Author Topic: How to follow contacts  (Read 1117 times)

Offline captain_carrot (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • c
How to follow contacts
« on: April 19, 2018, 10:47:25 AM »
I'm fighting an enemy that uses masses of small fighters ~750 tons using my own fast beam warships.   The problem is, when I assign my battle task group to chase these jerks down to attack them, they destroy the contact that they are "Following," and then stop moving.   If I try to assign them a new contact to follow, it takes them a few minutes to acknowledge, during which time they're sitting ducks taking pot shots whenever the enemy gets close to shoot.   Since these contacts are stacked, is there any way to just follow the group around without having to reorder my units every tick, or a way to trick my battle group into going where I want without having them get confused every 30 seconds. . .

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: How to follow contacts
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 01:21:51 PM »
Maybe have them follow the furthest contact, and then just engage others as you range?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 10:17:28 AM »
Task Force Training!

Once their TF Training level is at 100% there won't be any further delays. But no, there is no "follow mass of contacts". What you can do is micro-manage the firing solutions so you don't destroy the contact you're following.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 10:50:13 AM »
Changing targets for weapons is a lot easier than changing course.  So just make sure that you destroy the contact you are following last.

One of the issues for PvP in Aurora is that if a player realizes WHICH ship their opponent is following, they can use that ship to draw the enemy into a range bracket they are not intending.  It isn't really set up to allow ships to automatically try to keep a minimum range from all contacts either.