Author Topic: Compressed Fuel Storage  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Adseria (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Compressed Fuel Storage
« on: October 06, 2018, 09:16:03 AM »
So, I was exploring some ruins with my Construction brigade, and I get a message saying that "23rd Construction Brigade has recovered 29x Compressed Fuel Storage System on Alpha Centauri-B I."

I don't have any components in the stockpile, I don't have any new research options and I don't have any new components in the class design view. Is it just because I haven't researched Ultra Large fuel tanks, or is it the bug that I read about online? Or am I missing something really obvious?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: Compressed Fuel Storage
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 05:25:42 PM »
First, refresh all the windows in question by closing/re-opening, or re-selecting your race.  To add Compressed Fuel Storage to a ship design, you'll need to check the box for 'include alien components' or something like that.

The 29 ship components should be listed on the F2 Population & Production window for the colony where the alien 'city' is being explored, in the Stockpiles section.  If you use the Orders window to send a freighter to that colony, you should see an option to 'Load Ship Components' or possibly 'Load Ship Components - Compressed Fuel Storage'.

Once you have them at a colony with a shipyard - and you have designed a ship including them - you can build those ship(s) as long as your supply lasts.

Alternately, take them to a colony with at least one Research Facility, and you can disassemble them for Research Points towards the Compressed Fuel Storage technology.  earn enough points this way (and there's no guarantee you will) and you can build all of them that you want.

Offline Adseria (OP)

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 03:39:15 AM »
First, refresh all the windows in question by closing/re-opening, or re-selecting your race.
My screen isn't big enough to have multiple windows open, so I always close them when I'm done with them anyway, except the system map.

To add Compressed Fuel Storage to a ship design, you'll need to check the box for 'include alien components' or something like that.
Where is this option? I looked in the class design view, but I can't seem to see that option.

The 29 ship components should be listed on the F2 Population & Production window for the colony where the alien 'city' is being explored, in the Stockpiles section.  If you use the Orders window to send a freighter to that colony, you should see an option to 'Load Ship Components' or possibly 'Load Ship Components - Compressed Fuel Storage'.

I think I already said there are no components in the stockpile, and when I tried to send a freighter, the list of components for pickup was empty too. And before you say it, yes, I'm sure it's the only population on that planet.

First, refresh all the windows in question by closing/re-opening, or re-selecting your race.  To add Compressed Fuel Storage to a ship design,
Once you have them at a colony with a shipyard - and you have designed a ship including them - you can build those ship(s) as long as your supply lasts.

I didn't know this was an option. I was just planning to:

Alternately, take them to a colony with at least one Research Facility, and you can disassemble them for Research Points towards the Compressed Fuel Storage technology.  earn enough points this way (and there's no guarantee you will) and you can build all of them that you want.

And I already had research facilities on the planet with the ruins. Again, no new research options, so it didn't just automatically disassemble them or anything.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 05:07:20 PM »
And I already had research facilities on the planet with the ruins. Again, no new research options, so it didn't just automatically disassemble them or anything.

Then my best guess is that your empire has already disassembled them for research.  There are a few checkboxes on the Research window to show completed, or show all -- things like that.  Playing around with them you might find the CFS research project.

Alternately, open SM mode and check the alien colony on the planet.  The 29 CFS might be in that stockpile.

Finally, are you still exploiting the ruins, or are your troops done now?  There was (is?) a known bug where defeating the last of the robot defenders caused the alien colony to surrender and disappear, taking installations and stockpiles with it.

Offline Adseria (OP)

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 06:58:16 AM »

Then my best guess is that your empire has already disassembled them for research.  There are a few checkboxes on the Research window to show completed, or show all -- things like that.  Playing around with them you might find the CFS research project.

Alternately, open SM mode and check the alien colony on the planet.  The 29 CFS might be in that stockpile.

Finally, are you still exploiting the ruins, or are your troops done now?  There was (is?) a known bug where defeating the last of the robot defenders caused the alien colony to surrender and disappear, taking installations and stockpiles with it.

If they were automatically disassembled, and that was enough to complete the tech, would I not have the ability to add the component to my ships?

Also, I was still exploiting the ruins.

Incidentally, I can't check anything; I decided to reinstall the game to try to get it working properly (didn't work; see "more error 339 spam").

Offline amram

• Lieutenant
  • a
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 07:25:05 AM »
Compressed Fuel storage system suffers from a bad entry in the database.    It appears it should be ID 26420, as listed in TechSystem, but in ShipDesignComponents, it is 65061, conflicting with Compressed Fuel Storage Tiny.    This caused issues in placing the component during ship design when I obtained the tech, and may have been the issue(or part of) here too.    Correcting the conflicting IDs in ShipDesignComponents to match their entries in TechSystem resolved all apparent issues when I ran into that. 

In my case, placing one of either normal of tiny compressed tanks would place, or remove both together, they were inseparable, apparently because when I asked for item 65061 it matched two items and so I got both. 

If the code tried to place item 26420 from ShipDesignComponents, that ID doesn't exist in that section and would result in failure to place the item - no idea if it would complain or silently move on. 

Not certain that is what occurred here, but it seems rather likely given it involved an item with conflicting ID entries in the database.

If that one occurs again and is related to the IDs, or you just want to pre-empt the issue going forwards, I can repair that much in the database. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 07:29:20 AM by amram »