it sounds like this is a fairly major problem that would affect everyone who used or fought against missiles. (ie- everyone)
I took two ships, and put them on different sides.  I had one shoot at the other at nearly point-blank range, and shot at the missile with gauss weapons with insufficient tracking speed for the missiles, and noted the to-hit probability.  I then moved the target out 8 times as far, and shot again.  The to-hit probability was exactly the same.  The missile in each case was tracked from launch onward.  It does seem a major problem, and one I previously saw in 6.4.
And just to be clear, I had 80% max tracking on the side being shot at.
(Actually, that was another proof.  This was a test game, and I forgot to give the target side tracking speed for the point-blank shot and the first time I shot at long range.  After I added it, the to-hit chance was exactly the same.)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 11:19:18 PM by byron »
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline DIT_grue

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #376 on: April 07, 2016, 11:28:09 PM »
In the Game Details window, after deleting a game the Detection and Disaster dropdowns are doubled.

Offline Shiwanabe

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Hrm, text can't drone
« Reply #377 on: April 08, 2016, 12:43:35 AM »
I took two ships, and put them on different sides.  I had one shoot at the other at nearly point-blank range, and shot at the missile with gauss weapons with insufficient tracking speed for the missiles, and noted the to-hit probability.  I then moved the target out 8 times as far, and shot again.  The to-hit probability was exactly the same.  The missile in each case was tracked from launch onward.  It does seem a major problem, and one I previously saw in 6.4.
And just to be clear, I had 80% max tracking on the side being shot at.
(Actually, that was another proof.  This was a test game, and I forgot to give the target side tracking speed for the point-blank shot and the first time I shot at long range.  After I added it, the to-hit chance was exactly the same.)
Ah, you're talking about the Tracking Time Accuracy Bonus tech, correct?

To me that sounds like the tech might work, but the mechanic it's supposed to help with isn't there. Which results in the same thing.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 04:28:31 PM by Shiwanabe »

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #378 on: April 08, 2016, 09:31:34 AM »
Ah, you're the Tracking Time Accuracy Bonus tech, correct?
Correct.  I'm not sure what I was thinking when I initially wrote that.  I've edited my original post to clarify what I meant.

To me that sounds like the tech might work, but the mechanic it's supposed to help with isn't there. Which results in the same thing.
That's quite possible, but we can't distinguish between the two.  Something is wrong with that system, and it would be nice to get it fixed.

Offline drayath

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #379 on: April 08, 2016, 05:36:42 PM »
NPR (specifically Precursor) ship maintenance is odd.

While owned by precursor maintenance cloak seems to increase, but ships don't suffer breakdowns. If you capture a ship it can have massive maintenance clocks (i have some with 9 years) and high enough failure rate to make it get back to a shipyard.

Could i suggest for if precursor ships are not going to use a real maintenance/overhaul system, that when captured the maintenance clock is set to the Maint Life to represent the minimal repairs the robots must be performing on the ships to keep they flying.

--

Another oddity, precursor defense bases (e.g. turreted gause cannons bases and missile defense bases) are ships with no engines rather than PDC's. Is that intended?

Offline drayath

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #380 on: April 08, 2016, 05:47:30 PM »
Military ships without weapons or engines show a Maint Life of 0 years. I guess this is meant to represent that failures can't happen; ideally should either show as infinite life or remove the entire line like civilian designs to make it clear.

--------------
AS Pathfinder-M - Hanger  class Scout Carrier    12 000 tons     157 Crew     1361.8 BP      TCS 240  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-46     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 3     PPV 0
Maint Life 0 Years     MSP 1213    AFR 384%    IFR 5.3%    1YR 0    5YR 0    Max Repair 12 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 60 months    Flight Crew Berths 264   
Hangar Deck Capacity 9000 tons     

Fuel Capacity 250 000 Litres    Range N/A

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
----------

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #381 on: April 08, 2016, 06:19:28 PM »
I think you are confused. It has a life of 0, so as soon it is built it will die.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline drayath

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #382 on: April 08, 2016, 07:51:02 PM »
I think you are confused. It has a life of 0, so as soon it is built it will die.

I have several of these flying around (4yr into mission so far). You can't increase the lifetime, adding more engineering just reduces the IFR but the lifetime stays 0, but if you add a single 0.1 sensor suddenly gets a lifetime>0. Think it is due to it being a military vessel, but all of the military parts on the ship (hanger/maintaince bay) can't get maintenance failures; They still get the occasional maintenance failure, but no parts are damaged and no maintenance units are used.

