Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions  (Read 351850 times)

Offline prophetical

• Chief Petty Officer
  • p
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions
« Reply #825 on: December 28, 2018, 01:33:50 PM »
I was wondering if there is a system to limit the number of commanders who can hold specific ranks.  I understand that I can make ranks with such prohibitively high promotion scores and just manually assign people, but I was wondering if we can automate that somehow.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #826 on: December 28, 2018, 01:49:58 PM »
I was wondering if there is a system to limit the number of commanders who can hold specific ranks.  I understand that I can make ranks with such prohibitively high promotion scores and just manually assign people, but I was wondering if we can automate that somehow.

It's already automated by proportion -- either 1/3 or 1/2 the next lowest rank, but if you mean a way to ensure that your rank of 'Supreme Grand High Sky Marshal of the Galactic Battle Fleet, Survey Fleet, and Support Fleet' only ever has one person in it, then no, there isn't currently such an option.  I, too, would be happy to see a cap I could set to limit the maximum number of officers in a specific rank, so that my "Council of Twelve" would in fact have twelve members and not fifteen.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 04:13:51 PM by Father Tim »

The following users thanked this post: prophetical

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #827 on: December 28, 2018, 02:01:38 PM »
I would like to request from Steve more terrifying galactic invaders. They are really needed in my opinion.

In current Aurora, they're not very high tech level. Sure, if they come very soon by chance, they are not winnable. Especially with conventional start, which I always use. But I want to feel... TERROR... when they arrive :)

I have three possible suggestions for ways to do this:

1) Choose at game start how BRUTAL they are.
2) Have them reliably better than the players when they appear. In tech level, but also with better designs. This is my least favorite options, as it would not reward at all the player who invests a lot in tech research
3) ... who said there's only one race of galactic invaders? Maybe they have a fractured "nation", with different factions or similar. And if you do repel one.... another stronger faction will come knocking later on, with a lot of new and exciting toys  ;D

P.S. Precursors need better ship designs as well :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 02:03:28 PM by Zincat »

Online Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #828 on: December 28, 2018, 03:39:32 PM »
I would like to request from Steve more terrifying galactic invaders. They are really needed in my opinion.

In current Aurora, they're not very high tech level. Sure, if they come very soon by chance, they are not winnable. Especially with conventional start, which I always use. But I want to feel... TERROR... when they arrive :)

I have three possible suggestions for ways to do this:

1) Choose at game start how BRUTAL they are.
2) Have them reliably better than the players when they appear. In tech level, but also with better designs. This is my least favorite options, as it would not reward at all the player who invests a lot in tech research
3) ... who said there's only one race of galactic invaders? Maybe they have a fractured "nation", with different factions or similar. And if you do repel one.... another stronger faction will come knocking later on, with a lot of new and exciting toys  ;D

P.S. Precursors need better ship designs as well :)

All the spoiler races are getting an overhaul and I will be creating additional spoiler type races.

The following users thanked this post: serger

Offline prophetical

• Chief Petty Officer
  • p
« Reply #829 on: December 28, 2018, 04:12:23 PM »
Quote from: Father Tim link=topic=9841. msg111685#msg111685 date=1546026598
Quote from: prophetical link=topic=9841. msg111682#msg111682 date=1546025630
I was wondering if there is a system to limit the number of commanders who can hold specific ranks.   I understand that I can make ranks with such prohibitively high promotion scores and just manually assign people, but I was wondering if we can automate that somehow.

It's already automated by proprotion -- either 1/3 or 1/2 the net lowest rank, but if you mean a way to ensure that your rank of 'Supreme Grand High Sky Marshal of the Galactic Battle Fleet, Survey Fleet, and Support Fleet' only ever has one person in it, then no, there isn't currently such an option.   I, too, would be happy to see cap I could set to limit the maximum number of officers in a sepcific rank, so that my "Council of Twelve" would in fact have twelve members and not fifteen.

Yes, I do indeed want a GHSM of GBFSF&SF.  Is that so wrong?  ;)

But you did explain it well that a specific cap is what I am interested in.

Online Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #830 on: December 28, 2018, 04:27:27 PM »
Yes, I do indeed want a GHSM of GBFSF&SF.  Is that so wrong?  ;)

But you did explain it well that a specific cap is what I am interested in.

That is straightforward. I will try to pick it up when I run back through the suggestion thread closer to release.

