Poll

What kind of 'gamer' are you ?

I'm a casual gamer , aurora is an exception
5 (8.9%)
I often play complexes game
39 (69.6%)
I rarely play casual game
5 (8.9%)
Aurora Is my religion , Buuurn you pagan!
7 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: ...Because Sharing Never Hurted Anyone !  (Read 7144 times)

Offline Zorbeltuss

• Leading Rate
  • Z
Re: ...Because Sharing Never Hurted Anyone !
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 05:09:50 AM »
I play dwarf fortress, stone soup, crusader kings (1-2), europa universalis 3, victoria (1-2), hearts of iron (2, aod and 3), Eve online and kerbal space program.
Hearts of Iron 3, is something I'm still in the learning phase though as I can't really wrap my head around  the province amount.
Also emu I didn't know you played dwarf fortress, you're now even cooler to me.

/Zorbeltuss

Offline blue emu

• Commander
  • b
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 06:45:34 AM »
Also emu I didn't know you played dwarf fortress...

Field-testing the Orbital Defense System Mark II

Offline ussugu

• Petty Officer
  • u
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 08:39:51 AM »
I have downloaded Dwarven Fortress... looked at it for about 15 minutes and shrugged and exited it.  TOOOO steep of a learning curve.  I'm sure I'll get back to it someday.

As to HoI3, I can not get it to run on my computer.  I bought it 2 different times, once from Impulse and once from Steam.  I have installed and un-installed a few times and each time I start the game, I get a stop watch icon, then a black screen, then a hoi3.exe has stopped working.

Very frustrating as I LOVE HoI2: Iron Cross and really want to try HoI3 with Motherland expansion.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 08:46:24 AM »
Rename music folder in HoI3 folder to something else, like music2.

If that works, there is a problem with your audio codecs. Getting up-to-date FFDSHOW or Matroska codecpack should fix it but in some cases that won't help. You could always just play without music or use Media Player Classic to play the music separately from the game.

Offline ussugu

• Petty Officer
  • u
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 12:11:22 PM »
Quote from: Garfunkel
Rename music folder in HoI3 folder to something else, like music2.

Cool, I'll try that when I get home... thanks!

Offline jRides

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • j
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 10:14:24 AM »
I own HoI3 and all the xpacs (thanks to Steam Sales) but never gave it any serious time (same with EU3), I first played Arsenal of Destruction (which was a HoI2 fan made xpac thing), which I loved.

Has anyone here tried Global Conflict Blue? Its a free Harpoon-a-like which I stumbled across when i tried to install Harpoon on my win7 system recently (it just wont install on a non 32bit system) - and was googling for help. The reason I was trying to install Harpoon again was after playing Naval War: Arctic Circle, which is pretty good, just a touch.. lightweight?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 10:18:38 AM by jRides »

Offline Jacob/Lee

• Lt. Commander
  • (Where I got this .gif beats me!)
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 09:06:07 PM »
I have downloaded Dwarven Fortress... looked at it for about 15 minutes and shrugged and exited it.  TOOOO steep of a learning curve.  I'm sure I'll get back to it someday.
And here you are on the Aurora forums, a forum on a game which I would say is equal to Dwarf Fortress... :P

Offline Five

• F
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 10:53:48 PM »
I recently preorded Endless Space, with that you get to play their Alpha of the game. Which i must say is alot better then some game releases i have played. It is a pretty good game if you are looking for a MoO type game.

-Five

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2012, 06:40:37 PM »
I recently preorded Endless Space, with that you get to play their Alpha of the game. Which i must say is alot better then some game releases i have played. It is a pretty good game if you are looking for a MoO type game.

-Five

I also pre-ordered Endless Space 3 or 4 days ago. It's been quite enjoyable so far as an empire-building game, although with its cinematic/largely uncontrollable/small-scale fleet battles I doubt it will hold my attention the way MoO2 did. I still feel it's quite a good deal though for the 20 dollars it costs.

Offline dgibso29

• Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 09:54:07 AM »
Yeah, I was very, very happy with Endless Space. Very much worth the money, and it's only in Alpha!

Offline Redsyxx

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • R
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 03:14:14 PM »
Quote from: Zorbeltuss link=topic=4866.      msg49717#msg49717 date=1336644590
I play dwarf fortress, stone soup, crusader kings (1-2), europa universalis 3, victoria (1-2), hearts of iron (2, aod and 3), Eve online and kerbal space program.       
Hearts of Iron 3, is something I'm still in the learning phase though as I can't really wrap my head around  the province amount.       
Also emu I didn't know you played dwarf fortress, you're now even cooler to me.       

/Zorbeltuss

Try these sets of tutorials out. . .  I found them to be very good.  I have played HOI in every inception.       

www. youtube. com/user/surray01/videos
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 03:17:12 PM by Redsyxx »

Offline ussugu

• Petty Officer
  • u
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 09:11:42 AM »
Quote from: Jacob/Lee
And here you are on the Aurora forums, a forum on a game which I would say is equal to Dwarf Fortress... :P

Well, the main screen in DF is so cluttered by symbols that it was a little intimidating.  At least Aurora has an interface that makes sense. :)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 03:43:11 PM »
Cool, I'll try that when I get home... thanks!
Did that tip help you out?

Offline Geoffroypi (OP)

• G
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2012, 06:18:47 AM »
Well, the main screen in DF is so cluttered by symbols that it was a little intimidating.  At least Aurora has an interface that makes sense.

Yes i think it has intimided everyone at the first time^^ . The first hours of Dwarf Fortress are very hard, but in fact you will quickly get used to the "interface" of DF after 2-3 little games.
* I Seriously advice you to download The "lazy nebie pack" , It include alot of indispensable tools for your fortress managment and many graphic packs including an .....  isometric renderer for a DF in 2d/3d :http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2654/4071655207_868ca417cc_o.png (look better! :) )
, and many other useful things. Its regurarly updated and very easy to use . This pack is a 'must' ; i never play DF without it !
latest version :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0
 8)

ps: There is also a tool that allow us to use the keyboard AND the mouse  in DF (useful to designate a specific area for example).
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102563.0 (i think ::))
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:28:55 AM by Geoffroypi »

Offline Geoffroypi (OP)

• G
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2012, 09:19:32 AM »
By the way ... Does anyone Knows a realistic cRPG text game set in medieval europe with real 'HISTORICAL MEDIEVAL'? (and not the pseudo-medieval we see in any common rpg). I searched and i never seen any of this kind of games, except Darklands .
I coudn't find any darklands remake/inspirated game , so i've just started (since 1 week  ;D)to program in c++ an illustrated text-based 'rpg' set in a realistic Europe of the 12th century ; a project i had in mind for a long time.