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #383 on: April 09, 2016, 09:48:15 AM »
So, I'm now getting errors in my latest game..

As soon as I advance in any increment, I'm getting "Error in MoveToClosestItem", error 9 was generated, blabla...."subscript out of range".

When I spam enter, it'll eventually stop..but it will automatically advance time again (despite autoturns being OFF) and spam the error again. Can only quit Aurora via Task Manager.

Any ideas? I can't think of anything specific I did to cause it.

I am getting this as well.  In the Event Updates Log, in SMView, I can see its because of an NPR trying to jump somewhere "Destination jump point not found for <ship>"

Offline Backdraft

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • B
Error 5 after fleet merge
« Reply #384 on: April 10, 2016, 05:41:18 PM »
    I am new to the game. . .  scanned 26 pages of bugs that are very hard to read for noobs like me. . .  but could not find anybody reporting this.  If double, please accept my appologies:

• 7 years in I have a cargo TG limping home running out of fuel
    • I have one survey TG running to support the cargo TG with its fuel (hoping it will work) with merge orders to that cargo TG
    • A few days later I get a refitted survey ship available on Earth that is a lot closer to the cargo TG
      gave that the same orders to merge with the cargo TG
    • As soon as Survey TG 2 merges with the cargo TG, I got the error 5 messages

Had to kill the game and got back in several times to try and pinpoint the problem. . .
    • - normal progress (1 day of game time) will give me error 5 too many times for me to try and find out how many exactly
    • - 5 seconds progress: error 5 comes up twice

I have auto sub-pulses so possibly that repeats the error on longer intervals

I found that Survey TG 1 was the culprit: the merge order was to the old Cargo TG but it did not seem to recognize it anymore after the merging of the Cargo TG with Survey TG 2.  Deleting the order prior to the actual merge of Survey 2 and Cargo 1 solved the problem.

Could it be that if you have multiple fleets merging in sequence, after the first merge the other merges do not get updated / changed to reflect the new TG to target for the intenderd merge?

Can anyone else duplicate?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #385 on: April 10, 2016, 10:43:48 PM »
Yes, that is a known issue. We need to be very careful with the join/absorb commands.

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #386 on: April 11, 2016, 09:37:40 AM »
It's not.  I've run into this before.  When you build a military ship without breakable components (I'm not sure what he's doing with them.  I built barges for ammo and MSPs.) it displays a maintenance life of 0.  They certainly don't self-destruct, and basically don't care about maintenance lives.  I didn't report it as a bug.

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #387 on: April 11, 2016, 08:56:57 PM »
A lightly armed survey ship was on its way to Uranus to refuel from some civvie harvesters there. I underestimated Uranus' orbital distance and it ran out of fuel. A tug was sent from Earth and towed it the rest of the way (Move to Uranus, Release All Tractored Ships). The tow reported a job well done, but the other ship was gone. I checked in the Ships in Class tab - it's vanished.

update: Sweet Jesus, it's a mutiny! The ship is listed as a civilian now.

update: My shipping lines deny being involved. The ship isn't listed in any of their registers. And I can't SM it back, it seems.

update: To add insult to injury, the mutineers have the nerve to complain about low fuel.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 11:34:12 PM by Zook »

The following users thanked this post: serger

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #388 on: April 12, 2016, 07:50:01 AM »
Saw someone post this a while ago, but this was the first time I saw it so I had to have a little fun. I think you know what song to put it to.

Edit; It also seems that it isn't centered on Sol at all, it is off centered like a pinwheel.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 08:24:11 AM by 83athom »
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline drayath

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #389 on: April 12, 2016, 06:45:03 PM »
Multi-tow does not seen to set the max speed correctly.

E.g.
Stations with built in tractor beams.
Give order for tow taskforce (with tractors) to tow one station, speed is X.
Give order for tow taskforce (with tractors) to tow second station, speed is still X.

If all vessels in a taskforce are linked together with tractor beams would expect the speed to be the same as a single ship with the same total EnginePower of taskforce and mass of sum of the taskforce.

All-so causes bugs with release tractored ships as <location> order.
E.g. 1) Tug (with tractor) order tow station (with tractor). 2) Tug (with tractor) order tow second station (with tractor). 3) Tug release tractored at <location>: Results in releasing one of the towed stations at the location whilst the tug retains the tow on the second stations as it continues its next order.

P.s. I'm aware i'm some-what spamming the bug thread at the moment. I am in fact enjoying the game and if i don't have the opportunity to submit code fixes this is the next best help i can offer.