Author Topic: Automatic sensor surveying  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Texashawk (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
Automatic sensor surveying
« on: August 06, 2011, 04:44:36 PM »
Hello,

Had a question that's been bugging me for a while: If you just want to have a ship go to each planet and/or moon (to listen for EM signals), is there a way to do that? The program assumes you mean a grav/geo survey when you select the survey standing orders, and if you don't have a survey sensor it just hangs around the planet endlessly, not moving on. I have been (tediously) manually clicking each planet in the system to move to, but is there a better way? Thanks!

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Automatic sensor surveying
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 04:52:53 PM »
For detecting anything larger than an observation outpost you probably do not need to go to each planet.  A decent sized passive sensor and a flyby through the system should be enough.  For gas giants just pick one moon and you should have any working colonies spotted.  For other planets put a waypoint or two in that will cause you to fly near the planets.  For the asteroid belt you can probably use the same technique with a ring of waypoints in the middle of each belt.

Hope this helps you

Brian

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 06:58:30 PM »
I actually have a similar problem - when it discovers a new system my race does a probe by traveling to every planet.  It would be nice if there were a "probed" flag/canned order that enter the route automagically for you.  Maybe something for the suggestions thread....

John

Offline Texashawk (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 10:44:55 PM »
This. Exactly. Yes. Sigh.

I actually have a similar problem - when it discovers a new system my race does a probe by traveling to every planet.  It would be nice if there were a "probed" flag/canned order that enter the route automagically for you.  Maybe something for the suggestions thread....

John

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 01:32:55 AM »
I only scout likely worlds with my initial grav-survey ship that entered then let geo-survey ships in for their work. I've had it peaceful in my 5.51 campaign so far... Once an active threat is found I'll likely go for a scout that has big actives and passives to go through each system I find.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 09:51:24 AM »
I only scout likely worlds with my initial grav-survey ship that entered then let geo-survey ships in for their work. I've had it peaceful in my 5.51 campaign so far... Once an active threat is found I'll likely go for a scout that has big actives and passives to go through each system I find.

My races typically don't start probing first until they find evidence that .... [ominous music] there's somebody out there [/ominous music]

John