The following users thanked this post: prophetical

Offline Seolferwulf

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #831 on: December 28, 2018, 07:32:04 PM »
An idea for another spoiler race, or rather just a trap installed in a system.
Whenever a black hole is generated instead of a regular system there would be a chance for a contraption to be installed on top of it.
The contraption is orbiting around the black hole and when ships enter the system it uses high tech tractor beams to pull them closer to the center until they can't escape anymore.
Ways to get away are either to destroy the contraption or its sensor or tractor beam components.

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #832 on: December 28, 2018, 09:03:40 PM »
If you are taking suggestions for spoilers - how about Saberhagen's classic Berserkers?  Huge automated warships left from some ancient war like minefields.  Activated when ships move too close.  Might have battle damage from ancient battles.  Might be a Berserker base capable of building or repairing Berserkers.  Will destroy biological life unmercifully, but inherently unpredictable. 

Hmmm...might be too powerful. 

Kurt

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #833 on: December 28, 2018, 09:44:19 PM »
Could take a page from Star Trek and have space-faring alien life forms. Space whales, etc.

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #834 on: December 28, 2018, 10:42:55 PM »
Suggestion: Modify retooling costs for a shipyard based on how similar the class designs are, similarly to how class similarity is determined for building from the same yard and for refit cost. If you change tooling from one freighter to a slightly more advanced freighter, it would take less time than changing the tooling from a destroyer to a fleet carrier.

Offline Whitecold

• Commander
  • W
« Reply #835 on: December 29, 2018, 01:41:49 AM »
A suggestion for an improvement to conditional and standing orders:

Split it up into two screens: One is entirely called conditional orders, where you can assign triggers with actions to be taken, and save them under a custom name.
Multiple orders can be joined, to make for example a 'standard refuel and maintenance policy'
Orders here could also be customized, for example limit which specific maintenance locations are eligible, or which sites should be supplied with autominers, or colonists.

Fleets themselves would just sign up to the previously defined standing order sets. If you later on change the standing and conditional orders, it will change them for any fleet that were assigned that order set.

This would prevent a lot of repetition, and allow for future expansion of more interesting and advanced conditional behavior.

The following users thanked this post: Scandinavian, Kytuzian

Online Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #836 on: December 29, 2018, 06:54:04 AM »
Could take a page from Star Trek and have space-faring alien life forms. Space whales, etc.

Yes, I keep considering space whales :)

Online Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #837 on: December 29, 2018, 06:54:34 AM »
Suggestion: Modify retooling costs for a shipyard based on how similar the class designs are, similarly to how class similarity is determined for building from the same yard and for refit cost. If you change tooling from one freighter to a slightly more advanced freighter, it would take less time than changing the tooling from a destroyer to a fleet carrier.

That is how it works in VB6 and C# Aurora :)

Online Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #838 on: December 29, 2018, 06:56:50 AM »
A suggestion for an improvement to conditional and standing orders:

Split it up into two screens: One is entirely called conditional orders, where you can assign triggers with actions to be taken, and save them under a custom name.
Multiple orders can be joined, to make for example a 'standard refuel and maintenance policy'
Orders here could also be customized, for example limit which specific maintenance locations are eligible, or which sites should be supplied with autominers, or colonists.

Fleets themselves would just sign up to the previously defined standing order sets. If you later on change the standing and conditional orders, it will change them for any fleet that were assigned that order set.

This would prevent a lot of repetition, and allow for future expansion of more interesting and advanced conditional behavior.

Interesting idea. I won't tackle it right now as I want to concentrate on getting ready for the new campaign, but I will take a look when I go through the suggestion list later.

The following users thanked this post: King-Salomon

Offline Iceranger

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
« Reply #839 on: December 29, 2018, 09:42:28 AM »
A few mostly QoL suggestions on components:

1, a 0. 02HS 'micro' fuel tank after the tiny fuel tank research.  This is mostly to be used on fighters.  It should find its usefulness as ship engines can be smaller than 1HS in C#.  (Currently the only component <0. 1HS is the fighter crew module, which is 0. 04HS, and when it is used, the fighter tonnage will end up with xx2 or xx7 ton, which can be an eyesore for some players. )

2, larger cargo holds for research, maybe a large cargo hold = 5x standard cargo hold, and a huge one = 50x standard cargo hold.

The following users thanked this post: clement, MajGenRelativity